Urgent Care Center and Emergency Room Locations
desktop webpage or mobile webpage

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Medicating kids on airplanes
Post Posted: Jul 20, 2006 11:07 am 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
Hi, just need some advice from fellow pinecammers. I have a 14 month old wild girl and Benadryl does not calm her down. Does anyone have any tried and true meds, homeopathic ideas, games...etc that have worked on their kids on the plane?
Thanks in advance,
Sara

Last edited by forrestmoon on Jul 20, 2006 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Post Posted: Jul 20, 2006 11:19 am 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
Have you checked with your doctor? They would be the best source on medication, especially given the young age of your daughter. I'd hesitate to dope up my child based on info from a stranger.

On the amusement side, make one of your carry-ons a goody bag of things to do, small toys, little baggies of cheerios, etc. Plan on way more than you'll need and you'll probably come out just about right.

Post subject: Au Natural
Post Posted: Jul 20, 2006 11:24 am 
New Poster
chamomile tea, massage with lavender lotion, etc. Also check out: http://www.botanical.com/products/baby/baby.html or Vitamin Cottage in Evergreen for some great product ideas.

Post subject:
Post Posted: Jul 20, 2006 11:33 am 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
Thank you Caroline, that is mostly what I'm looking for, something mild and not medicine. I need to edit my post!

Post subject:
Post Posted: Jul 20, 2006 11:57 am 
Infrequent Pinecam poster
Infrequent Pinecam poster
Having been a 1K frequent flier for years I've always wanted a tranquilizer gun ... but now that I have a child ... well my opinion has slightly softened.

That said whatever normal medications/etc you have used in the past that help her sleep or relax (cough syrup/etc) ... on a flight is not a time to experiment with something brand-new (medicine or 'natural', after all Arsenic is natural).

Perhaps the most important thing, and I wish the airplanes would make this more obvious, but on take-off and descent small children/babies do not know how to equalize their ears .. and so their ears hurt and then you know what comes next. A very simple, yet effective item to have during both these times is a pacifier or bottle of water, juice, whiskey;) which will make her 'suck' and help her ears to equalize.

All of that said, ipod and Bose headphones make all those annoying sounds go away.

Last edited by khart1814 on Jul 20, 2006 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Post Posted: Jul 20, 2006 12:07 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
Short of duct tape, we found that a portable DVD player (7" screen) with headphones, is the greatest invention for an "over" energetic child on a long trip - car or airplane!

Post subject:
Post Posted: Jul 20, 2006 12:21 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Fourteen months old. A round of drinks for everyone around you goes a long way. Good luck!

Post subject:
Post Posted: Jul 20, 2006 12:53 pm 
Scanner Monitor
Scanner Monitor
I just got home from our 4th (or 5th???) trip with our 18 month old.

Two little secrets I learned from my flight attendant mother...

1) Khart is right... many problems come from little ones not being able to "pop" their ears. Pain means noise and no one wants that!

If you think there is a problem with the ears get a paper or plastic cup from the crew. Go the the bathroom and get a papertowel wet with the hottest water you can manage. Wring the papertowel out and jam it in the bottom of the cup. Hold it up the your little one's ear. PRESTO! The steam helps to clear the ears. :)

2) If your little one fusses and cries DO NOT FEEL BAD! Even the best child has bad days and is not fun to be around. Of course you want to do what you can to quiet your little one for the sake of those around you but if you stress your little one will feed off of it and it wil only get worse for all. My mom tells passangers who get pissy about an upset child, "That little one has YEARS to be good and act grown up. It will not kill anyone for them to act like a baby for a few hours."

One other tip. Make sure you change thwe diaper RIGHT before you get on the plane. Many plane bathrooms have changing tables that will fold down from the wall but I can tell you from experience turbulance is GUARANTEED to hit as soon as the diaper is off. :)

Have fun!!!

Mindy

Jewel

<i>Practice kindness always. In honor of Emily Keyes and the other innocent children in the world.</i>

Post subject:
Post Posted: Jul 20, 2006 2:08 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Walk her up and down the aisle when you can. That will let off a little energy. Usually there are nice folks sitting near who will play peekaboo and other things to keep her occupied for a bit.

My son was crazy about his cars, so I took a variety and he loved zooming them on the trays--a little noisy, but so what?

Sing songs if she likes that. Let her wash her face and hands with a wipey and let her wash you too. Same with combing/brushing hair. At least, some kids like that.

Frankly, I never dreamed of doping my kid for a plane ride, whether prescribed meds, OTC, or naturopathic (sp?).

I had quite the load to carry on the plane, but my kids stayed occupied. If she has a blanket she loves, make sure you take it. One family's little one played peekaboo with me with his blanket and eventually his father covered his head, held him close, and the little guy fell asleep the rest of the flight.

Good luck!

Post subject:
Post Posted: Jul 20, 2006 2:42 pm 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
Quote:
a little noisy, but so what?

:OMG: Please tell me you're not serious?

For people that don't have kids, aren't used to being around kids, need to get some work done on the plane, want to sleep, etc. this would drive them/us/me absolutely berserk!

I had a kid kicking the back of my seat most of the way from Seattle to Denver last time I flew. I was trying to get some work done. Mom didn't think that was a big deal either until I got up, sat behind her and started kicking her seat in rythm with her child kicking the seat in front of them. (I only did this after I asked her nicely, three times, if she could please get her child to stop kicking me.)

I understand that parents need to and should be able to take their children on airplanes and I understand that kids will be kids ... no problem ... but please realize that what may not seem like a big deal to you may be a big deal to someone else.

End of :rant:

I love the rest of your ideas, 2w. I've often played peekaboo with someone's child in the airport and on the plane, it's kinda fun and it helps the parents get a few minutes of relaxation.

Last edited by ridgewalker on Jul 20, 2006 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Post Posted: Jul 20, 2006 2:45 pm 
Scanner Monitor
Scanner Monitor
:rof laughing: that's what I would have done,too! If they are of walking age then they can be controlled by their parents.

This is why I like to fly the red eye- Most likely no kids.

Post subject:
Post Posted: Jul 20, 2006 2:48 pm 
Scanner Monitor
Scanner Monitor
I understand Ridgewalker.

Kicking of the seat is an easy thing to fix. Tell your child "no" and if they continue, reprimand them. Give them something else to do. Seat kicking is often just boredom.

Even as a parent I can not STAND having my seat kicked. I like how you resolved it. I will have to keep that one in mind. ;)

Mindy

Jewel

<i>Practice kindness always. In honor of Emily Keyes and the other innocent children in the world.</i>

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next