It is currently Jan 24, 2020 4:36 am 

Click here for the 2019 Gardening topic with hints, experiments,
results, and just plain what's happening in our gardens this year

prior years topics: 2018 2017 2016 2015

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: How Can I Rid My Vegetable Garden of Aspen Shoots?
Post Posted: Jun 28, 2019 3:31 pm 
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
Hi All!

How do you prevent Aspen Trees from sending runners into the vegetable garden????

I am having an invasion problem in my garden that is worse than weeds. My beloved Aspen Grove is sending out shoots and they are finding their way into a garden space that has been carefully designed and worked over the past decade.

Starting last year, I noticed a little Aspen tree coming up through my beautiful, rich, garden soil. I pulled it out, but it's roots are connected to my Aspen Grove that is about 50 feet away from the garden. There is no way to get rid of this pest without tearing up everything leading to the main grove.

This year, I have had to dig out at least 6 aspens starting to set up home in my vegetable garden, and every time I get rid of one shoot, it seems like two or three more grow in its place. I don't want to use an herbicide like RoundUp, for all the usual reasons, but also because these little aspen shoots are part of the same Aspen Grove that I don't want to kill. I'm afraid that an herbicide will travel through the Aspen root system and kill the whole grove.

What to Do? What to Do? It seems as if the whole underpinning of my garden is filling with aspen runners. Does anyone here know how to keep my Aspens from setting up a homestead where they are not welcome?

"The Framers of the Constitution knew that free speech is the friend of change and revolution. But they also knew that it is always the deadliest enemy of tyranny. "
~Hugo Black~

Post subject: Re: How Can I Rid My Vegetable Garden of Aspen Shoots?
Post Posted: Jun 28, 2019 4:11 pm 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
The short answer is no, you cannot rid your garden of aspen shoots.

It is said that aspens are the single largest living thing in the world. They spread by large roots underground. The shoots you are getting are coming for the water. All you can do is cut them back. They are ALL interconnected.

If you have a pet you wish to add to the Rainbow Bridge Site, please either post in the Pet Forum Rainbow Bridge Page viewtopic.php?f=85&t=78851 or PM me with pet names you would like them added. If you have others already there, please give me their names so I can add your pet with them.

Post Posted: Jun 28, 2019 5:17 pm 
Wily Fox aka Angela wrote:
The short answer is no, you cannot rid your garden of aspen shoots.

It is said that aspens are the single largest living thing in the world. They spread by large roots underground. The shoots you are getting are coming for the water. All you can do is cut them back. They are ALL interconnected.

Thanks!

"The Framers of the Constitution knew that free speech is the friend of change and revolution. But they also knew that it is always the deadliest enemy of tyranny. "
~Hugo Black~

Post Posted: Jun 28, 2019 6:55 pm 
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Prolific Pinecam Poster
This is why they're called aspen weeds! you just have to keep pulling them.

Wily, I think some fungi on the other side of the earth from us, took the honor of the largest single living organism, a few years back. But until then, it was considered to be, that aspen grove between Independence pass and Aspen.

Post Posted: Jun 28, 2019 8:17 pm 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
The fungi is the largest living biomass.
The Aspen grove is the largest green plant.
Mrs. BGR

Post Posted: Jun 28, 2019 8:38 pm 
BeerGodROX wrote:
Mrs. BGR
Scalawagy wrote:

Wily, I think some fungi on the other side of the earth from us, took the honor of the largest single living organism, a few years back. But until then, it was considered to be, that aspen grove between Independence pass and Aspen.

This is interesting: https://www.sltrib.com/news/2017/11/11/utahs-pando-aspen-grove-is-the-most-massive-living-thing-known-on-earth-it-may-die-soon/?fbclid=IwAR2U7x_Rh8FNCorNTrtYWU4F2rf_4XyxV1va4eUhcX8f0xwWy8vLA2tdkD4#gallery-carousel-8681239

~Hugo Black~

Post Posted: Jun 28, 2019 8:41 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Rubicon wrote:
... every time I get rid of one shoot, it seems like two or three more grow in its place...

:yeah that: :thud:

Aspens are attracted to the moist soil. They can "smell" water 100s of feet away.

I have the same problem. One of my beds is on concrete slab and the aspen drilled thru that into the raised bed. Shocking but true.

I have to dig out my beds every few years as the aspen roots choke out the veggies. It's a real hassle.

They don't like vinegar/salt mixture. Pouring that mixture into a trench around the outside of the beds slows them down a little bit.

I've often wondered if I watered the aspen grove would they not want to spread to my veggies garden. But I've never tried that.

Good luck

Post Posted: Jun 29, 2019 8:11 am 
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Rubicon wrote:
BeerGodROX wrote:
Mrs. BGR
Scalawagy wrote:

This is interesting: https://www.sltrib.com/news/2017/11/11/utahs-pando-aspen-grove-is-the-most-massive-living-thing-known-on-earth-it-may-die-soon/?fbclid=IwAR2U7x_Rh8FNCorNTrtYWU4F2rf_4XyxV1va4eUhcX8f0xwWy8vLA2tdkD4#gallery-carousel-8681239

Yes, it is interesting, I have to admit my knowledge was wrong on two counts, the largest single aspen is in Utah, not Colorado, and the large fungi I spoke of is in Oregon, which certainly isn't on the other side of the planet from us.
The article seems to conclude that $60,000. worth of fencing could save that grove, but the forest service claims poverty, seems ironic, in an age when our government talks so casually, about billions!

Post Posted: Jun 29, 2019 9:30 am 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Interesting article about the Aspen Grove, Pando. They seem stuck on the fence idea, a few Cougars wouldn't cost as much. They enjoy deer.

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ]