It is currently Dec 11, 2019 5:09 am 

If you are looking for a new pet, click here for pets for needing adoption, rescue, or for sale.
Click here for lost/found pets and click here for pet related advertisements.

Image Rainbow Bridge page Image Add your fur baby here Image

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Have you ever had to euthanize a pet?
Yes, and it was sad, but that's just the way it goes -- animals die. 7%  7%  [ 4 ]
Yes, and I/we were very upset, grieved the loss, and (eventually?) got another. 86%  86%  [ 51 ]
Yes, and it hurt too much to ever go through again -- no more pets. 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
No. 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 59
 Post subject:
Post Posted: Aug 20, 2007 8:55 pm 
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
Our 13-year old Shetland Sheepdog died a week ago today. We had one of the vets subsequently mentioned in the Denver Post article come out to the house. She was very supportive and helped it be a peaceful process out on the grass in our backyard. We cried and cried but were glad to be able to give him an unstressful end to his suffering. It was a relief not to have to take him back to the vet's office where he never cared to be anyway. My husband and I agreed we were glad to have gone that route.

Post subject:
Post Posted: Aug 20, 2007 9:02 pm 
I've held three dogs in my arms as they were euthanized. I owed it to them.

Post subject:
Post Posted: Aug 21, 2007 6:00 am 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
monkeygirl wrote:
It's hard to know how to answer your poll, AL. Having lost 2 kitties over two consecutive summers and the knowledge that my remaining pets are getting old I'm not sure how many more times I can go through the grief. By the same token, I'm not sure if I could live without a soft, warm, cuddly companion in my life.

I tried to go "cold turkey" once after a Chesapeake that I had went through a devastating staff infection and tragic death and two weeks later to put down my cat because of kidney failure. I said no more, never again, my heart hurts too much. I got home and the silence SCREAMED at me.
Pets are too important in my life to NOT have them around. Most days, they keep me sane and life's BS into real perspective. When I find I get home after a "hard day" and am stressed over nonsense and I see one of the boys flop over on the floor waiting for a belly rub, well that brings me right back to what's important. Enjoying the moment and the little things that make things all right.

Cheers,
Angela

Post subject:
Post Posted: Aug 21, 2007 6:28 am 
Some folks believe strongly in not euthanizing an animal. My understanding is that their feelings come from a spiritual perspective that "God" should decide when the pet takes its last breath - that if we interrupt the process we may be denying the animal's soul an opportunity to work out some last bit of karma or learning or something that needs to take place in this lifetime. While I have a huge amount of respect for this belief, I have also had the unfortunate experience of having our beautiful mare suffer horribly while her foal watched and bellowed - our vet on vacation and the alternate vet taking too long and getting lost on the way. I would have given anything to have been able to euthanize her myself and stop the suffering.

Post subject:
Post Posted: Aug 21, 2007 6:58 am 
Scanner Monitor
Scanner Monitor
We have been entrusted with the resources to improve the quality of lives. I believe it is our moral responsibility to do so.

(For your reading pleasure, I clipped all of my :rant: out. :) )

We are all in this together. Not a few of us, but all of us.

Post subject:
Post Posted: Aug 21, 2007 7:00 am 
Al, I agree... we take better care of our pets than we do our human loved ones... don't get me started on that one...

If you have a pet you wish to add to the Rainbow Bridge Site, please either post in the Pet Forum Rainbow Bridge Page viewtopic.php?f=85&t=78851 or PM me with pet names you would like them added. If you have others already there, please give me their names so I can add your pet with them.

Post subject:
Post Posted: Aug 21, 2007 7:33 am 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
:yeah that:

And our pets love us more purely (without an agenda) and care for us more tenderly than most human can ever begin to try to do.

Post subject:
Post Posted: Aug 21, 2007 7:39 am 
Scanner Monitor
Scanner Monitor
And they are vulnerable. They can't get help for themselves, they can't tell us what's going on.

Post subject:
Post Posted: Aug 21, 2007 7:49 am 
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Prolific Pinecam Poster
sallymorocco wrote:
Our 13-year old Shetland Sheepdog died a week ago today. We had one of the vets subsequently mentioned in the Denver Post article come out to the house. She was very supportive and helped it be a peaceful process out on the grass in our backyard. We cried and cried but were glad to be able to give him an unstressful end to his suffering. It was a relief not to have to take him back to the vet's office where he never cared to be anyway. My husband and I agreed we were glad to have gone that route.

Sorry to hear that sallly... How wonderful it is that you and your family were able to send him off with love and familiarity. Only one week later and I am sure it is still very difficult for your family. Stay strong.

Post subject:
Post Posted: Aug 21, 2007 9:33 am 
I agree that animals should be put out of their misery when injured/sick. If I could not reach the vet, I would do it myself to any pet if the situation dictated so. I would find it very hard to do, but I think that it would be my responsibility if the situation were bad. When I see threads in the Living Room about "sick ground squirrels" and the like, I just have to roll my eyes, because I think it is always better to remove the animal from its misery than let it suffer, and in that case start a frenzy to contact a vet/DOW (provided it is on your property, otherwise I would let nature take its course). I don't think keeping a very ill pet that should be put out of its misery is appropriate. Just my 2 cents.

Post subject:
Post Posted: Aug 21, 2007 11:08 am 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
I haven't had to put a pet down, thank heavens.

I would like to think that I could do it at home. I like the idea of out on the grass. My guy would love that. He wouldn't want to be at the vet's.

The fact that he would die at home wouldn't bother me afterward. I would take comfort that he was where he felt safe.

I guess if you don't care for your pet's illness, then euthanizing would be wrong, too. But if you give your pet medicine to help, then I think it's our responsibility to make sure they go comfortably, since they lived longer than if they had no care. does that make sense?

Post subject:
Post Posted: Aug 21, 2007 11:20 am 
Scanner Monitor
Scanner Monitor
Yes. I think a lot of people with terminal diseases wish someone would "pull their plug." That's a whole different thing, of course, morally.

I would prefer to be at home with my dog for his sake, as well as my own. In situations like this, I don't cry, I weep like there's no tomorrow, which always gives me an instant migraine. Not a good way to drive to the vet's office or back home.

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next