Urgent Care Center and Emergency Room Locations
desktop webpage or mobile webpage

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: new shingles vaccine
Post Posted: Feb 7, 2019 12:34 pm 
Infrequent Pinecam poster
Infrequent Pinecam poster
A new shingles vaccine called, Shingrix has been developed and is reported to be 90% effective at preventing shingles. The previous shingles vaccine, the older one, is called Zostavax. It is not as effective as Shingrix and is no longer the recommended vaccine. If you have had shingles, have had the older vaccine, and if you are a healthy adult age 50+ it is recommended that you get the new shingles vaccine. If you have a health condition or allergy that you are concerned about, talk with your medical provider about whether or not you should get the Shingrix vaccine. The Shingrix vaccine is administered via injection by a health care provider or a pharmacist. The vaccine is given in two separate doses, 2-6 months apart. I called King Soopers Pharmacy in Conifer and was told that they had the vaccine but have run out. They encourage you to call first. If you want to get the vaccine at your doctor's office, call them first to make sure they have it in stock, as the vaccine serum has been tough to obtain. The private-pay cost at King Soopers is $175.00 per injection--$350 total for both injections. Most Medicare Part D plans and commercial insurance companies will likely cover the cost of the two vaccine injections, but call your insurance company to make sure. For more information about Shingrix, you can visit this CDC site.
https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/shingles/public/shingrix/index.html

Post subject: Re: new shingles vaccine
Post Posted: Feb 7, 2019 1:25 pm 
Scanner Monitor
Scanner Monitor
First hand experience:

1. The supply is extremely limited, we tried for 5 months to get it (first come basis) and it was never available. We tried Wallgreens, CVS, Safeway, King Soopers, multiple locations. I finally got my 1st shot last week (from King Soopers up here, they had received only two doses for the week. They do hold the second dose in your name so it will be available for you in the allocated time frame (2 to 6 months with 2 months being recommended for best protection).

2. It is NOT covered by Medicare or United Health Care Advantage plan so the cost is 176.00 per dose.

3. It is common for people to have a reaction to the second shot... symptoms are like a flu but only last 24 hours or so. This tidbit was from the pharmacist who said not a good idea to plan any event on the day of the second shot.

4. The shot hurts more then the flu shot, sore arm for two days after.

BTW: We both had the Zostavax shot a couple of years ago. My wife got shingles last August and was totally miserable for over three months and still has some side effects. NOT to be trifled with, eh?
--------------------------------------------------

Post Posted: Feb 7, 2019 3:22 pm 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
My husband had shingles. It was very painful and left scars where the biggest lesions were. Trust me, you don't want to get shingles.

We switched to Aetna this year so I called them to see what coverage we have. Aetna does cover Shingrix as a tier 3 drug. If you have not met your deductible, the cost per shot is $147 and if you've met your deductible, it's $47 dollars. According to Aetna, the shot must be at a pharmacy, not a doctor's office, for Part D coverage.

From Medicare:

Quote:
Medicare Part A (Hospital Insurance) or Medicare Part B (Medical Insurance) don't cover the shingles shot.

Generally, Medicare prescription drug plans (Part D) cover all commercially available vaccines (like the shingles shot) needed to prevent illness. Contact your Medicare drug plan for more information about coverage.

More information on Shingrix from Consumer Reports.

Post Posted: Feb 7, 2019 3:58 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
When I checked at Safeway about 3 weeks ago, the waiting list was enormous … many pages long. I decided to wait a while to see if the supply issues get resolved. However, TillerBee's news concerns me, because I've been hoping the old shot would do me for a while; might be time to re-think my strategy.

Post Posted: Feb 7, 2019 7:00 pm 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
RE the enormous waiting list at Safeway (And, I imagine, other places too). Yes. About a month ago, I was told to expect a 6 month wait.

Post Posted: Feb 8, 2019 12:05 am 
Scanner Monitor
Scanner Monitor
Now I understand what my doctor meant when she said she would put me on their "list". And Medicare will not cover it?

It's kind of fun to do the impossible.

Be compassionate, understanding and kind. You never know who is
this close to giving up.

Post Posted: Feb 8, 2019 8:51 am 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
Dr. Weber (Conifer Medical), told me only one company is producing the new shingles vaccination. Why???? Hubby was able to get it, and the second shot absolutely floored him. He had very severe flu like symptoms; but as a previous poster said, it only lasted 24 hours. My dad had shingles, and sister in law. It was miserable for both of them. In fact, I have never heard of a mild case of shingles.

Post Posted: Feb 8, 2019 10:56 am 
Scanner Monitor
Scanner Monitor
Steve had it (Shingles, I mean) years ago. He had to miss several days of work because of the pain, and he never misses work! He was sick for three weeks.

this close to giving up.

Post Posted: Feb 8, 2019 11:36 am 
thanks for the heads up. I just looked mine up on the Conifer Medical Center Patient Portal and it shows I received ZOSTAVAX on 12/14/2015. I'll contact Dr. Linn and ask about this.

If you have a pet you wish to add to the Rainbow Bridge Site, please either post in the Pet Forum Rainbow Bridge Page viewtopic.php?f=85&t=78851 or PM me with pet names you would like them added. If you have others already there, please give me their names so I can add your pet with them.

Post Posted: Feb 8, 2019 11:41 am 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
AL, the new vaccine we're talking about, Shingrix, has only been available within the past year or maybe two, I believe. I was told the old vaccine, Zostavax, was around 60% effective; Shingrex is supposedly 90% effective. I had the Zostavax shot maybe 5 years ago, and don't remember any pain because of it. If that is the vaccine that Steve had, he must have had an unusual reaction to it for it to have been that severe.

Last edited by keg on Feb 8, 2019 11:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post Posted: Feb 8, 2019 11:42 am 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Wily, when I saw Dr. Linn a month ago for my yearly old f**t checkup, he said they were having the same problems with Shingrix upply that everybody else was having and he recommended getting it at a pharmacy; I assumed maybe pharmacies are higher priority for the supply than doctor's offices?

Post Posted: Feb 8, 2019 2:09 pm 
Scanner Monitor
Scanner Monitor
Steve had never had the vaccine at all.

this close to giving up.

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next