It is currently Apr 5, 2020 7:52 pm 

Click here for the 2020 Gardening topic with hints, experiments,
results, and just plain what's happening in our gardens this year

prior years topics: 2019 2018 2017 2016 2015

Reply to topic  [ 237 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 20  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Re: 2018 Gardening Plans, Progress, Successes, Questions
Post Posted: Aug 28, 2018 9:47 am 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
I hope so. My garden is waning down and the plants starting to look a bit sad. But the green and wax beans are coming in nicely and I'm canning them.

How's the food bank garden doing?

Post Posted: Aug 28, 2018 9:53 am 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Congrats TillerBee! We need a pocket gopher catcher at McGraw Park. If you (or anyone else) becomes a gun-for-hire, we are interested.
Jim
303-699-8056

Post Posted: Aug 28, 2018 10:46 am 
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
Looks so good. My tomatoes are finally looking better. Will bring them inside soon.

Post Posted: Aug 28, 2018 1:09 pm 
Kind of a crazy gardening year for me. I thought I was going to move back East and so did not start much indoors, except for the peppers, which are producing furiously. Did not end up moving, so I got the beans, squash, carrots, broccoli, cabbage, cukes and tomatoes in. Everything will need to come in soon.

Post Posted: Aug 28, 2018 1:56 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
jimglenncolorado wrote:
Congrats TillerBee! We need a pocket gopher catcher at McGraw Park. If you (or anyone else) becomes a gun-for-hire, we are interested.
Jim
303-699-8056

I use the Victor Black Box Gopher Trap. Easy to set-up, easy to use. Works great!

Post Posted: Aug 28, 2018 2:00 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Mummydog- Getting a late start is really rough. We have such a short season as it is. I hope everything matures quickly for you.

Post Posted: Aug 28, 2018 2:20 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
TillerBee wrote:
How's the food bank garden doing?

Very successful and still going strong!! We had just a few disappointments, but by far most of what we planted produced better than expected! Hoping the green beans will come in before the first frost. I would love to get some fresh green beans to the pantry clientele this season.

We have a great group of volunteers who have been doing a fabulous job of tending the garden and getting fresh produce to the MRC food pantry each day that it is open. And the clientele are taking everything we bring them. Many are new to things like kale, arugula, mustard greens, etc. but they are willing to try them and then want more!!

I am noticing produce being brought in from various home gardeners too. How cool is that! What a wonderful community of gardeners we have up here. :dancing:

Post Posted: Aug 30, 2018 10:04 am 
Thanks for the update, CooknThyme.

Here's my squash plants - they grew bigger than I expected but, until now, did not have many female blooms and the squash that did form, turned yellowish and didn't grow. It seemed to me that I didn't have any bees this year and I'm thinking the female flowers weren't being fertilized.

And here's a view of some bombom squash finally forming:

There's at least 6 or 7 of these with delicata and acorn squash also forming. I don't know why they started growing better but I'm glad and hope the squash are mature enough before the first frost hits.

The following are not small cherry tomatoes but potato fruits:

From Michigan State University Extension
Quote:
Potato flowers and fruit are produced because this is how the plants multiply themselves, by seed. Potato flowers look very much like tomato flowers except instead of being yellow, the potato flowers can be white or lavender or pink. It depends on the type of potato as to the flower color. Most years, July and the beginning of August are hot and sometimes dry months. Those cute little flowers fall off the plants and never have the opportunity to go from flower to fruit. The cool weather with adequate rain allowed the flowers to remain, pollinate and grow into small potato fruit. These look suspiciously like small, round or oblong cherry tomatoes.

These potato fruit are not edible. More precisely, they are poisonous. They contain high amounts of solanine that can make the eater very ill.

I don't get these every year and they are mostly on my Yukon Gold potato plants.

Post Posted: Aug 30, 2018 11:54 am 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Wow! I have read about "potato fruit" but none of my plants had ever formed them. But I don't grow potatoes very often. Since I have been up here mine rarely even start to form flowers.

That's a lot of squash plants TB!!! They look super healthy. Too bad you are not getting the amount of fruit you had hoped for.

I'm so grateful that my zucchini are going gangbusters this year (both the green and the yellow)! But minimal luck this year with the delicata, crookneck and patty pan.

At my elevation, I rarely have enough pollinators to allow my flowering plants to go "au natural". And the bigger pollinators like butterflies don't fit through the screens. So if I didn't hand pollinate tomatoes, squash, cucumbers, peppers, corn, tomatillos, etc. I would have a terrible yield or nothing at all. The only thing that doesn't seem to need my help are snow peas.

I hope you get an awesome yield before the first frost. Which may be as soon as next week for me. I've had temps dips into the 30s twice this past week.

Post Posted: Aug 30, 2018 2:39 pm 
Oh I hope no frost for any of us for 3 or 4 weeks. We've gone down to 40°F and my tomatoes are curling their leaves with unhappiness.

My squash plants are so vigorous that when I walk the path between them, it almost seems like they want to grab my legs and attach so they can crawl up them. I never realized before the "holdy" string things are sticky so they attach before they can curl around a fence or post. I have been using short bamboo poles to keep the vines somewhat in place.

The delicata squash were "semi-bush" type - well the bush part never showed and the plants keep wanting to climb on the electric fence. This would not be a good thing.

Post Posted: Aug 30, 2018 4:52 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
My first frost is typically the first week of September. But then usually get a week or two more of decent weather. The tender plants often expire in early September even when I cover them. But as you know, things like kale, broccoli, cabbage, arugula, etc. love some frost and the flavor improves.

This year the weather has not been typical at all. So who knows what might happen.

My delicata squash is a bush type too. I have it in the greenhouse bed. Very well managed vines, which is surprising given how long the non-bush type can grow. But mine is not making much fruit. Only 2 are maturing.

Some plants really detest and resist growing this close to the timber line. :thud:
I think it is miraculous that I can grow anything at all up here. :hugegrin:

I hope you get plenty more frost free nights and lots of squash!

Post Posted: Sep 6, 2018 5:03 pm 
This afternoon's pickings:

wax and pole beans mixed, green beans, yellow squash, herbs and spinach for tonight's salad, my first two cherry tomatoes, and my only cucumber.

The beans are half of what I picked two days ago. They are more prolific this year than any garden I've had up here.

I just realized I forgot to get a couple of carrots for our salad - and it's raining now. This is also the best year I've had for carrots.

How's your harvest doing this year?

Reply to topic  [ 237 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 20  Next