It is currently Oct 17, 2018 5:26 am 

Click here for the Gardening In 2018 with hints, experiments,
results, and just plain what's happening in our gardens this year

Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 20  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Re: 2018 Gardening Plans, Progress, Successes, Questions
Post Posted: May 14, 2018 8:51 am 
Infrequent Pinecam poster
Infrequent Pinecam poster
Umm!! Thanks for the input!!!

I wonder what happened this year to my garlic. I order from Filaree Garlic Farm in Washington. Did the usual -- two hardnecks,to softnecks. Mulched. Same as the last three-four years. And I have never water them in the past. Planted in different spot. I was just thinking that since we didn't get much snow.. . I swear they started coming up through the mulch, but then disappeared. The box is lined with double crossed chicken wire. There are no signs of holes, or of them being pulled out -- or in. Weird. But who's to say, as we took down the deer netting this winter, as it was trashed. Didn't put up new netting, until planting.

Post Posted: May 14, 2018 9:06 am 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
Deer love my perennial onions and chives and eat them to the ground, maybe they like garlic also. Mine is inside a temporarily fenced area that the deer cannot get into. Hopefully.

Post Posted: May 16, 2018 12:00 pm 
I have started a lot of seeds in the last week of April. I don't use heating pads and have found putting my planting boxes in front of our electric heaters does the job.

After many experiments and disappointments, I now always use seed a starting soil such as Jiffy Seed Starting Mix. Using garden soil, even sterilized in the oven, or a potting mix like Miracle Gro, are too heavy a soil and tend more to damping off problems. A light weight seed starting mix does not harden over so the tiny seeds can break through easily and allows me to transplant the small started plants as the roots don't cling to the mixture too much.

Here's my temporary greenhouse:

The internal frame is PVC pipe. The roof collapsed one spring (hence the duck tape covering holes in the cover ) so my engineer husband redid the design with thicker PVC pipe and roof supports that go to the ground. I've has no problems since.

Here's a closer view from the front:

It would be a lot better if the ground was level but this is the best spot for sun and not killing any grassy area. I make due with flat, leveling rocks.

I cut my geraniums back in March and they are coming back, branching nicely. They get enough light under the benches and will have many blooms by the time I put the on our deck in June.

Here's a closer view of the left bench:

That's squash in the front pots, I think I started them a bit early but think the pots are big enough to last till planting time.

The seedlings in the trays are still small but I planned on planting them out the second week of June so they have plenty of time to grow.

And a closer view of the right bench:

I use cheap plastic drinking cups as pots - putting a hole in the bottom of course. When I have bigger plants, I use the 8 - 10 ounce cups as pots. I also use cleaned yogurt and sour cream containers for bigger pots as you can see with the squash.

How do I keep track of what's in each planting box, you may wonder. As you can see, I have each row numbered and each box has a letter designator. I keep a page for each planting box the shows what seeds were planted, when they sprouted, and when I transplanted them. Here's a sample of my record keeping pages:

What I have planted in the greenhouse:

lettuces - edox, buttercrunch, romaine, bib, sangria, black seeded simpson
herbs - basil (Genovese, pesto, and sweet Thai), dill, cilantro, oregano, Russian tarragon, summer savory, winter savory, parsley, Mexican mint, sage
BpnBon and table ace winter squash, delicata, yellow straight neck squash and Baby Pam pumpkin
tomatoes - Supersonic, small plum cherry, and my father's cherry (these won't do much but I planted them because how could I have a garden without tomatoes?)
Calendula, sunflowers, and Love-Lies-Bleeding for the bed ends.
Also many annuals and perennials for my open rock gardens.

Post Posted: May 17, 2018 7:53 am 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Location: in a state of gratitude (well, I try to be anyway...)
Impressive number of starters there!
:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

I just didn't have the energy this year to start much in the house. I'm buying starter plants or direct seeding most things this year.

TillerBee wrote:
Deer love my perennial onions and chives and eat them to the ground

Same here but only early in the season. Once other food sources are available to them they leave my onions and chives alone (unless I allow them to flower).

Post Posted: Jun 25, 2018 6:30 am 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
:cold: Brrrrrr!!! I was not expecting a frost this morning. :thud:
Anyone else have frost?

I wish I had known and I would have covered some beds. I only covered the tomatoes, but I do that every night anyway. Nothing seems to have frost burns, but a tarp or agribon would have been a good idea last night, had I known there was a chance of frost.

So how is everyone's garden doing this year so far?

My outside beds seems to be growing very slowly. Partially due to these very chilly nights and partially due to replanting after the ground squirrels find a way into my beds. But everything in the greenhouse looks great!

I gotta say the MRC Food Pantry plot at the Conifer community garden looks fantastic!! :applause:
That 800ft elevation differential sure makes a huge difference in growth.
(Conifer = 8200+, me = 9000+)

I seeded much of my beds the same weekend we did the first direct seeding at the MRC plot just so I could see the difference. Yep elevation makes a huge difference!

Post Posted: Jun 25, 2018 7:45 am 
It was 34°F at 5:45AM here in Shaffers Crossing. My heart skipped a beat. I haven't been down to my garden but I sure hope we didn't have a freeze or frost.

Like you CooknThyme, I never expected this cold a night and did nothing to cover or protect any of my outdoor plants. Usually after a rain, we have a warm night.

I noticed a white covering over some beds down at the Conifer community garden. Is this yours, CooknThyme? Is it for hail or shade or what? Curiosity killed the cat and all. 8)

If my garden survived, I'll take some pictures today. It WAS doing fine...

Post Posted: Jun 25, 2018 8:25 am 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
I would LOVE to see pictures of your garden TB. It is always very lovely!

Yes the large, long bed at the Conifer Community garden with the white covering is the MRC Food Pantry garden. Some call it the "Cathedral"! LOL! It's a really nice hail cloth and only filters ~10% of the light. We set it up high enough so we can easily walk under it to water, weed and harvest. All of the volunteers seem to like it. It really is like a sanctuary in there!

We are already harvesting radishes and leafy greens (various types of lettuce, spinach, arugula and mustard greens) for the food pantry!! Feels great to be getting food to them already. The May 12th seed planting was perfect timing.

I was so impressed with this hail cloth that I bought enough to put on top of all my garden beds. I had 3 waves of hail yesterday and one was really quite heavy. But not a single problem in the veggie garden!!

http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/prod ... -netting/s
This is the only place I have found this product. It is very easy to work with.

At the community garden we used PVC pipe and snap clamps. So we will be able to take it down at the end of the season. In my garden, I stapled it to the frames so it will stay up all year (time will tell how it does in the winter with heavy snow loading).

Post Posted: Jun 25, 2018 8:35 am 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
It only went down to 40F at my house, guess I lucked out. I did throw some covers over my tomatoes and peppers late yesterday when the cold front moved in. The forecast yesterday was predicting low of 45F, so much for predictions.

Post Posted: Jun 25, 2018 8:57 am 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
I saw 36F as a low last night, near Oehlmann and Indian Springs, but that was under a covered deck, did see frost in the valley, I have a heater in my little greenhouse. Ate my first tomato yesterday! Yummy, Thanks to SDBailey and Hermits Green house, starter were very big this year.

and those that wonder what happened

Post Posted: Jun 25, 2018 9:05 am 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Scout wrote:
Ate my first tomato yesterday! Yummy, Thanks to SDBailey and Hermits Green house, starter were very big this year.

What??!! That's fantastic, maters ripening in June up here!!!! WTG!

I have some of Steve's tomatoes in my greenhouse too. I have a fair number of green maters but nothing ripening. However, I removed my heater in late May. But even with the frost last night, my greenhouse didn't drop below 60.

Post Posted: Jun 25, 2018 11:08 am 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Okay let's share some pictures folks.

Here are some of my garden beds with their new hail cloth hats!

The first enclosure I call the orchard, because it has two apples trees (grown espalier) and some raspberries.

The apples have survived 2 winters so far. Not much growth on them this year so far. Perhaps because our nights have been so cool.

Here is my broccoli bed

Some are forming heads!

A peek into the greenhouse. You can see maters and cukes (on the lower right).

I can grow zucchini outdoors, but not my favorite patty pan or delicata. So this year they get greenhouse space. Both are bush type varieties.

I also have 5 varieties of peppers and an eggplant (foreground).
They are not as bushy as normal for this time of year, but they are making peppers.

Post Posted: Jun 25, 2018 11:55 am 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
Looks great CookNThyme! Gotta love that hail cloth. Wow, your broccoli is already producing! I will need to look closer at mine to see if it is starting to do anything yet.

Neither my spinach nor scallions germinated well this year, had to replant so they are way behind. Weeds are doing great this year, struggling to get them under control now that I am back in town.

I mentioned to you I was trying a new red romaine from territorial seed, here is a photo. Nice bold color which looks great in a salad.
http://www.territorialseed.com/product/ ... ttuce-Seed

Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 20  Next