It is currently Aug 25, 2019 2:13 pm 

Urgent Care Center and Emergency Room Locations
desktop webpage or mobile webpage

Reply to topic  [ 218 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 19  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Re: My Journey with a bum shoulder - post surgery [updated]
Post Posted: Apr 25, 2017 5:26 pm 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
OK, so the doc has pics from 2 1/2 years ago and now of my shoulder. It has deteriorated greatly in that time. He removed some chunks of stuff floating around in there. yech. There may come a time when I will need to have that joint replaced because the arthritis will have consumed it. But for now, life is good and pain free.

If you have a pet you wish to add to the Rainbow Bridge Site, please either post in the Pet Forum Rainbow Bridge Page viewtopic.php?f=85&t=78851 or PM me with pet names you would like them added. If you have others already there, please give me their names so I can add your pet with them.

Post Posted: Apr 25, 2017 5:59 pm 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
Which shoulder was just done? And is it your other shoulder that has those nasty floating chunks? Mine were both hit with arthritis, hence two replacements! Boy, I can certainly remember how painful they both became. And what a relief to have them fixed! It's amazing what they can do, isn't it? So, you now have one newly repaired shoulder and one on the "wait & see" list? Do I have that right? But both are pain free at this time, correct? Hard to keep up...lol! Later! Lori

Post Posted: Apr 25, 2017 6:36 pm 
left shoulder is the only one that has given me any trouble. he went in on same incision he did with rotator cuff only it was about 1/4 of the incision that he opened this time - as he put it long enough to get his finger in there to feel the bone spur. yech

If you have a pet you wish to add to the Rainbow Bridge Site, please either post in the Pet Forum Rainbow Bridge Page viewtopic.php?f=85&t=78851 or PM me with pet names you would like them added. If you have others already there, please give me their names so I can add your pet with them.

Post Posted: Nov 4, 2017 2:40 pm 
SO.... my rotator cuff repair remains rock solid.... the arthritis is keeping the bursa at the top of shoulder inflamed and unhappy. The surgery helped for about a month and then pain was coming back. I tried NSAIDS for 3 months with little to no affect on shoulder. The unhappy bursa causes my upper arm to have significant sharp, take your breath away pain which seems to be random but always involving raising my arm. It it about 5 inches below the shoulder joint and feels like something pops or tears in there. I went to see doc last week and got shots in my shoulder and my right knee. As long as we can manage the pain with the shots, I will not consider the only option left for me now. Shoulder replacement. Doc says I WILL need it, but am not a candidate yet, unless we are unable to control the pain and let me have a relatively "normal" life.

SO... any shoulder replacement stories out there?

Post Posted: Nov 4, 2017 6:48 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
Hi Angela. May I suggest something that has REALLY helped with my bursitis in both of my hips? I have been suffering with hip bursitis in both hips for about 15+ years, along with Degenerative Disc Disease in my back. While I take pain meds daily for my back, oddly enough, they did not seem to alleviate my hip pain all that much. My doctor suggested that I try a pharmaceutical grade curcumin (turmeric) which acts as a natural anti-inflammatory in the body. I take 4 capsules a day (2 in AM and 2 in PM) of THORNE (brand) of Meriva-SF Sustained Release (you can get on Amazon.) I just kind of took in automatically for a month or two, not expecting any results. Then one day it hit me that, "WOW! My hip pain is totally gone!" It might just help with your shoulder bursitis too. At least you could give a bottle a try - it couldn't hurt. Good luck. Pain of any kind sucks!

Post Posted: Nov 4, 2017 8:58 pm 
I am open to trying things. I will look it up on Amazon and buy some tonight. I'll keep you posted. thanks for the tip!

Post Posted: Nov 5, 2017 6:58 pm 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
Hi Angela! It's been awhile since we chatted and I hate to hear that you are still dealing with that crappy shoulder of yours! Obviously I can relate and I have to stress that having a total shoulder replacement is really not that bad or scary! I have to admit that I was terrified with the prospect of having that done but in the end I am sorry that I waited so long. But now I just want to throw in my two cents worth...as I have had two "total shoulder replacements" and two "total hip replacements" and I couldn't be happier with the results! I have been one of the world's biggest procrastinators and would rather try anything other than surgery. And to top it off, I am currently at home recovering from a spinal fusion (T-8 all the way down) that I had just 8 weeks ago! And please, no cute comments about being a bionic woman, etc.! LOL! Seriously, I have been living with the most horrendous back pain going back almost 30 years, due to degenerative disc disease and a nasty case of scoliosis. But when you finally run out of options, and narcotics don't have the impact they once did, and injections aren't nearly as effective as they once were, the writing was on the wall! My back was continuing to collapse and nerves were being crushed. It got to the point I had difficulty walking (I could barely do stairs anymore) and even breathing was being compromised. And then the pain became completely unbearable! And to fast forward to today....I am happy to say that I have reduced my drug intake by two thirds and my pain is almost entirely gone! Seriously! From a pain score of 8 or 9 down to a silly little 1! I owe the success of my surgeries to the surgeons who operated on me. I did my homework and it paid off. My shoulder doc is rated Number Three in this country and he is the one who ultimately referred me to my spine guy! My shoulder doctor was a Dr. Armodios Hatzidakis at Western Orthopedics (303-321-1333) and my spine surgeon was a Dr. Anant Kumar at Colorado Spine and Scoliosis (720-452-3355). Please let me know if I can provide any additional information....and best of luck to you!

Post Posted: Nov 5, 2017 7:14 pm 
I have been thinking about you and wondering about the back surgery. I am so happy to hear things are going so much better. When you get that many fused, what does that mean? No bending over? Does it impact your day to day stuff?
The only joints left are your knees! how are they holding up? :)

Post Posted: Nov 5, 2017 9:23 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
I have heard wonderful things about Turmeric also.I have meant to try some but didn't get around to it yet.

Post Posted: Nov 5, 2017 9:42 pm 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
I do worry about my knees as they are the only joints that I have left but so far they do seem to be okay! It is interesting and kinda funny how different my body is now...I am two inches taller and no longer terribly crooked. I really thought that I would be stiff as a board but not so. When it comes to bending, it's all done at the hips instead. But really it's a lot better than I expected. I still have a few "precautions" that limit me on bending or lifting or twisting, so I don't know quite yet what the end result will be! But I do feel great! And I don't think that my overall mobility will be that bad. So how are you? I do hate hearing that you are still in pain on that crazy shoulder of yours. I know you have a great doctor and that's what really matters. How many injections have you had in that joint? And what does your doc say about how much longer you have before it's time for surgery? Personally I couldn't be any happier about having my shoulders done! No pain and I never thought that was even possible. I really am still kicking myself for waiting as long as I did before I "caved" and said "enough is enough"! I have thought about you this past year and really wish I could help! Lori

Post Posted: Nov 6, 2017 8:48 am 
Infrequent Pinecam poster
Infrequent Pinecam poster
"SO... any shoulder replacement stories out there?"

I agree with pakrat1004 about shoulder replacement surgery...if you are a candidate 'Do it!' Had both of mine done years ago at Panorama in Golden. Not sure exactly when but it was when they first opened and was one of their initial patients. Couldn't lift my arms high enough to wash my armpits (arthritis). Was back to work in 9 days on light duty and quite functional after 2 weeks.
No pain, range of motion % in the high 90's and hardly ever think about them. Sometimes with arm/arms extended and twisting while lifting an object am I aware that my shoulders are artificial. Otherwise, no worries other than notifiing staff prior to any dental proceedures.

Post Posted: Nov 6, 2017 1:13 pm 
did the docs give you guys any estimate on how long the replacements would last before it needed to be done again?

Reply to topic  [ 218 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 19  Next