It is currently Nov 17, 2019 12:44 am 

Urgent Care Center and Emergency Room Locations
desktop webpage or mobile webpage

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: How to choose Medicare Part D?
Post Posted: Nov 11, 2019 5:34 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
My husband is on Medicare and has Rocky Mountain which doesn't cover the RX. I know Humana has plans up here for both medical and RX, but he doesn't want to change his doctor, so that isn't an option and we need to choose a separate Part D plan. I went to the Medicare site and compared a bunch of the lower cost plans, mainly Humana (which he currently has this year), WellCare and Anthem MediBlue. They all cover his current meds, they all have preferred pharmacies somewhat in the area, they all have a deductible and they all are pretty high on the percentage one has to pay for most Tier 4 drugs. Hands down, WellCare is the least expensive, with his meds being Tier 1 on those plans with some on Tier 2 with other companies. Anthem has the lowest deductible and a lower percentage on Tier 4 meds, but is a bit more costly. Humana falls somewhere in the middle. According to a broker I spoke with, Humana is automatically moving people on lower priced Humana Part D plans to higher priced plans unless they call and switch it back. If that is true, we don't particularly like that action, and we did get that notice that told us our plan price was increasing substantially.

What I can't figure out is whether there is difference in the formularies for the different levels of plan within the same company. Do the higher priced plans in general have richer formularies as you move up in monthly cost? Or is the formulary standard for the company and the difference is the percentage you pay for the level of monthly cost chosen? Additionally, do you choose a plan based on current medications or do you invest in a plan that "might" be more likely to cover a medication that you can't even imagine now? What guidelines would you use and why? Cheapest plan that covers meds and hope? Or a more expensive plan for something that hasn't and may not ever happen?

An interesting note on WellCare. On the Medicare website, WellCare’s cheapest plan, has Walmart and King Soopers as preferred pharmacies. The next cheapest WellCare has neither Walmart or King Soopers as preferred pharmacies, and the next WellCare plan up cost-wise, has only King Soopers and not Walmart as preferred pharmacies. Every WellCare plan except the lowest has CVS as preferred pharmacy too, but we don’t have one close. So, if this is accurate, and I don't know if it is, their preferred pharmacies change with the plan choice.

Post subject: Re: How to choose Medicare Part D?
Post Posted: Nov 11, 2019 6:05 pm 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
See this post from Andrewcoutavas under the topic: the medicare TV AD:
Ridgewalker found Andrew very helpful. viewtopic.php?f=99&t=233338&start=12

Andrewcoutavas wrote:
I would be happy to answer any questions in regards to Medicare because as one of your mountain neighbors that is all that I do.
I specialize in medicare options and information. So feel free to call or text 720-256-3030. Don't work I'm going to sell you something either, I help plenty of folk realize the plan they are on is the right one if it is. I also don't charge anything to help:)
Just let me know if I can help.

Andrew Coutavas
720-256-3030

Post subject: Re: How to choose Medicare Part D?
Post Posted: Nov 12, 2019 6:38 am 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
I talked to Andrew about our situation. It took less than 5 minutes to decide how to handle our situation, both now and in the future. I would highly recommend him.

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ]