results, and just plain what's happening in our gardens this year

Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Re: 2018 Gardening Plans, Progress, Successes, Questions
Post Posted: May 14, 2018 8:51 am 
Infrequent Pinecam poster
Infrequent Pinecam poster
Umm!! Thanks for the input!!!

I wonder what happened this year to my garlic. I order from Filaree Garlic Farm in Washington. Did the usual -- two hardnecks,to softnecks. Mulched. Same as the last three-four years. And I have never water them in the past. Planted in different spot. I was just thinking that since we didn't get much snow.. . I swear they started coming up through the mulch, but then disappeared. The box is lined with double crossed chicken wire. There are no signs of holes, or of them being pulled out -- or in. Weird. But who's to say, as we took down the deer netting this winter, as it was trashed. Didn't put up new netting, until planting.

Post Posted: May 14, 2018 9:06 am 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
Deer love my perennial onions and chives and eat them to the ground, maybe they like garlic also. Mine is inside a temporarily fenced area that the deer cannot get into. Hopefully.

Post Posted: May 16, 2018 12:00 pm 
I have started a lot of seeds in the last week of April. I don't use heating pads and have found putting my planting boxes in front of our electric heaters does the job.

After many experiments and disappointments, I now always use seed a starting soil such as Jiffy Seed Starting Mix. Using garden soil, even sterilized in the oven, or a potting mix like Miracle Gro, are too heavy a soil and tend more to damping off problems. A light weight seed starting mix does not harden over so the tiny seeds can break through easily and allows me to transplant the small started plants as the roots don't cling to the mixture too much.

Here's my temporary greenhouse:

The internal frame is PVC pipe. The roof collapsed one spring (hence the duck tape covering holes in the cover ) so my engineer husband redid the design with thicker PVC pipe and roof supports that go to the ground. I've has no problems since.

Here's a closer view from the front:

It would be a lot better if the ground was level but this is the best spot for sun and not killing any grassy area. I make due with flat, leveling rocks.

I cut my geraniums back in March and they are coming back, branching nicely. They get enough light under the benches and will have many blooms by the time I put the on our deck in June.

Here's a closer view of the left bench:

That's squash in the front pots, I think I started them a bit early but think the pots are big enough to last till planting time.

The seedlings in the trays are still small but I planned on planting them out the second week of June so they have plenty of time to grow.

And a closer view of the right bench:

I use cheap plastic drinking cups as pots - putting a hole in the bottom of course. When I have bigger plants, I use the 8 - 10 ounce cups as pots. I also use cleaned yogurt and sour cream containers for bigger pots as you can see with the squash.

How do I keep track of what's in each planting box, you may wonder. As you can see, I have each row numbered and each box has a letter designator. I keep a page for each planting box the shows what seeds were planted, when they sprouted, and when I transplanted them. Here's a sample of my record keeping pages:

What I have planted in the greenhouse:

lettuces - edox, buttercrunch, romaine, bib, sangria, black seeded simpson
herbs - basil (Genovese, pesto, and sweet Thai), dill, cilantro, oregano, Russian tarragon, summer savory, winter savory, parsley, Mexican mint, sage
BpnBon and table ace winter squash, delicata, yellow straight neck squash and Baby Pam pumpkin
tomatoes - Supersonic, small plum cherry, and my father's cherry (these won't do much but I planted them because how could I have a garden without tomatoes?)
Calendula, sunflowers, and Love-Lies-Bleeding for the bed ends.
Also many annuals and perennials for my open rock gardens.

Post Posted: May 17, 2018 7:53 am 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Location: in a state of gratitude (well, I try to be anyway...)
Impressive number of starters there!
:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

I just didn't have the energy this year to start much in the house. I'm buying starter plants or direct seeding most things this year.

TillerBee wrote:
Deer love my perennial onions and chives and eat them to the ground

Same here but only early in the season. Once other food sources are available to them they leave my onions and chives alone (unless I allow them to flower).

Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6