Urgent Care Center and Emergency Room Locations
desktop webpage or mobile webpage

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Durango (Wheeling) Dude vs angry neck
Post Posted: Jan 22, 2018 11:28 am 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
For about 5 years, my neck and I have had philosophical differences.

It finally took over by numbing my elbow and index finger ----- shutting down my
ability to seduce women with a guitar ----- so I had to do something ----- I know --- I'll call
a doctor. Hey doc ---- something's wrong with my arm ---- I can't play guitar and seduce women any more.
Yes, doc --- I could play guitar previously ----- no doc, it's not ED ----- it's my arm --- and actually - I suspect -
my neck.

Doc says "come on in." INsurance company says "What's the symptoms?" Doc explains and kindly leaves out the part about women, since that's not covered by my insurance. Insurance says go directly to PT, do not pass go. Oh crap. Okay - 2 months of PT, I can only say the therapist knows how to induce nausea, and hasn't done squat for my nerve pain. Massage therapist, on the other hand, can use pressure point therapy to find the source ----- and it is indeed, my neck.

I go back and tell doc what therapist said - but she's not a doc, so he orders x-ray. Hmmm - nothing there ----- uh doc - the problem is very likely a herniated disc ----- back to insurance - permission to get MRI. Great ------ problem is -- I can't lay flat for a half hour --- it hurts like the underworld. Okay - here try some valium. Well - valium made me feel wonderful - but it still hurt like heck (no go). Okay - valium plus hydrocodone. well ----- yeah - that worked.
Oh my lookie here ------ dude, you have a herniated disc! (thank you lord!)

Insurance says "try PT" oh crap....... okay - 1 month of PT ----- and no go ---- it hurts. Try cortisone....... Man, that hurts, and it doesn't help. Okay - maybe surgery is okay.

This took 6 frickin months...... but I finally found my way to the OR with a decent neurosurgeon.
Anterior discectomy ----- the neurosurgeon's version of tonsillectomy.

I have one complaint though ----- all the post-op nurses were male! Yeah, I know ----- I'm supposed to REST
lacking a female image, rest certainly happens.

I'm hiding away right now in northern WV. Perhaps I can go by wheeler dealer, now.

Post subject: Re: Durango (Wheeling) Dude vs angry neck
Post Posted: Jan 22, 2018 12:07 pm 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
Durango Dude wrote:
I'm hiding away right now in northern WV. Perhaps I can go by wheeler dealer, now.

We had six inches of snow. You can come here and drive mine. :hugegrin:

Mountain folk see the mountains when they drive.
City folk who live in the mountains only see the bumper of the car in front of them.

Post Posted: Jan 23, 2018 10:14 am 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
you made a horrible story funny. it must be the pain meds. Did they also fuse the bones when they removed the disc? how long for recovery?
hope you feel better once this is all over

If you have a pet you wish to add to the Rainbow Bridge Site, please either post in the Pet Forum Rainbow Bridge Page viewtopic.php?f=85&t=78851 or PM me with pet names you would like them added. If you have others already there, please give me their names so I can add your pet with them.

Post Posted: Jan 23, 2018 3:10 pm 
Scanner Monitor
Scanner Monitor
That's just what I was thinking. :yeah that:

Post Posted: Jan 24, 2018 8:56 am 
Durango Dude wrote:

Insurance says "try PT" oh crap....... okay - 1 month of PT ----- and no go ---- it hurts. Try cortisone....... Man, that hurts, and it doesn't help. Okay - maybe surgery is okay.

This took 6 frickin months...... but I finally found my way to the OR with a decent neurosurgeon.

You did relay your ordeal with humor Durango Dude, good that you can think of it that way. But your post shows that latest way insurance companies are trying to save money - sometimes at the expense of the person being able to live a normal life without pain.

I have a friend who has been in agony with her shoulder for over a year. Her doctor insisted she try physical therapy for 8 months as well as the cortisone shots. This did not work and she has been miserable. Finally this month, the doctor OKed surgery.

Now I agree, unnecessary surgery is not good and expecting any and all surgeries to fix any and all problems is not good. But, expecting physical therapy to correct some conditions, especially after a month or so, is also not good. Suffering with pain takes over ones life.

What's the solution? I don't really know.

Post Posted: Jan 24, 2018 12:50 pm 
with my orthopaedic surgeon, the standard routine is a cortisone shot and wait 6 weeks or a shot and PT before surgery is considered. i think that is prudent way to proceed.

The insurance companies most likely have a protocol to follow as well. If it is not clear that the claim is a continuation and not a new claim, then they start from scratch. It is up to us and our doctor to clarify if there is misunderstanding.

so far, I have been fortunate with both doctors and insurance.

If you have a pet you wish to add to the Rainbow Bridge Site, please either post in the Pet Forum Rainbow Bridge Page viewtopic.php?f=85&t=78851 or PM me with pet names you would like them added. If you have others already there, please give me their names so I can add your pet with them.

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ]