Urgent Care Center and Emergency Room Locations
desktop webpage or mobile webpage

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Tinnitus
Post Posted: Jan 31, 2019 8:58 am 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
Has anyone have/had Tinnitus? If so, was it treated? How was it treated? Was treatment successful? Mine seems to be growing worse. Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Tinnitus
Post Posted: Jan 31, 2019 9:29 am 
Infrequent Pinecam poster
I have Tinnitus and from what I understand it isn't curable. Some people use hearing aids that have a special program in them that basically puts out another sound that is more appealing, in other words, white noise of some type. I have hearing aids due to hearing loss and they have the special program in them but it didn't work for me.
As far as getting worse my Tinnitus has been getting worse ever since I was diagnosed. I suspect that it will continue to do so for the rest of my life.
Good luck, and if you find some "cure" please let me know.

Post Posted: Jan 31, 2019 10:52 am 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
I have had Tinnitus in my left ear for over 20 years now. I also believe is it incurable and something you just learn to live with. For me, is the side effects more than the actual ringing that's the most bothersome.

I have trouble with background noise when conversing with others in crowds or public areas. You just get used to positioning yourself to use your "good" ear when talking. If I sleep on my right side I sometimes cannot hear anything including the alarm clock. I don't think this hearing loss is directly attributed to the tinnitus but it was probably caused by the same thing- I used to wear a single earphone with noise coming through it for hours at a time.

The actual ringing in my ear is something that I'm not aware of most of the time, unless I start to actually concentrate on it. I guess I've become used to it after all these years.

Blessings,

Proverbs 27:19

Post Posted: Jan 31, 2019 11:00 am 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
I have lived with Tinnitus for at least 30 years now. I have pretty much gotten used to it, although like you it seems to be getting a bit worse the past couple years or so (I am 65 now), especially when I have some sort of sinus issue. Most of the time I don't even notice it, except for times (like now) when someone or something reminds me that I have it. I know I have lost high-frequency hearing as a result (or maybe in conjunction with it), but as of yet I don't think it is debilitating. In short … it is not loud or annoying enough for me to want to do anything about it as yet.

I have noticed occasional local ads on TV from a doctor in Denver who claims that there are things that can be done, but I have no knowledge about what they could be. I do not remember the name, but if I see it again I'll try to remember to make a note.

Post Posted: Jan 31, 2019 11:27 am 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
I started with tinnitus in December 2017 and went to University of Colorado Health Hearing and Balance Center in January. Tinnitus can be caused by too much wax in the ear but that's rare. After several tests, the doctor said there is no cure for tinnitus. Sometimes, tinnitus goes away but after 6 months with it, that's not going to happen.

I also saw a technician to get some possible relief from the distracting noise such as using background sounds (running water, wind in trees). If you can find one with the right tones and pitches that overrides your tinnitus, it works really well at night.

The technician also said alcohol worsens tinnitus in some people.

For several months, my tinnitus destroyed my ability to concentrate, I couldn't even read a book. But I have learned to ignore it mostly and just live with it. If I think about it, like now, I can hear it and it's much worse at night. But, again I have learned to mostly ignore it and let it be part of my environment.

I do miss silence.

Post Posted: Jan 31, 2019 11:30 am 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
It's Sound Relief Hearing and like NZ1975 said it's hearing aids that have a program (sort of a white sound - my husband's is bells) that he listens to for about 3 hours and then turns it off and uses his hearing aids for the rest of the day. Their program is expensive (maybe $6500/$7500) and Medicare does not pay! He has used it consistently for 2 years and it has worked for him. It does not cure the tinnitus - there is no cure. Their theory is to distract the brain so it does not concentrate on the tinnitus and somehow it calms down. So for my husband instead of having a high pitched tea kettle, he still has the tea kettle but it is lower so not as annoying to him. It doesn't work for everyone but he has had success. I heard what he hears at their office and I burst into tears - can't imagine living with that. Empathy to you all.

Post Posted: Jan 31, 2019 11:39 am 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
I bet you’re thinking of the commercial by Dr. Julie Prutsman and her Sound Relief Hearing Center. 720-545-9630 or Soundrelief.com.
Way back, “real men” didn’t wear hearing protection and working in steel mills, deep mines, running chainsaws, shooting, etc. without it was just a thing of life. I’ve had tinnitus for over 40 years and have learned to ignore it most of the time, but lately it is getting a little worse.
From all that I know there isn’t a real cure, even with drugs.

"Its easy to go down into hell; night and day the gates of dark death stand wide; but to climb back up again; to retrace one's steps to the open air, there lies the problem, the difficult task, ..." Virgil: The Aeneid

Post Posted: Jan 31, 2019 12:09 pm 
https://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/und ... -treatment

Your posts got me curious about tinnitus. I can only imagine how annoying and frustrating it can be to have this problem. I did a little research and found this article. (It is current and from a reputable source). Apparently there are a few medications that may help.... I hope this may he useful to some.

Post Posted: Jan 31, 2019 8:46 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
I battle with tinnitus from time to time. It comes and goes for me. I'm only in my mid thirties - but I've been a professional firefighter/paramedic for 15 years (sirens, extrication equipment, chainsaws etc..) When the ringing gets to the point where I can't sleep, I use a fairly powerful fan in my bedroom to drown out the ringing. In the winter, I use a heater that oscillates and has a built in fan. It really helps. I don't have it too bad though, so I'm not sure if it will help with more advanced cases.

Post Posted: Jan 31, 2019 9:13 pm 
I have so many different sounds going in my ears, it is a wonder I can hear anything else, but I can. I am just used to it. I blame all those Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, etc concerts in the 70's. But then I don't know if the damage I did to my ears has anything to do with it.

If you have a pet you wish to add to the Rainbow Bridge Site, please either post in the Pet Forum Rainbow Bridge Page viewtopic.php?f=85&t=78851 or PM me with pet names you would like them added. If you have others already there, please give me their names so I can add your pet with them.

Post Posted: Jan 31, 2019 9:16 pm 
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Prolific Pinecam Poster
I have it, it showed up in 1992, about the time I moved to Bailey. At the time I blamed it on the change in altitude, but I'm sure it had more to do with electric guitar, headphones, and shooting guns.

I tried hearing aids, but they really didn't work for me. Maybe it's time to try them again 20 years later? Volume isn't a problem, it is the clarity, everything is kinda fuzzy sounding when mixed with the hiss, noise, ringing, etc.

I have learned to live with it, and as long as I can see the person's mouth when they talk, it is no big deal. Telephone calls, especially in a noisy environment, are a beotch. As for it getting worse, well, ask my wife.

It has, in a way, lead me to cw (morse code) in amateur radio. I have found a perfect monotone frequency for me, and it is so much easier to hear dits and dahs than a person's voice.

Good luck!

Post Posted: Jan 31, 2019 9:34 pm 
New Poster
My wife's audiologist asked if she used a lot of aspirin, because it can contribute to tinnitus. She had to stop using aspirin for other reasons, but the tinnitus went away almost completely.

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next