Urgent Care Center and Emergency Room Locations
desktop webpage or mobile webpage

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: I need a reasonable priced dentist
Post Posted: May 5, 2018 1:11 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Does anyone know of a reasonably priced dentist? (not in the Conifer area). All of the dentists in the Conifer area are way over priced. My old dentist charged $435.for a root canal and crown just last year, but he has retired. All of the dentists I have called up here want $1200 up for the same service. Please PM answer or email to ferdnand_ohast@yahoo.com. Thanks

Post subject: Re: I need a reasonable priced dentist
Post Posted: May 6, 2018 7:33 am 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
I despise dentists. They're all in it for the money IMO.

You may want to look into becoming a patient at University of Colorado Dental School. You'll get a discount for being one of their lab rats. A dental school student will work on your teeth under the supervision of faculty.

See http://www.ucdenver.edu/academics/colle ... tient.aspx

Post Posted: May 6, 2018 2:51 pm 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
No wonder they retired, that sounds like prices 20-30 years ago! $1200 for a root canal and crown seems extremely reasonable imo.

Dental insurance should only be about $50/mo for one person and should cover one big event like that a year.

I don't think your teeth are something you want a student experimenting on even with supervision... Personally I would have to be paid big bucks to mess around in people's mouths all day too, if a dentist is not in it for the money (or to help people) they are probably a sadist!

Post Posted: May 6, 2018 3:10 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
WoodRat: Typically dental insurance only covers 50% of the allowed charge..... so if the Crown is $1000, the plan will pay $500. The balance is owed by the patient. Yes dental insurance premium is about $50-$60 a month. However, there are "wait" periods for new enrollees; i.e., you cannot buy dental insurance effective 6.1 and expect to have major dental (i.e./ Root Canal, Crowns, Implants.) covered. Dental insurance is a great fringe benefit if your employer provides it. Not so great, if you pay for the dental insurance. FYI, I am an insurance broker...I don't sell individual/family dental insurance plans. Too many contract provisions that limit the payout, especially in the first year or two of the contract. And if you are quoted $15-$25 per month, it is for dental care in the carrier network, such as Comfort Dental. I don't have a problem with Comfort Dental, but just understand what you are buying.

Post Posted: May 6, 2018 4:51 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Just so you know, that old dentist of mine who just retired lives in Cherry Hills Village. He told me that most dentists try to charge all the market will bear+, and it becomes a race to see who can get their prices up the highest and not to compete against each other. Among other things he was a Colonel in the Air Force. He said he made many enemies in his own profession by charging what he thought was a reasonable price. He never got sued for anything and several hundred people (mostly former patients) came to his retirement party. I went to him for almost 30 years except for the times he was deployed.
If you think about it a root canal takes about 2 hours (dentist and assistant) the new crowns are made using a system of cad controlled cameras a 3d printer to make the mold and then a casting. At $1250.per tooth that comes down to around $312.50 per hour per "man hour" less what the crown actually costs. Even a physician does not get that much money. Since I am retired now dental insurance is out. I take as good care of my teeth as possible and I get them cleaned once a year. I had one pulled up here and a cleaning and they charged me almost $500. just for those two things.

Post Posted: May 6, 2018 5:22 pm 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
I go all the way to Canon City, not only is he nice and great at what he does.
His rates are amazing. Lot of people make the drive, just because of the affordability.
Gregory Micheli D.D.S. 719-275-7740, good luck.

Post Posted: May 7, 2018 6:59 am 
Infrequent Pinecam poster
Infrequent Pinecam poster
Overhead in a typical dental office is usually between 60 to 80%. There is a cost of about $400,000
to open a well equipped office. Dental fees are in the middle range of general costs to the public
for all services.Look elsewhere to complain about costs.....

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ]