Click here for the Gardening In 2017 topic with hints, experiments,
results, and just plain what's happening in our gardens this year

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Pest control in Greenhouse
Post Posted: Jan 9, 2018 9:20 am 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
How do you organically manage aphids in a greenhouse? My winter lettuce is covered with them overnight. This is my first greenhouse that I could grow in year round.

What is the best way to heat your greenhouse? I love learning and growing, we are vegan so growing as much of our greens as possible is so satisfying.

Thank you for any information you can provide.

Post subject: Re: Pest control in Greenhouse
Post Posted: Jan 9, 2018 9:45 am 
New Poster
Neem oil can be used to treat a number of garden ailments, including:

Insects: Neem oil kills or repels many harmful insects and mites, including aphids, whiteflies, snails, nematodes, mealybugs, cabbage worms, gnats, moths, cockroaches, flies, termites, mosquitoes, and scale. It kills some bugs outright, attacks the larvae of others, and repels plant munchers with its bitter taste.
Fungus: Neem oil is also effective in preventing fungal diseases such as black spot, anthracnose, rust, and mildew.
Disease: As if that wasn’t enough, neem oil also battles viruses that can harm plants.

Post Posted: Jan 9, 2018 1:34 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
Neem oil works well, as was said. I mix mine as the bottle says and and a table spoon of dish soap per quart as well.
As for heating, I have a Southern Burner gas heater. I highly recommend this heater, I don’t garden year around, but I start early each year and continue easily into November. I have a large greenhouse and many outside raised beds, so I take a break from gardening for a few months.
I have the non vented one, follow the instructions regarding fresh air in, and air out though a vent and it does a great job.
Steve/ Mr Hermit

Post Posted: Jan 26, 2018 10:44 am 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
Where do you get this Neem oil ? Does it work on gnats ?? I seem to get some gnats around my house plants.
I don't have plants sitting in water.. I have sprayed rubbing achol around the base of the plants and pots..
Seemed like it worked a little bit.. I have used ferti loom potting soil.. Sometimes I mix it with perlight (sp)
Should I mix it with something else ?
Thanks for any advise..

Post Posted: Jan 26, 2018 2:49 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
You can order it online at Amazon, or many others. You can also pick some up at any garden center, and I know Moore Lumber in Pine Junction has it. Good luck, I think it kills nats as well, mix as directed and spray affected plants.
I use Ferti Loom soil too, I don’t think it’s the soil. Nats and some other insects lay their eggs in the soil, the neem oil should do the trick and break the cycle. Indoors you will probably notice the smell of the neem oil, wait for a day when you can open the windows a bit if it bothers you.

Post Posted: Jan 26, 2018 4:27 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Location: in a state of gratitude (well, I try to be anyway...)
Neem oil is good, as well as other commercial organic sprays, home made sprays and DE.

The trick is understanding the reproductive cycles of aphids. Most organic sprays don't kill the eggs. So you must reapply often (every 3-5 days) over the course of about 3 weeks to get them under control.

Within several days of hatching they are already laying eggs. And some aphids give birth to live babies who are born pregnant.

You must adhere to a strict schedule of spraying not just whenever you get around to it.

Good luck!

Post Posted: Jan 26, 2018 8:10 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
Yes, what she said, I typically use ladybugs and preying mantis to control aphids, but when it starts getting hotter as summer gets into full swing, say late July and into August, the ladybugs start flying away. They don’t care much for hot Greenhouses, the mantis don’t care, but as they get bigger they are looking for larger insects. As the ladybugs were dwindling the aphids came calling, and destroyed most of my peppers, and did major damage to my flowers, in just a short time. I was out there pretty much everyday spraying for several weeks, I finally got the little bast***s under control. Lucky for me they didn’t seem to be interested in my tomatoes, so I got a very nice harvest of matters.
Anyway, I’ll be ready for them this year, I retired from my job after 35+ years, I will have more time to garden :applause:
Mr Hermit

Post Posted: Jan 27, 2018 2:00 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
Thanks for the info.. I'll try garden centers and maybe lady bugs.. Not sure if they like being in the house or gnats..
Seems like when I water the house plants..these gnats are flying around the pots or in the pot...
I'll try anything..

Post Posted: Jan 28, 2018 6:27 am 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
chai girl wrote:
... and maybe lady bugs.. Not sure if they like being in the house or gnats..

Personally I would not put ladybugs in the house. I doubt that they eat gnats anyway. They are great for aphids in a greenhouse but not your home. We were addressing the OP's question.

For gnats in your home there are other methods
https://www.organiclesson.com/6-ways-to ... s-at-home/

Post Posted: Jan 28, 2018 8:07 am 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
SoccerMom wrote:
What is the best way to heat your greenhouse? I love learning and growing, we are vegan so growing as much of our greens as possible is so satisfying.

Heating a greenhouse can be prohibitively expensive or it can be minimal costs. There are many things to consider, materials of construction, leaks, heat sinks, what do you want to grow, how often do you want to check on things. Then what type of heat are you comfortable with: electric or burning wood, propane, natural gas.

Personally I'm afraid to burn anything in the greenhouse. But there are many heaters designed specifically for greenhouses. Mr Hermit has a wonderful unit (as described above). But he uses his only to extend his 2 season designed greenhouse into a 3 season greenhouse. So the fuel cost is probably not too bad.

If your greenhouse is made of an aluminum frame and has single cell glazing (similar to a Harbor Freight type greenhouse kit), personally I would either not even try to grow in the dead of winter or I would try to beef up insulation, add a heat sink and then limit what I grow to freeze tolerant, low light tolerant veggies (like hardy lettuce, arugula and winter kale) and don't bother to try and heat at all. You will definitely need to use a floating row cover. Read about the Elliot Coleman methods of winter gardening w/o heat. And if your root veggies are fully grown by mid Nov, they should keep in the soil all winter (don't overwater or they will rot).

But if you have a greenhouse designed specifically for 4 seasons in extreme winter conditions (wood construction, 3-5 cell glazing) then heating can be economical and you can grow any low-light tolerant veggie. And with good supplemental lighting you open up more choices on what you can grow.

My greenhouse is a growing dome, designed specifically for growing in extreme winter conditions (5 cell glazing, insulated walls up to 3.5 feet, buried insulation around the outside perimeter, good heat sink, etc.). Mine has a HUGE heat sink (systems that retain heat) with 3ft high raised beds, a 400 gal water tank, and gravel floor.

I could easily get by with no heater, but I still use an oil filled, electric radiant heater on a "freeze protection" thermostat. Sometimes this little unit can not respond fast enough to our rapid drops in temps at night, so I can drop below freezing during Dec & Jan. But typically stay above freezing otherwise. I've not noticed a difference in my winter electric bills whether I am or am not heating the greenhouse any particular winter.

In summary, if you do not already have a greenhouse specifically designed for 4 seasons in extreme winter conditions , my advise for winter gardening up here is to not bother with expensive heating methods at all. Instead:
*equip your greenhouse with good insulation systems (plus plug all leaks)
*add adequate heat sinks
*use floating row covers
*and then focus on growing things that don't require supplemental heat
*Read about the Elliot Coleman methods of winter gardening w/o heat

Good luck!

Post Posted: Jan 28, 2018 7:15 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
Thanks again for the info on the gnats..I didn't think the ladybugs would survive in the house..
But, I will try some of the organic ways to get rid of them

Post Posted: Feb 14, 2018 3:07 pm 
Infrequent Pinecam poster
Infrequent Pinecam poster
Sassenach - What do you have to do with Neem Oil once the plant is ready to harvest? Just give it an extra good rinse, and is it ok to ingest small amounts if it doesn't all get rinsed off?

chai girl - I've also heard that Hydrogen peroxide sprayed on the soil is a great way to kill mold. (I haven't tried this personally yet) That method is probably more useful for indoor plants, or perhaps for greenhouse plants where the air is more stagnant and mold has a tendency to grow.

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next