It is currently Aug 18, 2019 2:49 am 

Urgent Care Center and Emergency Room Locations
desktop webpage or mobile webpage

Reply to topic  [ 218 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 19  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Re: My Journey with a bum shoulder - post surgery [updated]
Post Posted: Apr 15, 2017 6:05 pm 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
I had some pain come back last fall (2 years post surgery). We did another MRI and rotator cuff looked good, but bone spur. The bursa was unhappy and was inflamed causing pain in my upper arm and shoulder blade. I went into surgery again yesterday to have the doc look around and fix what he found. the joint at the top of the shoulder causing bursa issues and bone spur, both addressed. He said I have quite a bit of arthritis in there (loss of cartilage). I go back to him in 2 weeks for staples coming out and to check progress. I am going to talk about using NSAID's for inflammation reduction and see if that helps with the arthritis. If not, I may be looking at a shoulder replacement in my future.
Right now, just using one arm on wimpy pain pills because I cannot take the good stuff. walking around a lot to keep blood clots away and breathing deep to clear out lungs. I had a block along with general so it gave me time to get home and into a routine before it work off. Which was this morning. It is nice to have an arm back and not feel like I have dead fish hanging off the side of my body.
this is nothing like the full blown rotator cuff surgery. there is pain, but nothing like the first surgery and I will have no restrictions or PT after I reach the 2 week mark with him. I have some exercises I will do at home between day 4 and day 14 and then I should be good to go except that I am not allowed to pick up any "big [censored word] heavy stuff for 6 weeks".

If you have a pet you wish to add to the Rainbow Bridge Site, please either post in the Pet Forum Rainbow Bridge Page viewtopic.php?f=85&t=78851 or PM me with pet names you would like them added. If you have others already there, please give me their names so I can add your pet with them.

Post Posted: Apr 17, 2017 8:21 am 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
I had essentially the same surgery about three weeks ago. No rotator cup injuries visible when he got into my shoulder but I had bone spurs in the same locations as you describe. He smoothed the bone spurs. He showed me photos taken inside my shoulder before and after the bone spurs smoothing. Really remarkable. The smoothed areas look as smooth as a babies butt now! Uneventful recovery with three to four days of pain pills - good ones. No problems now, my shoulder is good as new now.
I have a knee scope scheduled for next month, the third one on both knees over the last ten years. They tend to go very smooth with a very quick recovery. Getting older and more fragile sucks!

Post Posted: Apr 17, 2017 6:57 pm 
Infrequent Pinecam poster
Infrequent Pinecam poster
Wily Fox aka Angela and X386, what surgeons did you use and would you recommend? thank you.

Post Posted: Apr 17, 2017 7:54 pm 
Dr John Reister did both of my surgeries (first rotator cuff, this time bone spur) and yes I would recommend him.

If you have a pet you wish to add to the Rainbow Bridge Site, please either post in the Pet Forum Rainbow Bridge Page viewtopic.php?f=85&t=78851 or PM me with pet names you would like them added. If you have others already there, please give me their names so I can add your pet with them.

Post Posted: Apr 18, 2017 6:11 am 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
bford62 wrote:
Wily Fox aka Angela and X386, what surgeons did you use and would you recommend? thank you.

I used to live in Bailey and don't remember the name of my first knee scope - 10 or 11 years ago. Was done by an ortho office at Swedish. All the other surgeries were done here in the New England area where I live now.

X386

Post Posted: Apr 18, 2017 6:46 am 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
Wily Fox aka Angela wrote:
I had some pain come back last fall (2 years post surgery)...

Every time I feel a twinge of pain in my shoulder I get worried. But, I'm 3 years post-op and no problems since the 2nd surgery to clear the scar tissue from the tendon injury that happened during PT. Range of motion is still as good as can be expected for my age, I think.

Post Posted: Apr 18, 2017 6:47 am 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
x386 wrote:
I have a knee scope scheduled for next month, the third one on both knees over the last ten years. They tend to go very smooth with a very quick recovery. Getting older and more fragile sucks!

Dang, Joe...you're just falling apart! Good to see/hear from you...even if it's on PC.

Post Posted: Apr 18, 2017 8:37 am 
we're ALL falling apart. as my orthopedic surgeon said to me "one part at a time" :nerd: (I also have a bad knee - damaged in a car accident 40 years ago)

Post Posted: Apr 22, 2017 8:11 pm 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
I fully believe in going to the best, when it comes to something as important as shoulder surgery! I have had two total shoulder replacement surgeries, one in September of 2014 and the other in April of 2015. Both were done by Dr. Hatzidakis at Western Orthopedics. By the way, he is actually now rated as #3 in the United States!!! Like I said, I do believe in going to the best! I would be happy to discuss further, just let me know how I can help! And I am doing great, from the surgery throughout the recovery and have absolutely no pain whatsoever! The man is a genius! I have also referred one of my best friends who recently had rotator cuff surgery plus the removal of bone spurs and she is also recovering amazingly well. I hope your insurance will be accepted there! And do interview those surgeons that you feel might work for you and then pick the one that you are the most comfortable with. I did a post looking for that perfect shoulder doctor before I had my shoulders done and am happy that you are getting so many responses. On June the 19, I will be having my entire spine fused! Boy, tired of surgeries, I must say! And I have also managed to squeeze in two total hip replacements in 2015 and 2016. I hope I will be done then...lol! Good luck to you!!!

Post Posted: Apr 22, 2017 9:38 pm 
Scanner Monitor
Scanner Monitor
What a relief it must be to have this behind you! Very happy that everything turned out so well.

Thanks for the recommendation. Hopefully we'll never need it, but you never know when you or a friend might need it.

:D

It's kind of fun to do the impossible.

Be compassionate, understanding and kind. You never know who is
this close to giving up.

Post Posted: Apr 25, 2017 10:13 am 
OMG parat104, what a ride you have had and are having. Please start a new thread and let us know how you are doing with the new surgery and if you need anything. GOOD LUCK!

I am headed back to see Dr Reister today 10 days post surgery for final check. I have ZERO PAIN and FULL MOTION. I needed to sleep sitting up for the first 6 days (did so on sofa with pillow brigade around me and then I was able to sleep normally. I just need those sutures out and I'll be good to go. I am taking the pics he took during surgery in so he can 'plain it to me. I am pleased.

Post Posted: Apr 25, 2017 1:26 pm 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
Hi there! Just thrilled to hear that you are doing so well! I wondered since I hadn't seen a post from you in quite awhile, if you had finally figured out the right path on your shoulder...and it sounds as though you did! I couldn't be happier for you! You have had your struggles too and this stuff is never easy! I am scared spitless about the next surgery that I have coming up...total fusion, top to bottom! Lots of those nasty metal pieces which will practically eliminate most of my mobility. At this point I am practically bionic! New shoulders, new hips, and a few internal improvements have filled my life these past three years. My back is to be done on June 19 and 21 (a 2-day event)! Sigh! I can barely walk and even trying to get groceries has been extremely challenging. And of course once I get home the real issue is trying to unload the car and then crawl upstairs toting plastic bags behind me...quite the image, no? LOL! I too am hoping it will go well and I can get my life back. Thanks for your encouragement, it's greatly appreciated! Enjoy that new, improved and pain-free joint of yours! Keep on doing well...you deserve it! Is your other shoulder doing okay? I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you! So hang in there and start to really enjoy your life again!

Reply to topic  [ 218 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 19  Next