Urgent Care Center and Emergency Room Locations
desktop webpage or mobile webpage

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Gastroenterologist
Post Posted: Jul 24, 2007 7:39 pm 
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Does anyone have a recommendation for a GI doc?

Thanks!

Post subject:
Post Posted: Jul 25, 2007 4:03 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
I've been going to the doctors at the South Denver GI practice at Swedish since 1993. They are all very good. They also have an office at Skyridge Medical Center. Their phone number at Swedish is 303-788-8888 and their website is: www.southdenvergi.com. I don't really know of any closer but they are worth the drive. The only woman doctor is gone. I have seen Dr. Pete Baker, Dr. Dan Hruza. I've never had a complaint and they provide very good care. Hope this helps.

Post subject:
Post Posted: Jul 25, 2007 4:18 pm 
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
Actually Arapahoe GI is better, 303-722-8987
we work very close w/GI's and So. Denver has gotten to big for their britches

Post subject:
Post Posted: Sep 6, 2007 4:51 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
I have been going to South Denver GI for years. Steady since 1992 and before that a couple times. I've never had a problem until this year. I had an appointment on August 21st. My doctor ordered blood work. I had the blood work done on August 23rd. I've called and emailed them twice each for results and I never get an answer back. It used to be they would call back the same day if you called before 3pm and the next day if you called after 3pm. I guess they have gotten too big for their britches. I miss my old doctor there. She quit two years ago. I don't know how much longer it will take to get my blood results but today I filed a complaint with them. We'll see how much longer it will take to hear from them. By the time I get the results I'm sure everything would have changed anyway. LOL. If you haven't made an appointment yet, I would go with LLAMALAD suggestion and call Arapahoe GI and maybe you will have better luck.

Post subject:
Post Posted: Sep 7, 2007 10:37 am 
Scanner Monitor
Scanner Monitor
I have to recommend Dr. Scott Isaacs. He is actually an ND but has treated complex GI cases. He is known for his excellent bedside manner as well as his ability to treat severe issues without just pumping you full of drugs.

Dr. Isaacs is also very good at getting new patients in in a very timely manner and not making you wait for ages to get in the front door.

Feel free to call or PM me if you want more specific info.

Call Dr. Isaacs, you will NOT be sorry you did!

303-757-4433

Jewel

<i>Practice kindness always. In honor of Emily Keyes and the other innocent children in the world.</i>

Last edited by Mountain Lady on Sep 7, 2007 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Post Posted: Sep 7, 2007 11:05 am 
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Prolific Pinecam Poster
My husband wound up going to South Denver GI, and I wish we had gone elsewhere. He's being treated by Dr. Baker, who seems like a good doctor, but South Denver GI is way too big. It takes an average of two weeks to get in for each appointment. So every time they run another test, we have to wait two weeks to get in, and then another two weeks just to get the results. This could be a several month long process that should have been over in a few weeks.

I'd look elsewhere if you actually want to get treated in a reasonable amount of time.

Post subject:
Post Posted: Sep 7, 2007 2:11 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
I went to Dr. John Sable at South Denver Gastroenterology in March of 1988. More recently I have been going since 2004 and my friend since 2006. I've also seen Dr. Kugelmas there. I highly recommend at the very least these 2 doctors. Dr. Kugelmas also participates in national clinical studies for new medications. All the study related appointments, medicine & lab tests are completely and totally FREE!!!!

I know someone who was lucky enough to qualify for one of these studies and what took me 14 horrible months of treatment to come up "clear" of - took this other person 14 DAYS.

They may not have the most open appointment schedule - but I think they are definitely worth the wait........................

Post subject: Re: Gastroenterologist
Post Posted: Mar 16, 2015 2:35 pm 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
Ok, so I thought I might make some progress here, but things have certainly changed since 2007! Dr. Isaacs is no longer in practice.

And, Arapahoe GI (ie, Rocky Mtn. Gastro, Arapahoe location) won't see anyone younger than 19.

Anyone have any other ideas for a 15 yr. old w/ digestive issues, as it doesn't look like I should go to So. Denver GI (if that's still the case, and given they'd see a young person). We've taken her to Dr. Stathos but the immediate 'fix' they wanted to offer was to put her on Nexium and that did nothing but make matters worse.

Thanks for any input!

Post Posted: Mar 16, 2015 4:00 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
I actually broke down and went back to South Denver GI. I went to the Sky Ridge office and saw Dr. Geoffrey Jensen. I was hesitant but really liked him. He listened and really spent time with me and cared about what I had to say. He didn't rush me. He asked me a lot of questions and seemed really interested in finding answers. After going to them since 1992 he asked if I had ever been told I have IBS. No, I hadn't. That explains a lot though. He also suggested cutting out dairy for 2 weeks to see if it made a difference. He'll give you options for changing your eating habits to see if it helps or medication if you need that. He also did a blood test for celiac disease. I ended up having an endoscope done to dilate a stricture. Great experience and wonderful doctor. If you go back to South Denver GI, ask for Dr. Geoffrey Jensen, you won't be sorry. I think he only works out of the Sky Ridge office but he is worth the drive. I'll go back to see him again. He will work with your 15 year old. Some of the doctors at South Denver GI are not worth it but he is. Give him a try. Hope it all works out.

Post Posted: Mar 16, 2015 5:00 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
I don't know what kind of problems your child is having but I've had problems since I was a kid. These are the issues that have helped. First off everyone in my family had gall bladder problems. That didn't help. Processed foods are not good for digestive problems. Try eating fresh vegetables, fresh fruits and lean meats. Organic if you can as they don't have all the pesticides in them. I don't like the new GMO foods. I know some people think they are fine but the more natural the better. Try cutting out dairy for a couple weeks and slowly add one thing at a time back and see if you notice if the problems come back. I use almond milk. There is also soy, rice, coconut and goats milk. Milk is also in cheese, there are cheeses made without cows milk. Gluten can be a problem even if you don't have celiac disease. You can still be gluten intolerant. Of course gluten is usually found in processed foods, chips, crackers, prepared meals, etc. Always read labels as it can be in almost everything. It's even in specialty coffees and creamers, soup, gravy mixes, taco mixes, etc. It helps bind things together. Frozen meals are loaded with sodium. Some people have problems with MSG. I know if I eat processed foods I get heart burn a lot. If I eat rich foods with white sauces I need to run to the bathroom and know where all of them are if I'm out. If I eat red saucy foods I get heart burn real bad. I had allergy testing done and found out I am allergic to green peppers. I had also gone to an ENT for a lump in my throat. He found I had reflux. I can't drink soda pop without my stomach burning but I can drink flavored seltzer water with no artificial sugars. So it's not the carbonation but something in the soda. They say if you pour soda on your car it will eat away the paint and it also makes a good toilet cleaner. Also diet foods have chemicals in them that can cause digestive problems. Diet candy has ingredients that will give you diarrhea, especially if you eat too much of it. It's better to go with a baked apple or poached pear. It may be changing eating habits or something else. Keep a record of when problems occur and cut that food out of your diet and see how things go. Try eating a small group of foods that you have't had problems with and see if that helps. Then gradually add back foods you used to eat, but one at a time to see if you get the problems back again. These are all tips I was given because of the IBS and they have helped a lot. A nutritionist or dietitian may help although I went to one and she was of no help whatsoever. Do research. If you eat a lot of fish watch out for the larger fish as they have a lot of mercury in them. Experiment with diet and see if anything helps. I still recommend Dr. Jensen. He will take all the time you need and I saw younger people in the office so I don't see why they won't see your 15 year old. I was also told eat slowly and chew thoroughly as the quicker you eat the more air you swallow causing gas and bloating.

Post Posted: Mar 16, 2015 5:30 pm 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
Thanks for all the suggestions, alwaysrightswife... good stuff! And, yeah... she's on a gluten free diet now (not all that long yet, but she's feeling the difference already). Just wanted to get her tested to be sure it wasn't something in addition to just a change in her diet (like maybe IBS or celiac). She sure has some of the symptoms of IBS so that honestly wouldn't surprise me either.

Poor kid... she's as thin as a rail because it was hard to get her to eat when she knew it would more than likely nauseate her. She never really threw up, but felt like she was going to... a lot! This is hard enough as an adult but this poor kid is learning more about the digestive system than she likely ever thought she would!

And, the symptoms seem to have changed some because when we saw Dr. Stathos, he was suggesting that she might have an ulcer (even though one didn't show up in all the testing) or acid reflux (hence, the Nexium). But now her symptoms seemed to have changed to where it seems to me to look more like gluten sensitivity (if not intolerance), so we decided to try removing that for some time just to see. And, I certainly know I'm no doctor, so want her looked at by someone who might take the time to get to the bottom of it! So... thanks for the recommendation. I've got our PCP working on a referral, and will ask if they can make it for Dr. Jensen!

Post Posted: Mar 16, 2015 10:23 pm 
Please, please stay away from Dr. Triebling with Arapaho Gastro at the Southpark facility. He may work other locations but he was my doctor at the Southpark facility.

Dr. Triebling almost killed me in Dec 2009 from doing an EDG. He brought me out of the anesthetic when the tube and the camera was still in my stomach. I almost choked to death while he STOOD THERE LAUGHING AT ME and did nothing to help. I could not breath because of the tube. Only the nurse did anything to help me. I wrote letters to the Colorado Medical Board detailing what happened and that something definitely needs to happen to him as a result; unfortunately, I never heard back from the CMB. As far as I know nothing was ever done.

Of course I fired Triebling (I can't call him a doctor as I don't believe any real doctor would ever do what he did to me). I have gone to South Denver GI at Swedish Medical and they have all been great. I have steered many people away from going to Arapahoe Gastro (co-workers, friends at church). I don't want anyone to ever suffer what I went through. I honestly hope you do not go to South Denver GI...

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next