Webpage or Mobile Webpage

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: CPAP Machine - Just Diagnosed with Severe Sleep Apnea
Post Posted: Dec 6, 2016 12:52 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
Hi Pinecam Medicine Chest -

I need some information on CPAP machines - anything anyone can advise is welcome. What kind of machine, results, cost, brands, etc.

I have recently been diagnosed with severe sleep apnea and told to get a CPAP machine from my doctor. Unfortunately, my doctor doesn't seem to have the time to really explain to me what machine to get or where, so I'm researching on my own. Feel like I'm swimming in the dark. First, I was told by my doc office that I needed someone to come to Bailey to install it. Found out that's probably not the case. I guess wherever I decide to buy the machine, the doc office sends them an order or script. I'm paying for this out of pocket, as my insurance won't pay for it. The prices I see are anywhere from $300-$1800 online and in stores in Denver.

Thanks Medicine Chest community!

DeeDee

Post subject: Re: CPAP Machine - Just Diagnosed with Severe Sleep Apnea
Post Posted: Dec 6, 2016 1:18 pm 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
if your doctor is not invested in understanding your needs, find another doctor

http://www.sleepeducation.org/essentials-in-sleep/cpap

Post Posted: Dec 6, 2016 1:22 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Do you have insurance? It can be 'prescribed' a big provider is Apria. And they do deliver and they explain the operation and use.

Post Posted: Dec 6, 2016 2:01 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
Summitt....lincare....or if your a vet....the va....my wife actually has one and since she had gastric bypass no longer needs/uses it....could probably sell it too you....youd just need to find the right size mask....thats about the only reason they come to you....is to fit mask and explain operation of machine...could call her....303-838-5127(home)or402-469-8538(cell)....her name is Lolita....

Post Posted: Dec 6, 2016 2:02 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
My wife managed the St. Anthony Sleep Lab for 13 years, and has extensive experience with a variety of products and machines that she can help out with. She's currently working with Preferred Home Care down near Wadsworth & Hampden, but we live in Pine Junction. I'll pass on your information to her, and have her establish contact with you. In the meantime, I would recommend having your doctor prescribe the machine through Preferred Homecare's Lakewood office, if this is an option for you!

Post Posted: Dec 6, 2016 2:34 pm 
I would also think about a 2nd opinion. My dr said the same thing but then another said that he didn't agree so I quit the oxygen and have been doing fine.

Post Posted: Dec 6, 2016 2:45 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
Thank you everyone! Thanks to some great suggestions, I'm hopefully on the right track. I hope to have the machine by Thursday.

Post Posted: Dec 6, 2016 2:46 pm 
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
DeeDee - I too have severe sleep apnea as well as insomnia, so feel free to ask me anything. I've been through quite a bit with sleep problems, and I'd be happy to help in any way because I know how sleep deprivation almost destroyed my life many years ago. I've used O2 concentrators, CPAP, doxepin (liquid and tablet), Ambien, Melatonin, Tryptophan, Valerian Powder (yuck), meditation, herbal teas, Melissa/Lemon Balm, and countless OTC sleep aids.

I am currently using a Phillips Dream Station with a Resmed Mirage mask which works well for me. My CPAP setting is pretty high at 15cm/H20 making a tight mask fit is necessary and so I use strap pads which I would highly recommend if you have a high pressure setting.

CPAP.com has some pretty good deals, but always shop around. I get most of my stuff through Preferred Homecare which JustJoe mentioned, and they have been very helpful and good to work with.

Did you have a sleep study done or see a Pulmonologist? Someone will need to set your CPAP pressure as prescribed.

“No study to date has positively attributed all or part of the climate change to man–made causes”. “None of the studies cited above has shown clear evidence that we can attribute the observed climate changes to increases in greenhouse gases.”

Deleted from the final draft of "The Science of Climate Change 1995" by The United Nations’ Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change.

Post Posted: Dec 6, 2016 3:00 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
Taranis - it sounds like you've really been through it with the sleep issues - I'm so sorry, I now have some empathy. I had a sleep study done at home. The second night the alarm would constantly go off because of the apnea. My oxygen level was in the upper 70's. I had no idea why I felt so lousy all the time. I hope the CPAP machine helps.

Post Posted: Dec 6, 2016 3:45 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
CPAP is a machine that creates "Continuous Positive Air Pressure" for you.
It does so with a mask.

a) Don't get a CPAP unless you've tried one with a sleep study, and it's proven effective.
There's a variety of reasons why you might stop breathing in your sleep. Obstruction is one reason.
You know that's the issue if you do a sleep study, a technician wakes you up, and puts a CPAP on - and things
get much better.

b) There's a variety of CPAP formats - get what works for you.
The CPAP offers a variety of masks. Find one that's comfortable yet effective.
Don't feel bad about wanting to try different things.

c) Apnea might also be addressed through:
- better mattress and/or pillow
- losing weight
- changing sleeping position

I had apnea, which I beat by losing 20 pounds. I started sleeping on a firm mattress. The other thing I did is elevate the head of the bed. It made a WORLD of difference for me.

Post Posted: Dec 6, 2016 3:50 pm 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
The CPAP machine will give you a whole new life. I have what is called Central Apnea (as opposed to Obstructive), caused by (in my opinion) chemical exposure in Afghanistan. My brain short-circuits when I go to sleep and I just quit breathing. I have a bi-pap, which is like an enhanced CPAP. Instead of a constant pressure (the C in CPAP), it monitors my breathing. When I quit, it literally starts mouth-to-mouth (or mouth-to-nose) resuscitation. I was home a year and didn't believe my wife when she was saying I had issues. Then I began losing my memory, having problems at work, etc. Once I got tested and outfitted, I was amazed at how quickly life returned to normal. We tend to take sleep for granted until we lose it. I think you will be amazed at how much energy and cognitive ability you have within the first week of using this. Good luck to you...

Great peace have they who love Thy law, and nothing shall offend them... Ps 118:165

Post Posted: Dec 6, 2016 4:22 pm 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
But Durango Dude is correct. I have had my bi-pap for almost three years. I have new issues this year that cause similar symptoms, but are due to mineral deficiencies and have nothing to do with my breathing.

There are critical settings for the CPAP machine, and different types of masks. You really owe it to yourself to go to an overnight sleep clinic so you end up with the proper setup for your condition.

I went to a clinic in Woodland Park because it was a similar elevation to Burland, not down at 5,000 feet. That can have an impact as well.

Great peace have they who love Thy law, and nothing shall offend them... Ps 118:165

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next