It is currently Jan 22, 2017 11:17 am 

Urgent Care Center and Emergency Room Locations
Webpage or Mobile Webpage

Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Re: Type II Diabetics - ever feel like you want to give up?
Post Posted: Jun 21, 2016 5:13 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Good for you, DL! Don't make your world revolve around that meter. Lotsa good info on this thread. Just got my results back from a blood draw a couple weeks ago. Having given up, hold onto your horses, I came up at A1C of 15, down from 15.7 last year at the same time. I would love to have your sugar levels! When I was on meds, my A1C ran from 5 to 6 and the doc kept telling me I had to go lower, but ya know, before I ever developed this disease, my sugar levels were in the 100 - 120 range and I was fine. Individuals don't always fit into handy dandy charts, so you might be OK at 110 - 130---how do you feel? What is your body telling you? Also, my sugar shoots way up with potatoes and pasta. I don't do potatoes if I can avoid them, and not much pasta at all. Best of luck with your periodontal problems. They might be affecting your sugar for sure.

Post Posted: Jun 22, 2016 5:50 am 
Scanner Monitor
Scanner Monitor
Oh my TrednWatr - are you Type I or II - Can you "feel" it when your BS shoots up to 15? I can't tell any difference at all. Are you seeing a doctor about your Diabetes?

Post Posted: Jun 22, 2016 7:58 am 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
As a Type 1 (which, I know, is totally different), an A1c of 15 is really high. For me, that would put me at tremendous risk for complications.

OTOH, when you guys talk about needing to be in the 5s, that also alarms me. If I did that, I'd be having hypoglycemic emergencies and be in the ER all the time.

I'm at 7.5 which is my goal. That is high compared to most Type 1s, but is the level most appropriate for me. I've had it 40 years, and can't tell when my BS is getting too low (a complication called autonomic neuropathy). Keeping it a little bit higher all the time helps protect me from that.

There must be even more difference between Type 1 and 2 than I realized! 8O

Neighbors Helping Neighbors

:go broncos:

Post Posted: Jun 22, 2016 8:06 am 
Scanner Monitor
Scanner Monitor
I think 5.6 - 6.4 is classified as "PRE-Diabetic" - that must only pertain to Type II?

Post Posted: Jun 22, 2016 8:11 am 
I'm not sure. When I was diagnosed, my bs was 800+. Type 1 comes on suddenly. The theory is that the autoimmune system completely destroys the pancreas' ability to produce insulin all at once. In T-2, it's more of a gradual deterioration.

Post Posted: Jun 22, 2016 10:35 am 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
In Type II a person becomes insulin resistant.

From my understanding blood sugar will not come down as easily in response to insulin because the cells are "resistant" to it. If this scenario goes on long enough, the pancreas cannot keep up with the resistance so insulin injections may be required. Pills may be prescribed initially.

There are two types of pills (that I know of). One will make the pancreas secrete more insulin and the other, typically Metformin, changes sugar secretion by the liver. That's my measly understanding.

Amazingly enough, I've heard some Type I diabetics can become insulin resistant as well. I've also heard there's a Type 1 1/2 diabetes where it's not insulin resistance but is an adult onset of Type I diabetes.

I'm not a medical professional. Maybe I shouldn't submit this.... It may raise more questions than answers. I've heard Metformin can have some very good side effects - like fight cancer cells and prolong life span....

Post Posted: Jun 22, 2016 11:14 am 
Interesting!

Post Posted: Jun 22, 2016 11:40 am 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
I'm not a medical professional either, but TrednWater needs help.
TrednWatr – Please see your doctor for appropriate treatment to bring your A1C level down. That is not healthy for anyone, Type 2 or Type 1. ADA Fact: “Diabetes nearly doubles your chance of having a heart attack. But good diabetes control can reduce your risk for complications.”

To put that A1C in perspective:
A normal fasting blood sugar reading is around 80-100 mg/dl. An average of 90 mg/dl would correspond to an A1C of 4.8.
As DaisyLover wrote: “I think 5.6 - 6.4 is classified as "PRE-Diabetic". The ADA currently defines pre-diabetes at an A1C of 5.7-6.4. Those A1C levels correspond to an average blood sugar reading of 117-137 mg/dl. ADA also considers a fasting blood sugar reading of 100-125 mg/dl as prediabetes.
ADA classifies diabetes at an A1 of 6.5, or an average blood sugar of 140 mg/dl. ADA also considers a random blood sugar of 200 mg/dl as a diabetes diagnosis. http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/diagnosis/.
TrednWatr’s A1C of 15 would correspond to an average blood sugar of 384 mg/dl.

Ikwoo is correct that Type 2 (the most common form of diabetes) is characterized by insulin resistance. So a Type 2 diabetic would have high blood sugar from insulin resistance and high insulin from trying to overcome that resistance. As Ikwoo noted, the pancreas may eventually burn out from trying to churn out more and more insulin to overcome that resistance. Some people are now questioning whether a Type 2 should receive medication that makes the pancreas produce more insulin if that might lead to burnout sooner.

Type 1(formerly called juvenile diabetes), as AspenLeaf noted, is an autoimmune disease that destroys the pancreas. So a Type 1 diabetic would have high blood sugar from lack of insulin production. The only treatment is insulin injection (syringe, pen, or pump). As AL noted, Type 1 usually comes on suddenly when it is diagnosed in children. However, there are those of us diagnosed as adults where the autoimmune destruction was a bit slower. There are multiple blood tests that measure the antibodies associated with the autoimmune disease to distinguish between Type 2 and adult-onset Type 1. Type 1s can develop insulin resistance (sometimes referred to as “double-diabetes”) which will cause their insulin dosages to increase.

Last edited by Starsky on Jun 22, 2016 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Jun 22, 2016 12:01 pm 
Scanner Monitor
Scanner Monitor
Wow Starsky - you really know your stuff and thanks for an explanation that is easy to follow.

Post Posted: Jun 22, 2016 12:10 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
You're welcome, DaisyLover. I'm glad that you were able to follow that explanation.

There's an unfortunate reason that I learned so much - first the missed diagnosis when my A1C started creeping up, then the misdiagnosis as Type 2, and then finally the correct Type 1 diagnosis.

I have so much respect for the Type 1 survivors like AspenLeaf that have successfully managed their disease for so many years.

Post Posted: Jun 22, 2016 12:12 pm 
Scanner Monitor
Scanner Monitor
You were misdiagnosed with T-2 when you really had T-1 or did a progression occur from 1 to 2?

I, too, have so much respect for Type-1s - I cry and moan with Type 2 when Type 1 is so devastating to the body - physically and emotionally.

Post Posted: Jun 22, 2016 12:21 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
I was misdiagnosed as a Type 2 because of my age, when I really had Type 1 all along. Type 1 (autoimmune) does not turn into Type 2 (insulin resistance). However, some Type 1s can develop insulin resistance in addition to their autoimmune disease. If that happens, then a T1 would have to inject even more insulin to get the same effect on lowering their blood sugar.

Type 2 isn't easy either. My condolences to anyone who has any type of this disease.

Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next