It is currently Aug 18, 2018 7:59 pm 

Urgent Care Center and Emergency Room Locations
Webpage or Mobile Webpage

Reply to topic  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Re: My Journey with a bum shoulder - post surgery [updated]
Post Posted: Jun 12, 2018 9:31 pm 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
Went to Orthopaedist to get my cortisone shots in my left shoulder (arthritis) and right knee (old injury). The shots tear me up for about 2 days, so it painful to move but it is better than the alternative (shoulder replacement - which will have to occur some day, but not any time soon).

Cortisone shots and tramadol are working for now.

Doc said my diagnosis of arthritis and use of tramadol is not on the radar of politicians trying to appear that they are "doing something" about opioids.

He said a new law came down today - no painkiller prescriptions longer than 7 days and you can't call it in.So now the doctor has to take time to write a new script, the patient has to drive to their office to pick up the piece of paper and drive to pharmacy and pharmacist has to fill a 7 day supply 4 times a month for folks with real pain. It is doing nothing but wasting people's time, in my view.

If you have a pet you wish to add to the Rainbow Bridge Site, please either post in the Pet Forum Rainbow Bridge Page viewtopic.php?f=85&t=78851 or PM me with pet names you would like them added. If you have others already there, please give me their names so I can add your pet with them.

Post Posted: Jun 12, 2018 10:04 pm 
Wily Fox aka Angela wrote:
Went to Orthopaedist to get my cortisone shots in my left shoulder (arthritis) and right knee (old injury). The shots tear me up for about 2 days, so it painful to move but it is better than the alternative (shoulder replacement - which will have to occur some day, but not any time soon).

Cortisone shots and tramadol are working for now.

Doc said my diagnosis of arthritis and use of tramadol is not on the radar of politicians trying to appear that they are "doing something" about opioids.

He said a new law came down today - no painkiller prescriptions longer than 7 days and you can't call it in.So now the doctor has to take time to write a new script, the patient has to drive to their office to pick up the piece of paper and drive to pharmacy and pharmacist has to fill a 7 day supply 4 times a month for folks with real pain. It is doing nothing but wasting people's time, in my view.

How does this make any sense for elderly or otherwise very compromised people?

Post Posted: Jun 12, 2018 11:01 pm 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
Are you kidding me????? Unbelievable! Thanks to the few people who abuse opiods, the rest of us will now have to pay the price for their stupidity! I am still recovering from a spine fusion and it will be a little while before I am totally off of all narcotics, but having to drive 70 minutes, four times a month, to fill a prescription for my pain medication is nuts! Has this "new law" been verified or is this possibly just "hear say" or perhaps only a horrible rumor!?
And, gee, Angela, are you still postponing that shoulder surgery? I thought by now you would have had that done and would be feeling like a new woman these days! I can't remember...but didn't you already have the other one done? If not, I will tell you that's it's really not that bad! And of course this is coming from someone who has now had both shoulders replaced...and both hips...and my entire spine! I am going for that "bionic look"....tee hee! I do hope you have been doing okay!!! Nice to see you pop up~

Post Posted: Jun 12, 2018 11:20 pm 
I had the rotator cuff surgery in Sept 2016 and that has held up without issue. I had a second surgery last April 2017, to scope out the bits and pieces that are breaking off in the joint and it was great for a couple of months. But I have pain as a result of it. It is arthritis that is next concern, but I don't want to get it replaced until I absolutely have to. I only want to do this once.

THis was my doctor that told me so I would say it is real

Here is law
https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/dora/M ... ews#NewLaw

"Under the new law, a prescriber must limit a patient’s initial prescription of an opioid to a seven-day supply, if the prescriber has not written an opioid prescription for the patient in the last 12 months. The prescriber may exercise discretion in including a second fill for a seven-day supply. These limits do not apply, if, in the judgment of the prescriber, the patient:

Has chronic pain that typically lasts longer than 90 days or past the time of normal healing, as determined by the prescriber, or following transfer of care from another prescriber who prescribed an opioid to the patient;
Has been diagnosed with cancer and is experiencing cancer related pain; or
Is experiencing post-surgical pain, that, because of the nature of the procedure, is expected to last more than 14 days."

If you have a pet you wish to add to the Rainbow Bridge Site, please either post in the Pet Forum Rainbow Bridge Page viewtopic.php?f=85&t=78851 or PM me with pet names you would like them added. If you have others already there, please give me their names so I can add your pet with them.

Post Posted: Jun 13, 2018 5:19 am 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
I had rotator cuff surgery on April 25, 2018. I was given a prescription for 40 pills. When I went in for my first appointment, a week later, they asked if I needed another prescription for pain pills. I still had plenty. I've been asked several times if I need more because of PT. I don't. My other shoulder needs a joint replacement. I'm glad I don't need more as they made me nauseous. I'm sorry for ones that need to keep taking them. I know some do have a lot of pain because of various problems. We all pay for the few that abuse. I also have ulnar nerve damage from a problem I had years ago. Maybe that has prepared me for what was to come.

Post Posted: Jun 13, 2018 8:21 am 
pakrat1004 wrote:
Hi everybody! Now that I have happy joints and a pain-free back, are there any suggestions about arthritis in the hands?
It's weird, when I awake in the morning my hands can barely function and are slightly swollen.
And this came on rather suddenly, like within just the past few weeks! Will Tumeric help?

I know this is an old post but I just saw it reading back from Angs comments.
Is the antibiotic you are taking Cipro or one of its relatives?
This stuff can cause some very severe irreversible side effects in some individuals.
It’s a pretty big gun and should only be used against extremely difficult infections.
I read a blog several months back and what I found was alarming.

Post Posted: Jun 13, 2018 9:13 am 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
OMG! I too have happy joints and a pain-free back! But oddly enough, I had the exact same thing that happened to me about having only a little arthritis in my hands that suddenly went overboard after my back surgery! It was so weird...I did have a little arthritis to begin with but then all of a sudden I would awake in the mornings with hands that were swollen and I could barely bend my fingers (I felt that my hands resembled stiff claws)! Using the bathroom or brushing my teeth became challenging and oftentimes I would have to wait until things loosened up before I could go on with my day. I don't know your time table from your last surgery, but eventually this odd "stiff fingers thing" gradually went away! I don't know why....and I didn't do anything different. I did go to my primary care doc and she suggested using something called Topricin (a topical ointment that is supposed to be one of the best products for arthritis) which I found at Natural Grocers). I used it for only a short time and didn't feel that it was that effective, but everyone is different. How long has this been going on and when was your last surgery? Hopefully like me it this might just go away on its own. Good luck!

Post Posted: Jun 13, 2018 11:47 am 
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
I feel for you all who are in pain. Making folks who really need meds jump through so many hoops just because of the bad behavior of some others, is really shameful. Whatever happened to first do no harm?

And PLEASE heed Jo’s warning on Cipro. I had peritonitis two years ago an Dr put me on it. After awhile I asked when I could stop. He said I’d probably be on it for life due to risk of reinfection. I had read about side effects, which include torn tendons in your shoulder (and I was having such severe pain in one of mine that I could not function, was told by Dr that I was sleeping on it wrong...), torn Achilles, and worst of all, a shredded aorta. Since he wouldn’t budge I just quit on my own. Never had another infection. Even more horrible, a cousin’s stepson took it for an infection, had a reaction and ended up in a wheelchair just as he was to start a new job. He is 27.

So Jo is right, this is dangerous stuff.

Post Posted: Jun 13, 2018 12:15 pm 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
So right! I have a close friend who took it and ended up with the loss of feeling in all of her limbs that lasted for months! Almost like neuropathy. Granted she is super sensitive to all medications, and her case was an exception I am sure, but regardless this drug is dangerous and can have horrible side effects! But I do have one BIG QUESTION....has anyone taken Fosamax and ended up with a broken hip? I would love any comments on this!

Post Posted: Jun 13, 2018 2:51 pm 
I would watch that one too. My late DH broke his hip, had it replaced, and was prescribed it in the rehab facility to “prevent” him from breaking the other one. He was 83 at the time. The side effects scared me to death. About a week after he arrived back home, most of his dental implants (he had a full mouth set) fell out or became so loose they needed to be removed. That is one apparent side effect of Fosamax. I called his Dr immediately and asked at his age is this more risk than benefit? He agreed and we stopped, but still had over $5k in oral surgery and reconstructive dental work. All the women on my side of the family including me have osteoporosis. We all refuse to take it. So that’s my 2 cents.

Post Posted: Jun 14, 2018 8:17 am 
Cortisone injections work for me, but the next 2-3 days are very painful as things settle out. So what did I on the day after my cortisone injection? I sat in my dentist's chair for 3 hours. I brought just the right pillow to tuck in beside me and keep my shoulder from having any weight on it and when I got up, NO PAIN in my shoulder at all!
And why was I the dentist's chair for so long? At my last cleaning, we found that I had two 50 year old fillings failing and causing tiny fractures in two of my molars. Yesterday was all the work in prep for the final crowns. It is a good think that I absolutely ADORE my dentist and his staff. They made the time be happy and fun but serious work was going on, too. Dr. Wilson is a real dentist that does real dentistry work, not an in and out kind of office. He truly takes care of me.

Post Posted: Jun 14, 2018 9:15 am 
Scanner Monitor
Scanner Monitor
Good grief, what an ordeal this whole thing has been! I'm glad you keep updating us.

It's kind of fun to do the impossible.

Dum spiro spero - While I breathe, I hope.

Reply to topic  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next