It is currently Nov 13, 2019 1:56 pm 

Urgent Care Center and Emergency Room Locations
desktop webpage or mobile webpage

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Anyone have experience with taking Enbrel?
Post Posted: Sep 2, 2012 8:02 am 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
I've been approved for it and should receive my meds next week?

Have you had success with it?

Have you experienced any of the side effects?

How long have you been on it?

Please share any of your experiences - if you would rather not post here, please PM me.

Thanks in advance.

Post subject:
Post Posted: Sep 2, 2012 8:23 am 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
I've been on Enbrel for six months. I had an initial positive response to it, it was wonderful and kept getting better! But after about a four-week honeymoon, it started to fade.

My experience is not typical, most people who have that initial response continue feeling good for years.

As to side effects, I get a little pink area where I inject. It doesn't itch or anything so I've ignored it.

Post subject:
Post Posted: Sep 2, 2012 8:32 am 
After the "four-week honeymoon" did you stop taking it? Did your symptoms return to what they were before starting it?

Post subject:
Post Posted: Sep 2, 2012 8:41 am 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
DaisyLover wrote:
After the "four-week honeymoon" did you stop taking it? Did your symptoms return to what they were before starting it?

They symptoms returned but not as bad as before. I'm up and getting around, I was in bed before Enbrel. My doctor has me on prednisone to try to get the Enbrel working again. I don't think it's working but the pred helps with the symptoms.

During the "honeymoon" phase, I was feeling great. Getting out of bed like a normal person, exercising, doing what I wanted to do, no pain pills necessary. So now I know I can feel better than this, I want that back!

Like I said, most people who have a positive response (either immediately or after a few months) continue feeling good for years before it fades.

Post subject:
Post Posted: Sep 2, 2012 8:48 am 
I sure hope it comes back for you! I really appreciate the response and knowing what to expect.

Thanks so much for sharing and I'll do the same.

Post subject:
Post Posted: Sep 8, 2012 10:25 am 
I gave myself my first injection on Thursday and I'm blown away by how much better it made me feel!

Thanks for the PMs and the support from everyone - it made the first injection just a bit less scary! ;)

Post subject:
Post Posted: Sep 8, 2012 10:44 am 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
It's tough, but I'm glad it's working for you, DL!

Post subject:
Post Posted: Sep 8, 2012 11:00 am 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
I've taken Enbrel for years-it works well for me. I also have to take a little methotrexate (they tried to wean me off the methotrexate, and I was able to cut down, but I can't completely get off it). I also was able to reduce the Enbrel from the original dose and have been fairly steady with no reaction to the Enbrel and few symptoms of the RA.

The one thing I've had to be careful about with Enbrel and methotrexate is that if I get sick in the form of a cold or flu or sinus infection, I have to pay close attention, because of the reduced immune system. They sometimes have to stop the meds temporarily to be able to control the cold/flu (whatever) to keep it from turning into something worse (which can happen quickly and without much warning). I do take vitamins and supplements and I eat right so I seldom get normal colds anyway, but I don't mess around if the symptoms don't go away pretty quick.

Post subject:
Post Posted: Sep 8, 2012 11:24 am 
Thanks krm18 - I had read that colds/flu could be much worse on Enbrel. The doc had me get a flu shot a week before starting it but that won't help with a cold virus, etc.

If/when I get a cold or virus, I'll just check with my doctor if it doesn't seem to get any better. I'm so glad to hear all the success stories!

Post subject: Re: Anyone have experience with taking Enbrel?
Post Posted: May 5, 2013 3:35 pm 
After 7 months, I'm almost symptom free! I had pink eye in October that took forever to cure but it wasn't so much from the Enbrel but because the Dr. (urgent care center in Kansas) gave me eye drops with an antibiotic that I was allergic to! I put it on my forms that I completed but guess he didn't read it :rant: It took a month and about $1000 in Dr bills to cure a simple case of pink eye but other than that.............it's been great!

I've developed an allergy to the Clobex (topical treatment) and have several unopened bottles of shampoo and lotion for psoriasis treatment - if anyone is interested, please send a pm.

Post Posted: May 5, 2013 3:52 pm 
Infrequent Pinecam poster
Infrequent Pinecam poster
I took Enbrel for 5 years until it suddenly stopped working, and I switched to another disease-modifying drug, Humira. My symptoms rendered me unable to walk and I now run every day. I think my cuts take longer to heal, and I am not symptom-free, but I find it miraculous.

Post Posted: May 5, 2013 5:03 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
I've been taking it for around 12 years, and so far, its been great. I take a little methotrexate too, not much, but it with the Enbrel keeps me going like nothing is wrong most of the time.

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next