results, and just plain what's happening in our gardens this year

prior years topics: 2018 2017 2016 2015

Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Gardening in 2016
Post Posted: May 12, 2016 6:03 am 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Hey there fellow gardeners! I've loved having a thread each year for general discussions about our gardens and to POST PHOTOS (my favorite part) of our progress. I was hoping someone else would start the thread (because I can't remember how to make a sticky) but here we go anyway.

I'm personally getting a bit of a late start on some things, but I have a feeling this is going to be an awesome year for all of us! We will all learn a lot, I'm sure. So lets share our ideas, knowledge and experience.

Is anyone planning to grow something new for the first time this year?

For me, I am planting some apple trees! Yes at 9000 feet! I have 2 varieties so far Liberty and Sweet Sixteen. Both are on dwarf root stock rated for zone 3. So I am optimistic. I want to add a 3rd variety but haven't decided which yet.

I will grow them as espaliers. That way every part of them will be easy to reach, and more importantly, easy to cover when a late frost is expected. Here's a pic of espalier apple trees from the internet:

I'm starting off with 1 year trees. So I have a long time to go before I get apples (~3-5 years).

I also got a fig tree cutting! It's only about 3 inches tall, so cute! :lol:
So I think I have to wait for that one too! But maybe only 1-2 years.

The fig will live in the greenhouse. This will protect it from summer hail and winter hard freezes. It will stay in a pot and be kept pruned to maintain a manageable size.

As for veggies, nothing new is planned for me (except for some new varieties of old favorites). I am determined to get ears of corn this year! Which was a failure for the past 2 years, but successful the year before (or was it the year before that?).

Happy and Successful gardening to us all this year!! :picking on me: :duck: :animated laughing:

Post subject: Re: Gardening in 2016
Post Posted: May 12, 2016 6:35 am 
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
What? Apple trees, you've gone mad woman!!

I tried a dwarf cold hardy peach tree once it was a no go.

I have lime, lemon and mandarin orange trees( more like bushes) in the house.
Tryin Thai basil for first time. I love it in curry dishes with coconut milk!!!!!
And trying many new cold hardy varities of maters can't wait to see what they do. My canned tomato supplies are dwindling down fast from last years harvest.

I had really good luck with an early variety of corn . I can give you some seeds if you want them. I hand pollinated them in the greenhouse with a q tip and produced very well for me!

Woooooo hooo I waz waiting for someone to start up this thread as want to know what ya'll are trying this year.

Post Posted: May 12, 2016 7:00 am 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Yes I have gone mad! Totally! I thought you knew that about me already! :animated laughing:

I know the apples are a big risk. I know they can handle the cold just fine. But the lower oxygen is the concern. I have a nice sunny spot for them, so fingers crossed. I figure nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I have an indoor lemon tree too. I've had it about 5 years now. I got my best crop ever this winter (25-30)! It took me awhile to learn what it likes, but it is doing great now. It vacations on the deck a few months each summer. I love it!

Thanks for the offer Hermit, but I have some early dwarf corn seeds: Little Giant Sweet Corn from Bountiful Gardens (short stalks with full size ears... or so they say). I always grow corn outside, as the yield to garden space ratio for corn is much too low for me to give corn any precious greenhouse space!

I grew Thai basil the first year of my greenhouse. It grew great! But I didn't care for the taste much.

BTW, the peppers I got from you a couple of weeks ago are taking off! Those Biggie Chilies always do well for me. Thanks!

Post Posted: May 12, 2016 7:05 am 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Thanks for the sticky Tillerbee!

Post Posted: May 12, 2016 7:20 am 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
No problem, this is always such a popular topic each year, thanks for starting it CooknThyme.

I was really, really discouraged with last years garden. It should have been a great one but I had so many critters eating stuff, I hardly got anything out of it. Towards the end of the year, I finally got some pocket gopher traps and that ended that. But with no foxes around because of the mange, I had tons of golden mantle squirrels, chipmunks, rabbits, you name it, eating my rock gardens and veggi garden.

However, baileyhermit supplied me some tomatoes, peppers, and a basil plant a few weeks ago. And tada just like that I got my gardening zeal back. In the next few weeks, I'll be planting potatoes, Oregon Giant snow peas, spinach and some kale for a special friend of mine who's into kale smoothies.

And I got some herbs started. My order from Johnny's should be here this week. I'm planting corn again and green/wax beans, and lettuce, of course, summer and winter squash. Nothing really new this year as I'm so late starting.

The tomatoes from baileyhermit are blooming and looking good in my windows. I can't wait to taste my first tomato.

My husband is looking forward to my veggie garden starting because then he can move around the house again without brushing past plants and more plants.

Post Posted: May 12, 2016 7:28 am 
CooknThyme wrote:
For me, I am planting some apple trees! Yes at 9000 feet! I have 2 varieties so far Liberty and Sweet Sixteen. Both are on dwarf root stock rated for zone 3. So I am optimistic. I want to add a 3rd variety but haven't decided which yet.

I will grow them as espaliers. That way every part of them will be easy to reach, and more importantly, easy to cover when a late frost is expected. Here's a pic of espalier apple trees from the internet:

I have thought a about apple trees and other fruit trees but haven't have the gumption to try them - yet. I'l be interested to see how your tree do, CooknThyme.

I saw some very old apple trees at a house in old Burland that were growing in a nook-like part of the house. The lady who had them said she get apples every year but didn't know the variety, they were so old. She also had two huge apricot trees, fenced in from the elk she said. They were awesome.

baileyhermit wrote:
I have lime, lemon and mandarin orange trees( more like bushes) in the house.

Hmm, maybe I should try this. I'm sure my husband would just love trees in the house over the winter. hehehe....

Do the blooms smell super sweet, baileyhermit? We were traveling in California when the orange trees were in bloom and I could have stayed there for weeks, the sweet aroma of the blooms was so wonderful,

Post Posted: May 12, 2016 8:43 am 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Apple trees! That is a challenge, but you all have such green thumbs and have the knowledge. They will probably do great. I have been here for 10 years, from 7,000 ft where I was able to grow anything. I put in a crab apple because I knew they were hardy. It is only a little above 6' tall, blooms, no apples, but still alive. At 7,000 the same apple was in the window of the second story by that time, was wide and had fruit. Sigh. This one looks like a small, sad bush.

Post Posted: May 12, 2016 9:25 am 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
TillerBee wrote:

I saw some very old apple trees at a house in old Burland that were growing in a nook-like part of the house. The lady who had them said she get apples every year but didn't know the variety, they were so old. She also had two huge apricot trees, fenced in from the elk she said. They were awesome.

That's very encouraging! Thanks!

Post Posted: May 12, 2016 10:08 am 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
When I lived back east some of the old gardeners with fig trees would dig a trench and root prune the tree on one side. Then in the fall they would lay the tree in the hole and bury it, mulch it. In the spring the would stand it up and the tree would have survived.

Post Posted: May 12, 2016 11:50 am 
Thanks imatraveler, I had never heard of that technique.

The problem with growing fruit trees up here is not necessarily the zone 3 or lower temperatures but the late frosts after warm periods in the spring. Although it's not going below freezing the next few days, we will have several hard freezes prior to mid June. These hard frosts would just kill the buds, whether in flower or setting the fruit.

Post Posted: May 12, 2016 1:19 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
We planted two, one year old apple trees two years ago. The first year they did great!; This winter the deer had a field day with them so we're not sure they survived. We're at 8300 feet

Post Posted: May 15, 2016 7:14 am 
I thought about trying a small dwarf peach tree in my greenhouse. But those giant dinner plate dahlias take up all my room in my raised bed. And all the mater and pepper plants are too crowded already ( imagine that).

The lemon and lime trees definitely more happy in greenhouse. So in winter I bring them into the house & try to mist them everyday day.

Last year I got about20 lemons from the tree. And about 7 mandarin oranges. The lime tree is new and tiny but have about 20 little teeny tiny limes starting.
One thing that I love, is the fragrance of the flowers on them. Very strong on the lemon and orange tree, just wonderful!!

Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next