Urgent Care Center and Emergency Room Locations
desktop webpage or mobile webpage

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Neck surgery questions
Post Posted: Dec 12, 2018 12:06 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Has anybody had major, successful neck surgery? For something like spondylitic myelopathy? Had several levels fused, where they have to make entry through both the back of the neck and the front?

Wondering what doctors were involved, how miserable the recovery was and what the results were. Feel free to PM if you would like.

Thanks much for any response.

Post subject: Re: Neck surgery questions
Post Posted: Dec 12, 2018 12:43 pm 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
My wife has had numerous spinal fusions from two different neurosurgeons and this is the doctor she prefers.

https://www.vitals.com/doctors/Dr_Chad_Prusmack.html

One thing to note - "Specialize mainly in all minimally invasive surgical procedures, do over 400 cases per year. Primary neurosurgical consultant for the Denver Broncos and UFC and have an interest in sports injury."

Mountain folk see the mountains when they drive.
City folk who live in the mountains only see the bumper of the car in front of them.

Post Posted: Dec 12, 2018 12:50 pm 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
Another endorsement for Chad Prusmack. He found an anomaly in my back that less than 1% of the population have. Of those individuals, less than 1% ever have a problem with it. He was very excited to treat a condition he had only ever read about. The surgery took 5+ hours and was a HUGE success. Before the surgery, I couldn't walk more than a few feet at a time and I couldn't stand for more than a few seconds. Now, I truly can't tell anything was ever wrong.

Post Posted: Dec 12, 2018 2:05 pm 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
Bobcat wrote:
My wife has had numerous spinal fusions from two different neurosurgeons and this is the doctor she prefers.

https://www.vitals.com/doctors/Dr_Chad_Prusmack.html

One thing to note - "Specialize mainly in all minimally invasive surgical procedures, do over 400 cases per year. Primary neurosurgical consultant for the Denver Broncos and UFC and have an interest in sports injury."

I can wholeheartedly endorse Dr. Chad Prusmack!
About 10 years ago I was riding my ATV up in the woods and just "putzing" along slowly when I hit a "dip" and got a clear message from my neck that all was not well.
After researching alternatives it was made plain to me that I needed a spinal fusion and ridgewalker related her experience as posted above.

Dr. Prusmack did a "four level" fusion (C-3 to C-7) on my neck going through from the front.
Scary - YES!
Did it work?
OMG YES!
I spent one night in Sky Ridge Hospital and was home with amazingly little pain.
I don't think I had to use any heavy duty pain meds for more than a very few days.
I am still going strong to this day and only after effect is that I no longer sing in the choir!

As far as I know, Dr. Prusmack does NOT take Medicare.
His affiliated practice partners DO and use his "minimally invasive" techniques where possible.
I recommend a consultation with him along with and examination of your MRI images for a realistic diagnosis.

Highly recommended!
BGR

Post Posted: Dec 13, 2018 12:01 am 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Appreciate the info. Good to hear some success stories. My husband has severe spinal stenosis in his lower spine (among other problems there) and this recently discovered problem in his neck. They are talking extensive fusion of the whole neck, possibly from C1-T2 or 3. Entry from both front and rear of the neck, long and complicated recovery. Sounds like the minimum area would still be c3-c7 and this leaves above and below with known issues. This to be followed by extensive fusion of the lumbar spine (which we already knew was needed).

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ]