Urgent Care Center and Emergency Room Locations
desktop webpage or mobile webpage

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Medical results or failure to provide them
Post Posted: May 30, 2018 11:21 am 
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
I have learned to be an advocate for my health, and for others as well. But I think there are times that you need to fight really hard to even get medical test results.

A few weeks ago I was shopping at Safeway and having had a stomach virus that made me unable to eat or hydrate for about five days, I fell and had an apparent seizure. The Safeway staff were incredible and hey, I was already a shopper for life but they clinched the deal. Manager Patch and the pharmacy manager were just incredible. I’m sure they were as scared as I was but I want to express my appreciation.

Long story short, I was referred for an EEG at St Joseph Hospital. This was an intrusive procedure. Went and did, technicians were great. A friend drove me out and back. Interrupted her day. Was supposed to hear results a week ago. Now, almost two weeks since test. Called to inquire and also called my PCP. She had not heard anything. I could not get anyone to answer the phone at St Joe’s, called my PCP three times today.

I know this is a rant, but you need to keep after things. Maybe I have a brain tumor and no one has time to call me back. I have called many times, probably 40, have been bounced around from department to department where people turn their phones off, don’t take voicemail, no way to speak to an actual human. Such a fraud.

Post subject: Re: Medical results or failure to provide them
Post Posted: May 30, 2018 11:33 am 
Scanner Monitor
Scanner Monitor
I know exactly what you're talking about! We've run into that several times. After much fretting, I usually conclude that if anything was really wrong, they would have contacted us right away. It's maddening, though.

Sorry you had such a problem! Five days is a long time to go without adequate food or hydration. 8O

I may not have gone where I intended to go
but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Post Posted: May 30, 2018 11:44 am 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Have you checked your tests and chart online? I have been in St Joe's many times because I see a cardiologist and pulmonologist at National Jewish and that is the hospital they use. I signed up for online patient portal and every thing is listed in there. I've printed out test results to bring with me to the doctor. I've read results myself. When you went into the hospital they should have given you a pamphlet showing how to sign up.

Post Posted: May 30, 2018 12:20 pm 
Make your next call to the
Patient Advocate at the hospital.
And always always request at time of test, so you sign the release up front, that the written test report be
Sent to you as well as to the requesting doc.

Post Posted: May 30, 2018 1:08 pm 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
I am sorry to hear this, J ♥

I hope that you are OK.

If you have a pet you wish to add to the Rainbow Bridge Site, please either post in the Pet Forum Rainbow Bridge Page viewtopic.php?f=85&t=78851 or PM me with pet names you would like them added. If you have others already there, please give me their names so I can add your pet with them.

Post Posted: May 30, 2018 1:48 pm 
Whew. I have called the patient advocate so many times I think I have her home phone. My Dr is amazing. She finally got the info she needed snd called me back right away. Not such good news but I am ok. I can still drive, they have prescribed some meds, hopefully will not have too many side effects.

Post Posted: May 30, 2018 2:07 pm 
I was in the store that day...prayed you would be o.k.
I am sorry the advocate failed to do her job!!!

Post Posted: May 30, 2018 2:18 pm 
mummydog wrote:

A few weeks ago I was shopping at Safeway and having had a stomach virus that made me unable to eat or hydrate for about five days, I fell and had an apparent seizure. The Safeway staff were incredible and hey, I was already a shopper for life but they clinched the deal. Manager Patch and the pharmacy manager were just incredible. I’m sure they were as scared as I was but I want to express my appreciation.

I am so glad they helped you like that. Several years back when my dad was alive we went shopping at the EVG Walmart. My father went his own way and I went my own. When I was done, I looked for him down every isle and couldn't find him. I was on my way to customer service to have him paged and that's when I found him on a bench outside the bathrooms, which was right in eyesight of customer service. He was sitting there with vomit all over himself and he was out of it. I took him to the hospital and he was having a stroke, his bp was barely there. I just can't believe they didn't page me or call 911, I was so irate. I didn't do anything about it at the time because I was overwhelmed with taking care of my ailing dad and I didn't need the extra aggravation. That was about 20 years ago and I still get sick in my gut over it. My poor dad sitting on the bench like that and not a soul would stop and help him.

mummydog wrote:
Long story short, I was referred for an EEG at St Joseph Hospital. This was an intrusive procedure. Went and did, technicians were great. A friend drove me out and back. Interrupted her day. Was supposed to hear results a week ago. Now, almost two weeks since test. Called to inquire and also called my PCP. She had not heard anything. I could not get anyone to answer the phone at St Joe’s, called my PCP three times today.
I've had the same problems before so I started joining up with all the patient portals, no matter what Dr or Hospital I go to...I even have a portal with Labcorp. Doing this has made a huge change on getting results. Although, now my problem is getting all the Dr's to cooperate and share requested medical info with each other. That can also give you the runaround.
I hope things work out for you.[/quote]

₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪

Post Posted: May 30, 2018 4:14 pm 
Bdogsgal, this breaks my heart to hear. Your Dad deserved so much better. My husband suffered a stroke while driving toward a Home Depot in Littleton. I knew it was bad as he argued with me while driving. The staff there at Home Depot were just wonderful.

I am hoping for your return to good health. Hugs!

Post Posted: May 30, 2018 6:52 pm 
Im really sorry you were sick to the point of complications! Not having the answers you need in a timely manner is very frustrating on top of everything else. But I know you are on the mend cos this post is pretty feisty! :love:

Last edited by JMiller on May 30, 2018 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: May 30, 2018 7:46 pm 
Scanner Monitor
Scanner Monitor
Please tell us how we can help.

I may not have gone where I intended to go
but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Post Posted: May 31, 2018 10:50 am 
So far, no issues. I was out chopping wood and stacking the pile and cleaning the garden. Still feisty as Jo says. I think we all need to watch the medical folks. My PCP is wonderful but some others not so much. Everyone please take care!

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next