It is currently Jun 27, 2017 6:27 pm 

Urgent Care Center and Emergency Room Locations
Webpage or Mobile Webpage

Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Re: Type II Diabetics - ever feel like you want to give up?
Post Posted: Jun 16, 2016 8:39 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Did give up, DL. Reading that meter just jacked up my stress levels. My body does tell me when my sugar is very high (it's high all the time since I couldn't afford my meds and had to stop in order to pay other expenses--heck, lost the house anyway...). The way I see it, I can't do anything about a high reading but stress out. I have found that peanuts help with my sugar levels, and of course lots of water. Please don't let those fluctuations mess with your mind. Better to take a break now and then from that meter. What others have said is true. One hand will give a very different count than the other. Check out the glycemic index of what you are eating and basically a low carb diet to keep things even.

Post Posted: Jun 16, 2016 8:58 pm 
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
TrednWatr wrote:
Did give up, DL. Reading that meter just jacked up my stress levels. My body does tell me when my sugar is very high (it's high all the time since I couldn't afford my meds and had to stop in order to pay other expenses

I hear ya... and what really stinks is when you don't have the funds to eat healthy.
TrednWatr, have you checked out www.goodrx.com? You can print out coupons for any meds and it's a huge discount compared to the regular price. You can use it at any store like King Soopers, Safeway, Walmart etc...Saint Anthony's Health Center in Evergreen has goodrx cards at the front desk. Just show your card when you get your meds. No need to print out a coupon that way.

₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪

Post Posted: Jun 16, 2016 9:50 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Thanx for the tips bdogsgal! Wuz on Januvia, but will try going back to doc to see if I can afford something. Guess it's getting to be time to get back on that stupid treadmill. What a world it would be if they could do something with stem cells and actually cure this curse--oops, no profit there :-) I will check out your suggestions!

Post Posted: Jun 16, 2016 9:56 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
I'm my opinion the insulin did more harm then good for me I stuck with the pills because insulin causes weight especially in the belly and that aids in type2 the less belly fat the less issues I lost the belly fat after the pregnancy and no longer needed the meds. Coconut oil does a great job in aiding with blood sugar levels.

Post Posted: Jun 17, 2016 6:05 am 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
Really good information - most I didn't know about. I need to go back and read each post again and absorb the good information and I have given up for now with checking blood sugar levels. Found out yesterday that I have advanced periodontal disease and have to have surgery - so I have no idea what's in store with that now. Not something I've dealt with before but I'll get through it like so many others have. It feels like it all comes down on ya at the same time doesn't it?

Post Posted: Jun 17, 2016 8:19 am 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Oh dear! That periodontal disease doesn't sound fun at all.

I saw a dietician/nutritionist for my celiac. She was very helpful in when and how many carbs I should eat with other foods and exercise. She also kept it simple and easy to follow. I don't like meat all that much but I now eat 3 oz per day per her guidelines.

My "blood sugar monitor", the neuropathy in my feet is excellent. A great reminder to tell myself - stop. Potatoes affect me worse than chocolate. Go figure. My dietician told me to keep the skin on potatoes so I always buy the little ones to get a higher skin to meat ratio.

Post Posted: Jun 17, 2016 8:32 am 
I do the same lkwoooo - eat potatoes seldom but always with the skin. We make ONLY whole grain pasta but it doesn't matter because it makes my BS soar so when we have a dinner that includes pasta, I am being completely serious, I count out how many penne and it's usually 10 pieces. I've gotten accustomed to it but it seems a little ridiculous to do it that way.

No longer eat white rice or white bread - haven't for years.

ALWAYS take the stairs - my dr is on the 3rd floor - I have always taken the stairs.

I do like meat so that helps - I'm sorry that you are forced to eat meat but I'm sure it's a good thing.

Post Posted: Jun 17, 2016 9:10 am 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
I'm lucky that I don't like anything made with wheat; it's made me sick for so long.

Tofu is tasteless (like pasta) so I use it instead. It comes in firm, extra firm and silken. It doesn't tweak blood sugar either.

I sometimes take psyllium (it's the main fiber in Metamucil. I take Konsyl without any flavoring - it has to be stirred a lot) when I eat more carbs than I should.

If I'm going to eat something with a lot of carbs, I try to time it around when I know I'll get some exercise.

I think humans were meant to eat some meat so I'm okay with a little bit. My body doesn't make cholesterol so I need some and people don't make their own B12 which you can only get from meat (and maybe algae).

Post Posted: Jun 17, 2016 9:13 am 
Tofu - I never thought of that as a substitute. I'm not crazy about it but I can eat it. Thanks for posting that, it's another option that I didn't think about.

Post Posted: Jun 17, 2016 9:21 am 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Yep. It's best "disguised". Since it comes in different textures and absorbs the flavor of things, it's not too bad. I drown it in spaghetti sauce. I prefer silken since it's more "absorbent" but it breaks apart more easily. Conifer Natural Grocers only sells the firmer varieties so I get the silken at King Soopers. I think the firm stuff is more popular but I think it's icky.

Post Posted: Jun 17, 2016 9:36 am 
I will definitely give it a try and read up on it too.

Post Posted: Jun 17, 2016 3:30 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Costco (and I'm sure other stores) sells an organic edamame "spaghetti noodle" It looks more like green angel hair. It's 10 net carbs per serving - much less than reg. pasta. I used to be a pastaterian, but no longer eat any pasta, sigh. I'm quite used to it now, but it took a while. I also make a "bread" out of psyllium husk powder which satisfies my love of sandwiches.

Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next