It is currently Feb 21, 2019 9:19 pm 

Urgent Care Center and Emergency Room Locations
desktop webpage or mobile webpage

Reply to topic  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Re: My Journey with a bum shoulder - post surgery [updated]
Post Posted: Nov 6, 2017 12:32 pm 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
I never asked...oops! But in some previous research, I think that I read that they should last
about 15 or 20 years. And of course that would be dependent upon how much you use or abuse them.
It really is fantastic not to have the pain! I actually forget that they aren't actually my own!
You would never regret doing this, really! And as gettinold commented, I need to take Amoxicillin
prior to any dental procedures which isn't a big deal.

Post Posted: Nov 6, 2017 1:12 pm 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
what does an artificial shoulder joint have to with dental work ?

If you have a pet you wish to add to the Rainbow Bridge Site, please either post in the Pet Forum Rainbow Bridge Page viewtopic.php?f=85&t=78851 or PM me with pet names you would like them added. If you have others already there, please give me their names so I can add your pet with them.

Post Posted: Nov 6, 2017 3:13 pm 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
I am not entirely sure, but it is my understanding that any time dental work is performed (even a cleaning), there can be some abrasion to the gum and therefore bacteria can get into your bloodstream. And a joint replacement is always susceptible for a joint infection! There are different theories out there, especially questioning how many years afterwards does one need to pop the antibiotics, but in my case I would rather be safe than sorry.

Post Posted: Nov 6, 2017 7:18 pm 
I read this on WebMD

For at least 2 years after your surgery, your doctor may want you to take antibiotics before dental work or any invasive medical procedure. This is to help prevent infection around your shoulder replacement. After 2 years, your doctor and dentist will decide whether you still need to take antibiotics. Your general health and the state of your other health conditions will help them decide.

If you have a pet you wish to add to the Rainbow Bridge Site, please either post in the Pet Forum Rainbow Bridge Page viewtopic.php?f=85&t=78851 or PM me with pet names you would like them added. If you have others already there, please give me their names so I can add your pet with them.

Post Posted: Nov 6, 2017 7:40 pm 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
I wasn't too far off base! I have asked some of my joint doctors about how long I needed to do this and they all preferred that I continue to pre-medicate before all dental procedures...forever! Thank goodness antibiotics are cheap! LOL!!! Thanks, Angela, for checking into this and passing along this info as well! How long does your shoulder doc think you have before you will need surgery? In my situation I decided that the surgery for me was "inevitable" anyway, so I chose not to procrastinate but to start enjoying life with happy shoulders rather than continue to suffer for a few months longer! It was going to happen, so what was the point in waiting? Thanks again and I hope you are having a nice evening! Lori

Post Posted: Nov 6, 2017 7:48 pm 
Basically he said that if we can get me quality life with shots and popping tramadol from time to time, then I don't need to do anything. Once those things are no longer working, then it is time to consider it.

I would think with all your joint replacements, you are a high risk for infection, so doing it always is a good idea. My husband (retired from medicine) said that the joints no longer have blood flow (which carries white cells to fight infection), so risk of infection is a big concern. that makes sense.

Post subject: Re: Rotator Cuff Surgery
Post Posted: Nov 6, 2017 11:26 pm 
Infrequent Pinecam poster
Infrequent Pinecam poster
A very interesting article to read before considering surgery
http://www.amjorthopedics.com/home/arti ... cuff+tears

Post subject: Re: Rotator Cuff Surgery
Post Posted: Nov 7, 2017 12:20 am 
highaltitudedreams wrote:
A very interesting article to read before considering surgery
http://www.amjorthopedics.com/home/arti ... cuff+tears

thanks, for me, I already had rotator cuff repair done 3 years ago. My ongoing issue is arthritis which continues to cause pain. I put if off for 10 years and I mus say that knowing how much improvement I had afterwards, I wish I had not waited so long.

Post Posted: Nov 7, 2017 8:05 am 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Turmeric can be a wonder cure for inflammatory pain but even if it's not, the stuff will help but short & long term.

Post Posted: Nov 7, 2017 9:33 am 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
Hi everybody! Now that I have happy joints and a pain-free back, are there any suggestions about arthritis in the hands?
It's weird, when I awake in the morning my hands can barely function and are slightly swollen.
And this came on rather suddenly, like within just the past few weeks! Will Tumeric help?

Post Posted: Nov 7, 2017 11:16 am 
lawdy, girl....you should definitely see your doc about this. it could be reaction to some supplement or medication or surgery. Best to know the cause.

Post Posted: Nov 7, 2017 11:39 am 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
Any other comments about using Tumeric? And how many mg are we talking about? I just checked and there is a lot of it
being sold on eBay too. I wonder if it might also be available at the large vitamin and/or supplement stores!

Reply to topic  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next