results, and just plain what's happening in our gardens this year

prior years topics: 2018 2017 2016 2015

Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Re: 2019 Gardening
Post Posted: Jan 31, 2019 2:51 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Location: in a state of gratitude (well, I try to be anyway...)
:yeah that:
Well said
We will miss you
Happy trails...

Post Posted: Feb 1, 2019 9:52 am 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
We will miss you. My garden will never be the same but life moves on and things change. Best of Luck in where ever your new roots are planted

Post Posted: Feb 9, 2019 7:30 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
We will miss you around here Mr. Hermit. Wish you the best going forward.

Regarding seed starting. I have my first draft of my planting map and seeds are ready. I will get my leeks and onion seeds planted tomorrow, along with sage and rosemary.

Tomatoes will be next, will be planting Stupice, and sweet 100s. New this year, I will try Pink Berkeley and Golden Treasure. The goldens are a storage tomato, never tried them before. Supposedly they will store for 2-3 months.

For the rest of the garden I will be planting my usual wide assortment to support my cooking habit. Only other new item will be Sorrel.

Somebody asked about eggplant. I have never had luck with it, gave up years ago. May work if you have a greenhouse or the proper micro-climate. They like acidic soil and soil temperatures above 80F which is hard to get outdoors around here.

Post Posted: Feb 10, 2019 9:17 pm 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
All the best to you, Mr. Hermit!

Post Posted: Feb 21, 2019 7:24 am 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Drat, my tomato & pepper seedlings keep dying.

I use a heating mat so they germinate okay. But then they die. :thud:
Perhaps my house is just too cold for them. My highly alkaline water probably doesn't help either.
Cool weather seedlings seem to do just fine.

What type of seed starting medium do you prefer to use???

Post Posted: Feb 21, 2019 7:36 am 
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
I had this happen two years ago. A friend suggested backing off on the heat mat once the seedlings germinated. That solved it! Good luck!

Broccoli seedlings are up, and trying to stave off aphids from nice healthy pepper plants I started in November. Happy gardening!

Post Posted: Feb 21, 2019 9:17 am 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
I used to use a soiless germinating mix that came in huge bags but I can't find the brand I used any more. And the little bags of todays seed germinating mixes are really expensive. I tried coir (shredded coconut fiber) and that was a disaster. Kept the seedlings too wet and had NO nutrients at all.

So the last few years, I've just been using plain old potting mix with good results. No more damping off than the expensive seed germinating mix.

I agree with mummydog, try after the initial germination, immediately stop the heating pad use and put the seedlings in a sunny but cooler window.

Post Posted: Feb 21, 2019 9:26 am 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
I have been taking the seedlings off the heat pad after germination as it is pretty hot (IMO). But I think my house is too cold (high 40s -low 50s) at night. I have another set-up in mind for the next batch of seeds.

Every year it's different. Kinda frustrating.

I'm using peat moss mixed with perlite to start seeds. Germination seems to be quite good.
I normally don't like to transplant to soil until they have their first true leaves. Now if I can just get them to live that long. **sigh**

Post Posted: Feb 21, 2019 11:33 am 
Infrequent Pinecam poster
Infrequent Pinecam poster
We just use Fox Farm soil with fertilizer -- bat guano, fish emulsion, worm casings etc. Organic. There's few different brands of Fox Farm that we use -- one has a frog on it. The one we usually use is Ocean Forest. We get it at Grow Generation. We have never used any type of straight germination median, just whatever is in the soil. There is perlite and I am guessing some peat moss. The last bag is almost gone, and I had to cut the bag down to get to the soil, so the "ingredients" list, is gone.

We also use "Poo" Pots, i .e. Cow pots to start the seeds in. We also use the above soils for all of our planting. Bought some "regular" soil, last year from Ace, and my flowers died in it -- it was mostly wood chips. Never again. The above soil is definitely pricey, but so are the flowers and such and to have them die . . .

We have the pots of seeds on trays with covers, on a shelf with grow lights. No pads. Lights are on for 16 hours. The seeds are in a room down stairs, that may get to 60, if it's lucky.

The cabbage, cauliflower and broccoli, all came up in less than a week. The tomatoes were two weeks, with one type, still not up. Our tomatoes always take longer to come up.

Our 7 year old great-nephew and 5 year great-niece, planted the seeds this year -- and we planted more than usual in each pot, because they were planting the seeds so deep, we figured the seeds, if they even came up, would come out the bottom! Not so, they are all up and healthy, with the exception of the "Black Cherry" tomatoes.

We will have extras for ya CooknThyme, if yours don't success!

Post Posted: Feb 21, 2019 12:09 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Thanks kmsunday you are so generous. I deeply appreciate your offer as my focus right now is my beloved dog, fighting his cancer and giving him quality life experiences during this end of life period. Starting seeds is getting a back seat but I'm still gonna try again.

I agree the ace potting soil last year was just awful crappy stuff. So disappointing because the year before it was really quite good. I used lots of the crappy stuff last year in certain beds and they are all going to get dug out and the soil replace. Huge effort and expense which I am dreading. Using the Ace soil = costly mistake.

I've been thinking of going back to using my old mix for starting seeds this next time (roughly 2 parts peat moss, 1 part perlite, 1 part compost). I use to always do it that way, but did have issues with fungus and such. Eliminating the compost and just mixing my own peat & perlite has been the most cost effective and generally no fungus or molds.

Fox Farms is typically out of my reach price wise, but it's good stuff. But maybe I should consider just one bag to get the seeds going. I've not used the Ocean mix before. Maybe I'll give it a try. Thanks for the suggestion.

Post Posted: Feb 21, 2019 2:50 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Bummer CooknThyme. I have been using Ferti-lome Seed and Cutting mix for few years now and have had wonderful luck with it. I use a heating mat at night but turn it off during the day. Night time temperatures in my house is 60, daytime is 68+. I also keep a clear dome over the planting tray so I don't need to water it, keeps everything moist but never wet. My tomatoes have germinated but I still put them on the mat at night since I have a few other pots in the tray which have not yet germinated.

Seedling mats only raise the temperature 10-20 degrees, so perhaps they are getting too cold at night. Covering with a towel at night may help. A dome might help too. If you don't have any, I have extras if you want to try one. I can bring it over Friday.

Post Posted: Feb 21, 2019 5:31 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Thanks Conifer4. I have domes and have been using them. They are great! I can't imagine starting seeds without them.

I'm not exactly sure why I'm having troubles this year.

I was trying to putting a towel over them at night. But it wasn't every night. I might go a couple of day ignoring them completely. So I think perhaps I was just not giving them enough attention, too much water perhaps, not enough air exchange, too hot, too cold, wrong growing medium, etc. My peat moss is fairly old so maybe it's broken down too much. I just don't know.

Normally when I start seeds I check on them 2 - 4 times a day. But not this time.

I need to drive down to Denver next week so I'll stop at Jared's and see what they have for starting seeds, Ferti-lome or Fox Farms or something

Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next