Urgent Care Center and Emergency Room Locations
Webpage or Mobile Webpage

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Dead in Bed
Post Posted: Nov 20, 2016 8:00 am 
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Prolific Pinecam Poster
This is information we all should be aware of, whether for ourselves or a loved one. The reluctance of the medical community to provide continuous monitoring for post-op patients, means that we have to be vigilant when a loved one is in a hospital, on pain meds, and not leave them alone until they are no longer being prescribed high dose opioids post operatively.
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/longform/dead-in-bed-a-deadly-hospital-secret

Post subject: Re: Dead in Bed
Post Posted: Nov 20, 2016 7:30 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
Thank you for posting this.
My husband and I don't expect to need hospital care anytime soon, but I have saved some of the links to hospital evaluations. We all need to be proactive in understanding our health care options and the associated risks . Plus we need to check ahead of time that all of the care providers and facilities are covered by our insurance and what our costs will be.

Post Posted: Nov 20, 2016 8:27 pm 
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Prolific Pinecam Poster
kem-here, you are welcome. This statement is alarming: In an effort to better manage patient pain, there’s concern that hospitals may be providing too much pain medication.The investigation also found that hospitals actually profit when patients are kept pain-free. That’s because patients grade hospitals on how well their pain is managed – higher scores can mean millions in federal cash.

I hope the continuous monitoring of post op patients comes into effect before more people die.

Post Posted: Nov 20, 2016 9:31 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
Yes, I am concerned too about the over-use of pain killers to please the patients. The public is becoming aware of the opioid addiction epidemic that often begins with pain prescriptions. Hopefully, patients will question the amount of medications they are receiving. I'm surprised that the hospitals haven't corrected this issue since needless deaths are so much worse than a patient complaining about having experienced some pain. Reminds me of the over-use of antibiotics because patients expect their doctor to prescribe a pill to fix something. Another frustration is the advertising of pharmaceuticals to the public and the cozy relationship of drug companies with many medical providers. We all have to educate ourselves (using reasonable sources) and advocate for proper medical care.
Thanks again for bringing the dangers of pain killers to our attention and the need for us to think.

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ]