It is currently Dec 8, 2019 4:37 am 

If you are looking for a new pet, click here for pets for needing adoption, rescue, or for sale.
Click here for lost/found pets and click here for pet related advertisements.

Image Rainbow Bridge page Image Add your fur baby here Image

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Have you ever had to euthanize a pet?
Yes, and it was sad, but that's just the way it goes -- animals die. 7%  7%  [ 4 ]
Yes, and I/we were very upset, grieved the loss, and (eventually?) got another. 86%  86%  [ 51 ]
Yes, and it hurt too much to ever go through again -- no more pets. 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
No. 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 59
 Post subject: Euthansia at Home, and Grieving
Post Posted: Aug 20, 2007 1:10 pm 
Scanner Monitor
Scanner Monitor
Channel 7 has a very good story today about having to put pets to sleep, and doing at home:

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/family/ ... 02007&ts=H

A couple excerpts:

For people without kids under their roof, pets often become surrogate children. This can lead to eyebrow-raising silliness -- birthday parties for dogs? -- but the profound emotional attachment is genuine.

In-home service is not for everyone. Some folks can't bear the idea of a room in the house that will always be associated with the animal's death. "They want to have the last memories of the pet being alive and viable at home

"People ask me if I get depressed, but I don't," [ a vet ] said. "I'm always in the midst of great love, this tremendous bond between people and animals. That's what the tears mean."

We are all in this together. Not a few of us, but all of us.

Post subject:
Post Posted: Aug 20, 2007 1:26 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
It's hard to know how to answer your poll, AL. Having lost 2 kitties over two consecutive summers and the knowledge that my remaining pets are getting old I'm not sure how many more times I can go through the grief. By the same token, I'm not sure if I could live without a soft, warm, cuddly companion in my life.

Post subject:
Post Posted: Aug 20, 2007 1:28 pm 
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
There was a big article on this subject in yesterday Denver Post.

As much as it's painful to have to put a pet down, I can't imagine living without one (or more!).

Post subject:
Post Posted: Aug 20, 2007 1:48 pm 
Scanner Monitor
Scanner Monitor
Hmmmm, MG. I hadn't thought about that option.

Mods/Admins?? How do I edit the poll to add this option? I can get into my original post, but not the poll. ???

Post subject:
Post Posted: Aug 20, 2007 1:56 pm 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
It is so hard to lose a pet, You have to just love em like crazy when they are here. I can't imagine not having animals around. Rescue another one and spoil it in honor of the pet that you lost. Kind of an on-going memorial fund.

Post subject:
Post Posted: Aug 20, 2007 2:09 pm 
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Prolific Pinecam Poster
I think that animals who have passed WANT us to eventually move on and get another pet to share our love with. I think our passed friends would want us to be happy and open our hearts to new friends.
It sure is hard sayign goodbye though :(

Post subject:
Post Posted: Aug 20, 2007 2:27 pm 
I don't think I could force myself to do it, unless in an emergency situation, otherwise, I would rather let a vet handle it.

Post subject:
Post Posted: Aug 20, 2007 2:33 pm 
Scanner Monitor
Scanner Monitor
A lot of people can't bear to watch. When I've had opportunity, I've stayed with the dog until he just goes to sleep, then have to leave. I can't bear to see my dog just laying there, dead.

A husky I had bled to death in my lap in the dirt. That was brutal. :(

Post subject:
Post Posted: Aug 20, 2007 2:53 pm 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
It is a horrible thing to go through but I have stayed right next to all the pets I have lost, they have been there for me and I want to be there for them until the end. It would break my heart to just drop them off at a place where they are scared and knowing there is something going on because of how upset I would be leaving them. Although I do understand if it is too hard for some people to stay everyone handles things differently.

As soon as they pass they are in a better place and all is forgotten and healed.

Post subject:
Post Posted: Aug 20, 2007 4:27 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
I recently had my dog Spencer put to sleep. It is the first time I have ever had to make that decision and it was the hardest thing I have ever done. I chose to have it done at home. He left surrounded by love in a familiar and comfortable environment. For me, I can't imagine doing it any other way.

Even though it tore me up to see, hug and kiss his lifeless body, I HAD to be there with him to the very end, snuggling him and letting him know how much I love him. He would have stayed with me if the roles had been reversed. And I also felt that I had to let his brother Barkley see him too. So he could have some understanding as to why Spencer was gone.

The only time I think I could consider doing it in a vets office is if I had my pet brought in thinking some procedure could help him/her and then the vet telling me my pet is suffering and it is time.

But we are all different in the ways we handle and perceive death. I'm just sharing my views. But I certainly have no judgment against those who choose to go to a vet and not to be in the room during the procedure. It is very very hard to witness.

Even though their passing is devastating, as long as I have the ability to care for a dog, I will always have one at my side. My dogs are my kids and get spoiled in all the best ways possible.

Post subject:
Post Posted: Aug 20, 2007 5:16 pm 
I have had many, many dogs in my life. I have had to have several put to sleep for different health reasons - cancer, brain tumor, auto immune disease... It is ALWAYS so hard and painful, but I could not imagine life without the unconditional love of my dogs.
The same is true for me of people... As painful it is to lose people I love, I wouldn't build a wall and miss out on that love either...
I must say that I am glad that we are able to ease our pets suffering when we can. As heartbreaking as it is, to see the pain leave them is a comfort...
My pups are great! :)

Post subject:
Post Posted: Aug 20, 2007 5:33 pm 
Scanner Monitor
Scanner Monitor
CooknThyme wrote:
...He would have stayed with me if the roles had been reversed..

Wow. What a true, sobering statement. I'm going to remember that.

I'm glad this story came out when it did, because several people here have lost pets recently, and most of us have lost one at some time.

I'm sure there are people who will never understand the way we treat our animals, but there is a very strong, valid bond there.

My dogs know me better than any human, and they like me anyway! :D They are just as thrilled to see me regardless of what mood I'm in, or how I'm feeling. Nobody can make me laugh like they do, regardless of the situation. :)

Here are a couple great Mark Twain quotes:

Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.

The dog is a gentleman; I hope to go to his heaven, not man's.

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next