It is currently Dec 11, 2019 5:06 am 

If you are looking for a new pet, click here for pets for needing adoption, rescue, or for sale.
Click here for lost/found pets and click here for pet related advertisements.

Image Rainbow Bridge page Image Add your fur baby here Image

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Our dog was shot! Please tell me what you think(long story)
Post Posted: Apr 23, 2007 11:35 am 
Infrequent Pinecam poster
Hi everyone, first time posting but have been visiting for a long time. I would like to get some of your thoughts. I'll try to keep this short but need to be as accurate as possible to get honest responses. Let me start by saying that my wife and I have lived in Woodside for almost 17 years. Thru the years we have had a total of 5 dogs, 3 cats, and 3 horses and we have never had a complaint or visit from animal control and have never allowed our animals to roam. Cats are always indoors and dogs have a fenced area. A little over four years ago I became disabled due to vestibular damage, that makes it very difficult for me to balance. In 06, our last dog, succumbed to old age, and I wanted another companion. As luck wood have it, a friend who was moving needed to find a home for her dog. Knowing the dog, I jumped at the chance. One evening In Dec. of 06, I was taking Ginger down to the barn with me to feed our last remaining horse. She did not have a leash on as she was doing very well staying with me. Anyway, I fell and it took me awhile to make it back into the house. Probably about five minutes or so. All the while I was yelling for Ginger, who had wandered off during this time. Once back in the house I continued to call for her from my deck, as I was in no condition to go looking for her in the dark. A short time later, I again went out on the deck to call Ginger, when my wife came home from work, stopped in the middle of the driveway got out of the car and started running towards the house. She was panicked and said Ginger was laying in the driveway and had been hurt. Ginger had tried to make home, but couldn't make it any further. She had been laying there in the dark where I was unable to see her from the deck. My wife helped me down to the car because she could not lift Ginger by herself. We didn't know what had happened but Ginger was bleeding, had gone into shock and was obviously in bad shape. We were able to get her into the car and I laid over her to keep her warm while my wife drove us to the Vet. Thankfully Curt is only five minutes away. Upon examination we were told that she had been shot. The bullet had entered from behind and Xrays revealed that it had totally shattered her leg. We went home not knowing if she would survive. First thing the next morning, my wife and I decided to follow the trail of blood. It led next door and ended in the neighbors driveway. New neighbors, who had moved in about three weeks before. I went to the door and a teen-aged boy answered. I asked if his parents were home and he said no. I then asked if he knew anything about a dog being shot? To which he replied, "not that I know of". Anyway, when we were finally able to talk with his parents, they admitted that their son had shot our dog. The son said that he decided to go to his garage, in the dark, not turn on the outdoor lights and take a loaded 9 MM hand gun with him. On his way to the garage he says he heard hissing from the darkness. He then says he couldn't see what it was but it was coming towards him. He then yelled and started waving his hands but it only hissed and kept coming at him so he shot at it, but only to scare it. Because he thought it was a mountain lion. Only when the dog yelped did know that it was not a mountain lion but indeed a dog. OK, now if the boy had said that the dog had growled or barked, I could believe that, but hissing! He shouts and waves his arms but the dog doesn't growl or bark it hisses and comes at him. So he shoots. If the dog had been shot in the chest or even in the side, I could believe that she was coming towards him. But she was shot directly from behind. The bullet entered her hind end next to her tail traveled thru her left leg and ended up behind her left front shoulder. I don't buy his story! Dr. Curt had to wait almost a week before Ginger was strong enough to survive the operation to remove her left rear leg. The parents consider this all an unfortunate accident, and refuse to take any responsibility for their sons actions. Please let me be clear that I am in no way saying, that I should not be responsible for controlling where my dog is or that my disability is in any way an excuse for my dog going next door. I only told these things to show that I feel I am a responsible pet owner. I also want to make it clear that I would be willing to pay a fine for letting my dog go on the neighbors property but I believe that they should pay also. The son had no business using a deadly weapon and shooting at something that he couldn't see.....if that's what really happened! Sorry if I rambled on but wanted to give you the whole story. Please let me know what your thoughts are and I hope my next post will be happier if not shorter! By the way I would like to thank Dr. Curt, his wife Wendy, Rosie and Lynn at Bighorn Vet. for not only saving Gingers life but for all the help and friendship thru out the years. Especially Curt for all he has done for us. We are so happy that Ginger has survived and continues to add so much to our lives.

Post subject:
Post Posted: Apr 23, 2007 11:59 am 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
I am very sorry to hear your dog was shot and I'm glad her life was able to be saved. I find it very hard to believe this boy didn't see what he was shooting. The only hissing that I could think of was if there was a cat nearby that your dog found interest in but the boy did not mention that according to your story.
I hear about this kind of thing way too often and I'm sorry you are dealing with this. I hope you can find some resolve with your new neighbors soon.

Post subject:
Post Posted: Apr 23, 2007 12:43 pm 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
I, too, am so sorry to hear about Ginger. I also live in Woodside - Do you and Ginger walk down Nova? I see a gentleman and a dog with three legs taking a walk almost every day. If so, I'll wave and say "hello."

This is horrible to think that children are "playing" with 9MM guns! Shooting an animal is a very serious thing.........did you call the Sheriff?

Post subject:
Post Posted: Apr 23, 2007 12:50 pm 
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
How old is the son? If he is under age and not legally allowed to have a gun, I would call the cops for sure. Someone who sin't trained and is just shooting at things without knowing what they are should not have a weapon...
I am so sorry for your pup!
Animal cruelty is wrong... Report it!

Post subject: Dog shot
Post Posted: Apr 23, 2007 12:56 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
You have a neighbor kid who like to think he is big and likes to carry a gun. Very bad situation.

Nothing you can do about this because the dog was off her leash. We can only hope his parents send this kid to safety training AND hide all the guns, next time it could be a hissing child. So sorry for you and your dog. What an awful situation.

Post subject:
Post Posted: Apr 23, 2007 1:00 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
I'm so sorry to hear about this...

From here this seems like recklessly irresponsible behavior on the part of this teenage boy. He thinks to take a GUN out in the dark, and not a FLASHLIGHT? That, of course, assumes he isn't telling a story...

I hope some kind of consequence does come to this boy, or he'll learn that he can get away with this kind of c*#p. It won't help you or your dog, but this kid needs to understand that he did something seriously wrong, whether it was an accident or intentional.

Post subject:
Post Posted: Apr 23, 2007 1:21 pm 
Thanks for the support everyone...

DaisyLover..Ya, thats me walking on Nova Rd...

4Dogmom...16 years old, and I called the sheriff when it happened...still waiting on outcome..

Post subject:
Post Posted: Apr 23, 2007 1:30 pm 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
Since the parents don't seem too worried about it, I'd involve the police. No teenager should be carrying around a handgun. I'm sorry that it was your dog, but imagine if it was a child?

Post subject:
Post Posted: Apr 23, 2007 1:35 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
Awful, awful... I'm glad Ginger made it through, but that is terrible.

If you feel up to it after all this, I suggest you call Animal Control and explain what happened. I used to think that someone could shoot a dog, without any legal consequences, if it was on someone's property or messing around in their trash, but I have since learned that this is not true (at least not in JeffCo...are you in Park or JeffCo?). I don't know the exact fine points of what is/isn't legal, so it'd be best to get the info straight from Animal Control.

I suppose there's a risk of being fined for having had a loose dog...don't know...maybe if that's a concern you could get a neighbor or friend to call and do one of those "I have a friend who..." questions.

Post subject:
Post Posted: Apr 23, 2007 1:35 pm 
FBTRIKE wrote:
Thanks for the support everyone...

DaisyLover..Ya, thats me walking on Nova Rd...

4Dogmom...16 years old, and I called the sheriff when it happened...still waiting on outcome..

Well Hi Neighbor! I will come out and say hello the next time that I see you and Ginger walking! She seems to be a sweet little girl and I just love to see her walking by.........she's a doll. The best to you both.

Post subject:
Post Posted: Apr 23, 2007 2:15 pm 
I have to say that I agree with the general consensus on this, involve the police, this kid should not have been handling a firearm much less shooting at a dog in the dark. I doubt that he is licensed to use that fire arm and he is a threat to you and anyone else including himself.

It was not an accident, the dog walking behind the target that he was practicing shooting his 22 cal. at is an accident. He took aim and shot your dog, period. As she was running from him. He needs to be held responsible for his actions, accident or not.

Have you talked to a lawyer about this? There could be other incidences of this kind of behavior. I have a client who's dog was shot by the neighbor, while in her own yard. The guy turned out to have several outstanding warrants and had been arrested several times for assault with a deadly weapon. He went to jail.

I am glad that your little girl is alive.

"If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives; Be kind anyway." -Mother Teresa Of Calcutta

http://www.pinecam.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=20745

Post subject:
Post Posted: Apr 23, 2007 2:22 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Children that willfully harm animals are often in serious psychological trouble. If he hurt Ginger on purpose- he needs help. If it was an accident, he needs to learn more about gun safety. Either way, I think he needs to talk to the police.

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next