Urgent Care Center and Emergency Room Locations
Webpage or Mobile Webpage

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Re: CPAP Machine - Just Diagnosed with Severe Sleep Apnea
Post Posted: Dec 6, 2016 4:52 pm 
Infrequent Pinecam poster
Infrequent Pinecam poster
I will echo the suggestion on having an overnight test at a clinic. During the test they will verify the cause of the apnea and determine the correct pressure setting that will keep you breathing. When my apnea was diagnosed the first step was the home overnight test and the second was an overnight at a clinic. Turned out that I would stop breathing within 90 seconds of falling asleep. Fortunately my pressure setting is low enough that I can use nose pillows instead of the full mask. I have a Phillips machine and I get supplies through Apria. I also order online from CPAP.com, specifically for tubing, because I can get just the pieces I need.

CPAP will change your life. I used to tell people that I did not dream and I was always told that I simply did not remember. But I was not staying asleep long enough to dream. Now I dream and it is wonderful.

And, IMO, if your doctor does not have the time to answer your questions you need a new doctor. Breathing is kind of important.

Post Posted: Dec 6, 2016 5:11 pm 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
Yes. As tmjbp and griz recommend: Do an overnight sleep study in a hospital where the technician will be able to get the proper setup for you. And do it in altitude similar to that where you live. My initial testing was done in Denver, but, my more recent testing was done in Frisco, thus allowing for more accurate readings.

I'm being monitored by the sleep clinic at National Jewish. Regarding supplies: I have worked with Apria, Lincare and am currently with Aerocare. Once you are set up with a well functioning machine and a mask you are comfortable with, you may want to check out C-pap.com for supplies.

Something's seriously wrong if your doctor has sent you out in this world without more direction and assistance.

Post Posted: Dec 7, 2016 9:04 am 
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
deedee884 wrote:
Taranis - it sounds like you've really been through it with the sleep issues - I'm so sorry, I now have some empathy. I had a sleep study done at home. The second night the alarm would constantly go off because of the apnea. My oxygen level was in the upper 70's. I had no idea why I felt so lousy all the time. I hope the CPAP machine helps.

My oxygen was getting down to 79%, so my Dr prescribed using an oxygen concentrator. Since then I don't wake up feeling so groggy, I have more energy, and life is much better.

I agree with the others who suggest a full overnight sleep study at a clinic. You will get a more robust evaluation of your problems and (usually) have the chance to try different masks. It takes about 40 minutes just for them to wire you up and do the baseline tests before you go to sleep, but it is worth it. Also, the place I did mine was set up just like a hotel room with a dresser, tv and nightstand, so it was fairly comfortable. I did mine over on Union by the Federal Center. The pulmonologist I saw told me about a high altitude one in Summit County, but he said they were very, very expensive. Your CPAP pressure (cm/h20) level needs to be established by the study and set by the provider.

One last thing about elevation, and this is just my experience, but I don't see much of a difference in my quality of sleep from sea level to Conifer. I just spent a week in Central America right on the ocean and I had a couple good nights and a couple not so good. My take on that is that altitude has little to no effect on the oxygen levels in my body.

I hope you're able to get this ironed out and can get back to better sleep and a better life. It can be difficult to get used to sleeping with a mask, but ultimately it is worth it.

“No study to date has positively attributed all or part of the climate change to man–made causes”. “None of the studies cited above has shown clear evidence that we can attribute the observed climate changes to increases in greenhouse gases.”

Deleted from the final draft of "The Science of Climate Change 1995" by The United Nations’ Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change.

Post Posted: Dec 7, 2016 9:09 am 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
There are many CPAPs on craigslist- if your doctor would be willing to check over and certify a used one that may be a better option. If not, there are lots of places you can buy new CPAPs on line which can be cheaper than going through Apria.

Post Posted: Dec 7, 2016 12:27 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
Never buy a used CPAP, big red flag!

Post Posted: Dec 7, 2016 7:37 pm 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
I found this interesting and informative
http://www.altitude.org/haemoglobin.php

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2