results, and just plain what's happening in our gardens this year

prior years topics: 2018 2017 2016 2015

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Flowers and shrubs
Post Posted: Mar 24, 2019 9:06 am 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
We would like to try flowers and/or perennials this year for the first time. We are at roughly 7300 feet and have plenty of deer in the area. The areas we are considering planting in are very rocky so we plan to amend the soil. Any thoughts or suggestions for varieties that will work without losing them to the deer? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Flowers and shrubs
Post Posted: Mar 24, 2019 9:19 am 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
You are at the perfect altitude for just about anything. There are a couple flowers that have worked for me: lamium and snow in summer. They are perfect for in between rocks and the deer have never touched them.

Post Posted: Mar 24, 2019 9:22 am 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
for wild flower seeds look on line at Applewood Seeds, they are in Lakewood. Great seeds with no filler. Plus if you phone them they are a lot of help.

Post Posted: Mar 24, 2019 10:11 am 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
with deer, expect it all to be eaten. The first year up here (we moved here in the fall of 2003) I planted bulbs out back. daffodils. Deer thought they were lollipops.
I have found deer to be like people in that they all like or dislike different foods. The only "deer resistant" plants I have found at our place are sage (which is beautiful) & blue fescue grass & daylilies.

We have an electric fence fortification around most of my flower beds. Last year, we put up a fence around the back so that I could expand beds and add cherry, maple, and dogwoods along with rhododendron scrubs. We've been up here for 16 years and this has been the only way I have found to keep the deer from munching it all down. and this winter, we still have one mom and her two little ones that come in anyway :( We will have to look at the holes in our "security net" this summer :)

you can see the fence around this bed. The main reason for this one is to keep the bear off the choke cherry tree. :)

oh yeah and HAIL. Hail can wipe it all out in 15 minutes. I have lots of flower beds, but it is not for the faint of heart.

If you have a pet you wish to add to the Rainbow Bridge Site, please either post in the Pet Forum Rainbow Bridge Page viewtopic.php?f=85&t=78851 or PM me with pet names you would like them added. If you have others already there, please give me their names so I can add your pet with them.

Post Posted: Mar 24, 2019 11:08 am 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
You have all been awesome. I will contact Applewood since I work very close to that area and can slip by during the day. Keep the ideas coming!!

Post Posted: Mar 24, 2019 11:20 am 
The only plants that I have found the deer don't eat are various thymes. Every other plant I put in is treated as a salad bar for the deer.

But there's hope, you can spray your plants with an "egg based" deer spray. While we humans cannot smell the rotten eggs, the deer can and will stay away from the plants.

You can buy the deer repellent spray. I make my own so don't know what brand(s) work best.

Post Posted: Mar 24, 2019 6:31 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Yep, every deer likes and dislikes different things. But when they are hungry they'll eat almost everything.

I have deer come through my property at least twice a day every day. Sometimes they hang out here for many hours and sometimes sleep here.

I have lots of native grasses on my property, so most years they will leave alone the following:
mint
sage
tarragon
thyme
oregano
yarrow
bachelor buttons
allysum
bleeding hearts
sedum (until they flower and then the deer eat the flowers)
alpine aster
puccoon
flax
catmint
penstemon
wild geranium
pansy/johnny jump up

During the rainy years the grasses thrive, then sometimes I'll have plenty of blooms on the following as well:
columbine
iris
day lilies
snap dragon
marigold (the stinky type)
dianthus
lupine
daisies
coneflowers
blanket flowers

I'm sure there are more but they are just not coming to mind.

As for flowering shrubs, there is a great one that is native with small yellow flower but its name has escaped me (the deer never nibble on mine). Also deer usually don't like lilac much.

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ]