Urgent Care Center and Emergency Room Locations
desktop webpage or mobile webpage

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Gastric Bypass Surgery
Post Posted: May 25, 2018 1:34 pm 
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
I'm debating gastric bypass surgery and would like input on its success or downfall. Please PM me if you want to keep it private.

₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪

Post subject: Re: Gastric Bypass Surgery
Post Posted: May 25, 2018 2:05 pm 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
we had a a guy working here that had it done and he's had issues with maintaining balance of (I forgot what the items were) ______ that caused his memory to no longer work as well as not being able to swallow, so eating was difficult.

https://www.bariatric-surgery-source.co ... fects.html

If you have a pet you wish to add to the Rainbow Bridge Site, please either post in the Pet Forum Rainbow Bridge Page viewtopic.php?f=85&t=78851 or PM me with pet names you would like them added. If you have others already there, please give me their names so I can add your pet with them.

Post Posted: May 25, 2018 9:36 pm 
Thanks for the reply Angela, I've heard nothing but bad things about it. I have yet to find someone who's happy with the procedure. That's why I was asking about it. My Dr keeps wanting me to have it but I think I'll just try to lose more weight with my husband. Thanks for the info

Post Posted: May 26, 2018 7:20 am 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
I know many people who have achieved significant weight loss with gastric bypass surgery bringing significant health improvements. They remain happy with their choice for surgery. However, it is major surgery requiring an understanding of the benefits and risks for you as an individual.

If you can lose even 5-10% of your current weight you will mitigate many of the health harms associated with morbid obesity. I wish it was not so difficult for so many to achieve even this. Bariatric surgery is an effective option for those who cannot lose weight even with their best efforts.

Post Posted: May 26, 2018 8:34 am 
I would also talk with other doctors. Check your thyroid levels, too

If you have a pet you wish to add to the Rainbow Bridge Site, please either post in the Pet Forum Rainbow Bridge Page viewtopic.php?f=85&t=78851 or PM me with pet names you would like them added. If you have others already there, please give me their names so I can add your pet with them.

Post Posted: May 26, 2018 12:45 pm 
Infrequent Pinecam poster
I have had Gastric Bypass and could not be happier with my choice.
I have my life back and feel incredibly blessed every day.

Post Posted: May 26, 2018 1:12 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Check out the sleeve. It has fewer complications and may be the right surgery for you. Bypass is fairly invasive compared to the other surgeries. See a Bariatric doctor with a good history and reviews to find out which surgery is best for you. Whatever direction you take, my thoughts are with you. I am there and need it done too but have to wait due to other issues.
If you are on Facebook, join the "Gastric Sleeve and Bariatric Surgery Support Group" the members are very informative and supportive.

Post Posted: May 26, 2018 3:22 pm 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
I agree with Angela. Any surgery is so intrusive to our bodies, so I say avoid unless it is absolutely necessary.

If you are able to lose weight on your own, you will be so much more healthier and not only that something to be hugely proud of. What works for me is to avoid any processed food as much as possible. Processed food will put weight on every time even when I'm eating just a little of it even the all natural processed food, because those ingredients that we can not pronounce or understand get us. Never eat anything after 8pm or at least 4-5 hours before going to bed. Eat as much veggies, fruit, nuts, make your own smoothies and fish as your main dishes. Take your portion of your plate, split it in half and put it in the frig. Wait an hour, if you still want it, then eat it, otherwise save it for the next day. In other words, eat less at each meal, it will make a huge difference. When you think you are hungry, get yourself busy with something you enjoy doing and you will see you are not really hungry.

If you go ahead with the surgery, please, please research like crazy who is the best surgeon for this particular surgery, check reviews like you have never done before. And definitely listen to what danceswithhorses says in regards to the support group, people with experience are the answer for knowing as much as you can about this surgery and who the best surgeon is and what is the best place to have the surgery, since the staff, nurses, etc are also very important.
Good luck bdogsgal, I hope you find the right answer for you and things go very healthy for you.

Post Posted: May 26, 2018 4:27 pm 
danceswithhorses wrote:
Check out the sleeve. It has fewer complications and may be the right surgery for you. Bypass is fairly invasive compared to the other surgeries. See a Bariatric doctor with a good history and reviews to find out which surgery is best for you. Whatever direction you take, my thoughts are with you. I am there and need it done too but have to wait due to other issues.
If you are on Facebook, join the "Gastric Sleeve and Bariatric Surgery Support Group" the members are very informative and supportive.

I have the option to go with the sleeve but the Bariatric Dr. is recommending the bypass because it should get rid of my diabetes and other things.

Post Posted: May 26, 2018 4:33 pm 
gia58 wrote:
I agree with Angela. Any surgery is so intrusive to our bodies, so I say avoid unless it is absolutely necessary.

If you are able to lose weight on your own, you will be so much more healthier and not only that something to be hugely proud of. What works for me is to avoid any processed food as much as possible. Processed food will put weight on every time even when I'm eating just a little of it even the all natural processed food, because those ingredients that we can not pronounce or understand get us. Never eat anything after 8pm or at least 4-5 hours before going to bed. Eat as much veggies, fruit, nuts, make your own smoothies and fish as your main dishes. Take your portion of your plate, split it in half and put it in the frig. Wait an hour, if you still want it, then eat it, otherwise save it for the next day. In other words, eat less at each meal, it will make a huge difference. When you think you are hungry, get yourself busy with something you enjoy doing and you will see you are not really hungry.

If you go ahead with the surgery, please, please research like crazy who is the best surgeon for this particular surgery, check reviews like you have never done before. And definitely listen to what danceswithhorses says in regards to the support group, people with experience are the answer for knowing as much as you can about this surgery and who the best surgeon is and what is the best place to have the surgery, since the staff, nurses, etc are also very important.
Good luck bdogsgal, I hope you find the right answer for you and things go very healthy for you.

I already eat like a bird...it's just that I eat the wrong things plus, I have raw food allergies. I can eat banana's but they have to be cooked first like banana bread. Very discouraging because I love fruit. I have a lot of issues to work around. Thanks for your tips

Post Posted: May 28, 2018 2:27 pm 
I would personally get a few opinions on the matter and become well-educated on the risk to benefit ratio. I've known people who have had good success with it and others who did not. I would be wary of 'Dumping Syndrome' and vitamins/ mineral deficiencies. Best of luck!

Post Posted: May 29, 2018 9:09 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Bariatric surgery is oftentimes a short term fix to a long term problem. Not only do you have to factor in all the risks from the surgery itself ( as others have pointed out), there is no guarantee of success with this surgery. Many who have had the surgery have, over time, gone back to their same eating habits and simply "stretch" the pouch. Your weight will creep back up to where it was. As others have also pointed out, the only lasting measure of success is a complete change of diet. NO processed foods. When in the grocery store, shop the perimeters of the store, not what is in the aisles. Major message in that. There is ALWAYS a risk with any surgery and after being an ICU and surgical nurse for many many years, I can't say enough how serious it is to consider ANY elective surgery. There is a life threatening risk to any procedure, even elective ones.

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next