It is currently Jul 20, 2019 10:07 am 

Click here for the 2019 Gardening topic with hints, experiments,
results, and just plain what's happening in our gardens this year

prior years topics: 2018 2017 2016 2015

Reply to topic  [ 237 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Re: 2018 Gardening Plans, Progress, Successes, Questions
Post Posted: Sep 10, 2018 2:53 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
Cookn Thyme... Thanks for all the info.
Where is the Rocky Mtn soil company??

Post Posted: Sep 10, 2018 3:35 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
They are in Alamosa, I think. You can get a few of their products from Moore Lumber, Walmart, and various nurseries around Denver.

Post Posted: Sep 11, 2018 3:29 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Finally got the pictures off my phone. this was Friday's picking. the huge beans are Scarlet Runner beans

Post Posted: Sep 11, 2018 3:43 pm 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
Nice harvest, Starryskies. You sure got plenty of green beans and pea pods. What are you doing with all your produce this year?

Post Posted: Sep 11, 2018 4:07 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Mostly freezing as my pressure canner weight has gone AWOL. I pickled some of the beans and shred the squash we don't eat. there are 8 squash under the peas. I also have/had cauliflower and banana peppers. Those peppers are super prolific. I am pickling them as well.

Post Posted: Sep 11, 2018 4:20 pm 
Of all the years not to, I didn't plant any peppers. You all are having such a grand harvest of all kinds of peppers, I am jealous. Next year...

Post Posted: Sep 11, 2018 6:18 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
What wonderful harvest photos!
Starryskies, very nice harvest!!!

My peppers were such a disappointment this year. I planted them in crappy soil.
My outdoor tomatoes were a disappointment too. Same problem.
My bad :picking on me:

But I have 2 tomato plants in the greenhouse that are doing well and providing many more maters than I can possibly use (my freezer is already full!). The Early Girl struggled early on but finally took off and still producing.

The tomato plant below needs to be renamed the energizer bunny! It keeps going and going and going! :lol:

I have already harvested at least 2-3x what is still on the vine.
It is a Sweet Million I got from Mr Hermit.

I use to be a big fan of Sweet 100. The Sweet Million is almost as prolific, but not quite as sweet. However it has a MUCH better growth habit so I will be growing it again. I plan to take clones of this one.

Post Posted: Sep 16, 2018 12:30 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Most of my garden is loving this heat wave!
How about yours??? Inquiring minds want to know.

I may actually get a few mature tomatillos after all. The tomatoes are getting another wave of energy! The peppers would have loved this weather had I not already pulled them out to make way for my winter garden.

And then there's the corn!
I grow corn most years but it's pretty rare that I get anything to eat. Sometimes no ears at all. But usually pathetic little ears only suitable as chicken toys. But that's okay, it's just fun to grow it.

However, during the hot years my efforts are rewarded with something edible. A couple of weeks ago I harvested the first wave of corn. Two ears out of that batch were barely okay, the rest went to the chickens.

But this recent heat wave has matured the second ears down the stalk. I just ate one and these are pretty darn good considering they were grown at 9000ft and were hit by frost ~10 days ago!

I sure hope you peeps don't mind that I post in this forum so much. You see, I don't have anyone here at the house that can appreciate what a huge miracle it is that food can be grown this close to the timberline! But I know that you peeps get it! ;)

Post Posted: Sep 16, 2018 1:12 pm 
We do...

Nice corn! Oh how I wish I had planted corn this year.

I bet the ear tasted super sweet, having been just picked.

My garden is still going strong. I just dug a few potatoes for potato salad (duh...); the sugars in potatoes haven't turn to starch and they taste sooo good.

The peas have put on new growth and are putting out pods again. And while the green/wax bean have slowed down some, they're still producing enough for a meal.

The squash are going crazy, setting fruit like mad. I've taken some off the vines so the ones already there have a better chance of ripening.

And I took your advice on my tomatoes and trimmed them back and removed all the blooms. The tomatoes, that had already formed, are nice and big and getting very yellow.

I haven't started drying my herbs and gotta get on that very soon. I have several basil plants for pesto making. And plenty of parsley, oregano, and summer savory as well as sage. My dill and Russian tarragon both were eaten by the pocket gophers.

How is everyone else doing at this time of year?

What an unusual year, so warm for September but so dry.

Post Posted: Sep 16, 2018 2:47 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
TillerBee wrote:
We do...

Nice corn! Oh how I wish I had planted corn this year.
I bet the ear tasted super sweet, having been just picked.

Thanks! Yes it had good flavor, eaten within 15 minutes of being picked! Certainly not meaty Olathe sweet corn or the types of corn I use to grow in CA. But all things considered, I'm really happy I grew corn this year and grateful that they produced some yummy ears!

I wish I had grown cauliflower this year. After the ground squirrels ate mine I gave up. But then when I saw pictures of the cauliflower that snowman grew and posted here back in early July, I kicked myself for not starting seeds for a fall crop of cauliflower. Oh well.

You are right TB, it's time to amp up harvesting the herbs! I expect lots of pesto and herb butter in the near future!! ;)

Post Posted: Sep 17, 2018 6:05 pm 
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
This turned out to be a pretty good year in spite of a late start. Beans (green: Serengeti and Tavera) and wax (Soleil) have yielded 4 quarts in the freezer so far and still enough for meals. The zukes (Raven, Zephyr which is a cool yellow with green blossom end) and scallop) have a second growth spurt and I may get my first winter squash (BonBon) ! Broccoli, cabbage and carrots are producing well and I have a fall planting of spinach coming along, and snap peas too. I used CooknThyme’s method on my tomatoes and they are ripening on the plant. Peppers went crazy. I have enough hot cherry peppers to pickle 2 pints!! And ElkCreekGeek I still have the bird Chile plant for you. Let me know where and when I can get it to you. I planted cukes really late but may get enough for cornichons.

The only disappointment was the potatoes...TillerBee, did yours do well? I got a few and they were good sized, but not like last year. Now got to harvest some horseradish.

Happy gardening all!

Post Posted: Sep 17, 2018 7:26 pm 
Scanner Monitor
Scanner Monitor
==============================================

Just an update… what a banner year for gardens at 8,500 feet, eh? I’m so pleased to see how this forum has taken off over the past few years and how many folks are into gardening.

I haven’t posted much this year as the rest of you seem to be able to answer all the great questions now and share your knowledge. But from what I can tell I think our large garden is getting totally weary of this constant growing and production.

We are swimming in beans, peas, leafy crops (you name it, we have it in abundance) and I’m almost afraid to mention squashes, pumpkins and zucchinis. Think we’ll have to take the tractor and loader to get them out. The freezer is about full to the top and our neighbors lock the gates when they see us coming with a bag of veggies. We haven’t really harvested the below ground crops like potatoes, carrots, turnips, beets etc. but if the couple of items we have picked are any indication…. whew!!

Along with the rest of you, water and excessive heat have been the biggest problem (September 17th with 75º, are you kidding me?). We’ve drained our 2,500 gal. of stored rain water and no rain in sight so we are now well watering the important items.

And it has been so wonderful to see all the late blooming flowers, the sweet peas are especially pretty right now.

So, kudos to all of you for the fantastic love of fresh, organic food and flowers, nothing beats this!
======================================================================

Reply to topic  [ 237 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next