Urgent Care Center and Emergency Room Locations
desktop webpage or mobile webpage

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Torn Meniscus
Post Posted: Dec 9, 2017 8:17 am 
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
I have a torn meniscus and don't see a Dr. until Wednesday.
I was hoping to get some advice on here about other peoples experience with a torn Meniscus.
How long did it take to heal (with or without) surgery?
When were you able to start putting weight on it?
Are you still having pain?
Did you wear a splint (brace), Ace Wrap...or did you do nothing to it?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪

Post subject: Re: Torn Meniscus
Post Posted: Dec 9, 2017 10:16 am 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Hi. I had surgery because I had the unhappy triad, ACL, MCL and medial tear on impact. I've actually had it in both knees, a couple of years apart and here's what I learned from the first injury to the second.
1. If you choose to do surgery, go in with your leg(s) as strong as possible, the stronger they are to start, the faster you can go through therapy.
2. My knees only hurt when I first tore everything. After that, there wasn't pain, per se, but discomfort, and they felt "unsteady", like they could give way at anytime. I wore a stabilizing brace with hinges on my second knee, because I had it from my first surgery. The first knee I did nothing until I had surgery. My doctor told me that he couldn't believe I didn't have pain (I chalk it up to being "ice queen" ;)
3. My understanding of a meniscus tear is that it can heal on its own depending on the tear. Again, keeping the muscles that surround the knee strong is key.
4. Healing took about 6 weeks? after surgery. It was a while ago, so I can't quite recall. I was also in my early 30's when it happened and very active, so I would ride my bike to and from physical therapy. Surgeon recommended moving my knee and being mobile as soon as possible. I didn't really trust my knee on the first surgery and didn't move it around. A few months later I had to have a "clean out" surgery to get rid of scar tissue. On the second knee I started mobility the day after surgery and didn't have the same scar tissue problem.

Forgot to mention that I went to acupuncture for one of the injuries because my knee was quite swollen. It helped alleviate the swelling.

I am only relaying my experience, so take it for what it's worth. The exercises that I remember were, sitting in a chair, raising leg and tightening the quads - hold, release, repeat. Stationery bicycle was a big one, (although I went out on my mountain bike - not on trails, just on roads). After surgery, there was a lot of flexibility exercises.

Good luck!

Post Posted: Dec 9, 2017 10:54 am 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
I have had arthroscopic surgery my right knee twice and my left knee once, all for meniscus tears. With my first right knee tear, I waited, enduring the pain, until I had weakened both legs. Within a year, I had a tear in my left knee because of it's weakened condition - and had the surgery ASAP. Same with the second tear in my right knee, I had the surgery as soon as I could.

I am terrified of the medical community and will do most anything to not have surgery. But the arthroscopic surgery is so quick with little recovery time, that I did not wait on my second and third meniscus tears. The relief is immediate and full. The pain from the surgeries was small compared to the pain of a meniscus tear. I was walking, with a crutch, the same day.

The holes used in arthroscopic surgery are very small and mine healed quickly with minimal scaring. In each surgery, the doctor also "vacummed" out loose pieces of stuff that we accumulate over the years in our joints. This made a difference in the feel of the knee and, I think, in how long it's taken me to develop the arthritis that all doctors predicted I would have here in later life.

I agree with girl-living-life on having your leg as fit as possible. After each of my arthroscopic surgeries, I used ankle weights to help my knee heal and to build my leg muscles back up.

Good luck with any decision you make, I'm sure you can find relief.

Post Posted: Dec 9, 2017 2:32 pm 
Thanks for sharing your experiences. I have a question though, you talk about strengthening your leg before surgery, how were you able to do that when you were in pain?

₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪

Post Posted: Dec 9, 2017 4:34 pm 
I exercised my knee prior to surgery even though using the weights hurt. And I mean hurt. In all cases my torn meniscus was caught in a muscle or ligament and that really, really hurt. Also, in one case, my second right knee, I developed a big bump behind my knee that the doctor said was caused by the torn meniscus.

That's why I didn't wait for my second and third arthroscopic surgery - the longer you wait, the more you favor that painful knee, and the more strain you put on your other knee and leg. And the more you lose conditioning in your legs. As least, this is my opinion.

Post Posted: Dec 9, 2017 7:23 pm 
I would ask your surgeon what he/she recommends you do prior to surgery given your particular case.

If you have a pet you wish to add to the Rainbow Bridge Site, please either post in the Pet Forum Rainbow Bridge Page viewtopic.php?f=85&t=78851 or PM me with pet names you would like them added. If you have others already there, please give me their names so I can add your pet with them.

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ]