It is currently Jul 6, 2020 8:42 pm 

Urgent Care Center and Emergency Room Locations
desktop webpage or mobile webpage

Reply to topic  [ 410 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 35  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Re: My Journey with a bum shoulder - @ 5 yrs-replace in Sept
Post Posted: Sep 18, 2019 8:59 pm 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
When I had nights like that, I slept with the ice machine. The cold and tiny noise were helpful. Can't hurt...
Mrs. BGR

Post Posted: Sep 18, 2019 9:01 pm 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
good idea

If you have a pet you wish to add to the Rainbow Bridge Site, please either post in the Pet Forum Rainbow Bridge Page viewtopic.php?f=85&t=78851 or PM me with pet names you would like them added. If you have others already there, please give me their names so I can add your pet with them.

Post Posted: Sep 19, 2019 10:12 am 
I’m glad you have all this wisdom of experience to help you get through the process Ang.

I once remember ridgewalker commenting on a post op thread.
The phrase she used was “ better living through quality pharmaceuticals”.

You are far too cognizant and conscientious to become a substance abuser. Take your meds to help you find the comfort to help you sleep. Sleep is essential to healing and your over all well being.
Gentle hugs to you.

Post Posted: Sep 19, 2019 10:14 am 
thanks for all the kind and generous words about pain and meds, etc. It helps me do the right thing by me and the pain I am in. I am putting a lot of weight on the appointment this coming Tuesday to remove the staples. I am hopeful that will help a lot.

Last night was not good for much of it, but I got up at 3am and climbed over to the bed and supported my arm with new pillows (ones I have not tried before) and slept well for 6 hours. My arm was not too stiff waking up. I have to lie on my right side only as lying on my back puts pressure on shoulder blade which is no good. So I had two fluffy yet supportive pillows in front of me that I could drape my arm across. no sling. so... continuing to figure it out.

If you have a pet you wish to add to the Rainbow Bridge Site, please either post in the Pet Forum Rainbow Bridge Page viewtopic.php?f=85&t=78851 or PM me with pet names you would like them added. If you have others already there, please give me their names so I can add your pet with them.

Post Posted: Sep 20, 2019 11:11 am 
I slept in bed all night last night with little pain. I have figured out the right amount of pillows and cushiness to do so. I can almost lay on my back as long as I am not putting pressure on that shoulder blade. I make a "hole" in the pillows under there so it is "suspended"

Post Posted: Sep 20, 2019 3:16 pm 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
Thinking about you this beautiful autumn afternoon.
Sending love, energy and healing (and good sleep).
Mrs. BGR

Post Posted: Sep 22, 2019 10:40 am 
MILESTONES

1. Yesterday, I was able to slice my own limes (I use them in my cranberry/water that I drink all day long) - I could grip the lime to cut it.

2. I did not need to take any pain meds until about 4pm

3. last night was the first good night's sleep I have had.... in... close to 6 months! I have to be careful of positions I am in, but I was pain free while in them. For the last 6 months, I was unable to even find a comfortable position to sleep.

Post Posted: Sep 22, 2019 10:53 am 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Yay! Now that had to feel wonderful, an entire night's sleep! Wish you many more of those. Glad to hear you are also able to start doing a few light things. Emphasis on light :lol:

Post Posted: Sep 25, 2019 3:41 pm 
OKAY, so I am stupid with a capital S

Monday, Cassi had a cling-on on her long haired behind and was stinking up the joint. I proceeded to pick her up to try to get it off. Well when I grabbed her and began to pick her up from the floor, she took off and my instincts held on, so my arm was JERKED HARD forward and UP. I was in IMMEDIATE PAIN and [censored word] that I was so stupid and worried that I undid the surgery. Roger came running in and helped me to calm down and breath. After about 10 minutes, the immediate pain was subsiding, but now I worried. I could still move my arm, so I decided to wait until I saw Dr Reister the next day (yesterday, Tuesday the 24th) for my 2 week post surgery visit.

I told him I was SO STUPID and he got right to my face and said "about 20% of my patients are stupid" :) Well, I told him, I had set a new bar. Anyway, no damage done. He was most concerned with the tendon that they remove and reattach to get in there to work and it was still good.

He also told me that I was the only patient that he has ever put his foot on their bed. :)

We took XRays and it is so cool. I asked him how my shoulder looked when he went in and he shook his head and had a look on his face like he just tasted something bad and said, "oh it was way time for it to come out, it was bad".

This is not my shoulder but a good likeness to what it looks like now. yes, that is stuck all the way down in the humerus. The bursa that was always inflamed and causing my arm to hurt is above the new joint so out of the picture and the rotator cuff that kept tearing is also not involved in new joint.

Image Image

Got the staples out but is has a ways to fully heal, so no hot tub yet. I set myself back about 5 days in the healing process as regards to pain, so I am taking Oxycodone about 2 times a day.

I should start PT on Friday, just waiting for them to get Tricare authorization. I go back to see him on Halloween.

Post Posted: Oct 7, 2019 9:36 am 
So, I started PT last week. oh man... the massage hurts so good. now trying to gain some motion back. I have a LONG way to go. I have a pulley that I used for my rotator cuff surgery in 2014 and that works well as I can control the speed and smoothness of the stretches. The one that I am having the most difficulty with is external rotation (holding arm down by side with elbow bent 90 degrees out front and trying to move it sideways). NOT AT ALL right now. They cut the biceps tendon to be able to get in there and reattach it. My husband says tendons take 3 months to heal, so given my age, more like 4-5 I would guess. This is going to be a long road and the recovery seems tougher than the rotator cuff.
BUT, all in all, my shoulder feels better "overall", but I am still in pain if I over do my exercises. I have a shoulder heating pad and ice machine that I am using now. heat before stretches and cold afterwards.

Image Image

Post Posted: Oct 7, 2019 10:17 am 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
Glad to hear that you are finally starting physical therapy! It's interesting how each doctor has their own opinion and protocol about it! I began PT the day after I got out of the hospital! Where are you going for it and how often? Thank goodness for that ice machine, huh? Just remember that every day things will get better and easier too. I am getting ready for a cervical fusion and have to say that I am not too excited about that. Yup, getting old is definitely not fun!!! Hang in there!

Post Posted: Oct 7, 2019 10:50 am 
I am going to Conifer Physical Therapy (next to Brooks) and going 2X week and doing my exercises 2-3 times/day. I would have started at 2 weeks instead of 3 weeks but they were figuring out insurance.
cervical fusion?! which ones? when?

Reply to topic  [ 410 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 35  Next