Urgent Care Center and Emergency Room Locations
desktop webpage or mobile webpage

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Re: Gastroenterologist
Post Posted: Mar 17, 2015 11:29 am 
Infrequent Pinecam poster
Infrequent Pinecam poster
I've been going to South Denver GI at Swedish for about 15 years and I think they are good. Dr. Roman is who I've seen. He has a PA named Mindy who is very good and thorough. It does take longer to get an appt with the doc, but you can start with a PA and get in quickly.

Post Posted: Mar 17, 2015 1:34 pm 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
Well, bummer. I called So. Denver GI and most of the doc's don't see anyone younger than 18, and even Dr. Jensen doesn't see anyone younger than 16, so I'm right back where I started. Will keep looking, though... thanks for the suggestions!

Post Posted: Mar 17, 2015 2:23 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Sorry. I guess the younger ones I saw were not as young as I thought. Here are some to check out I found online: http://www.healthgrades.com/pediatric-g ... ado/denver These are all around Denver.

http://www.rmpgi.com/ This is Rocky Mountain Gastro in Lone Tree.
http://www.healthgrades.com/pediatric-g ... /lone-tree

My daughter had RA when she was around 15 and we were referred us to Children's Hospital. Children's has good doctors. Their website isn't pulling up departments though. Here's the cached copy of the page for the gi department from March 15th.
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... clnk&gl=us

I hope you can find someone soon. I know how miserable she must be. It wasn't until I was an adult that I got to a doctor. My parents just always said, oh, she's a sensitive kid. I missed a lot of school.

Post Posted: Mar 17, 2015 4:49 pm 
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
While on the subject of Gastro's...My Dr. has referred me to see Dr. Goff. I looked him up and he has poor health grades on the internet. My Dr said he's really good...has anyone here had any experience with him?

₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪

Post Posted: Mar 18, 2015 8:54 am 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
Thanks again for all the great suggestions, everyone! I went back and forth with our PCP yesterday trying to get the referral set up, and after contacting Children's and setting up an appt. with Dr. Kobak who can't see her any sooner than April 14th, we're headed into our PCP on Tues. to have blood drawn (I'm assuming to test for celiac, which I thought had already been done, but maybe not) and begin, at least, to take a look at wheat allergies. I think Dr. Valenziano (our PCP) was as concerned as we were about waiting so long for her to get into a GI doctor again (wow... I obviously went into the wrong field if the wait time for a GI doc's appt. is any indication!). I'm encouraged that we'll be able to either rule in (or out) fairly quickly the entire gluten piece of the puzzle, though. Any forward movement on getting her back to feeling good all the time is definitely a step in the right direction!

And, I did check Dr. Kobak's 'grade' on the link you provided, alwaysrightswife, and it looks like he's getting an 'A', although there weren't very many responses. I definitely like that website!

Thanks again all! Pinecam folks are the best!! :-)

Post Posted: Mar 18, 2015 6:50 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
I've had IBS for about seven years now. I have to recommend her trying disttilled water for a few days or even a week to see if that helps. I was in shock after going on a vacation and noticed I was getting better as far as the acid/bloating. The morning after I got home I had my usual large glass of water and within minutes I started to bloat and feel the acid coming on. I've been drinking distilled for about a week now and i am having minimal acid and no bloating. Unfortunately it can be the water even when it would seem to be some of the best water in the country. It certainly wasn't something on my radar whatsoever!
I hope she feels better soon!

Post Posted: Mar 18, 2015 8:28 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
When my son developed H. Pylori, we went to Dr. Stathos at Rocky Mountain Pediatric GI http://rmpgi.com

Post Posted: Mar 19, 2015 7:55 am 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Make sure you get copies of ALL tests and records from the doctor. When you have a chronic problem, it's important to keep everything. It's your daughter's life and you need to make sure you know everything that has been and is being done.

Good luck.

Post Posted: Apr 1, 2015 10:57 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
COMtnLuvnIt, Was your PCP able to help any while you wait for the appointment on April 14th with Dr. Kobak? I've been thinking of you and your daughter and will keep praying you get answers and she gets relief. I was hoping you got put on a cancellation list so you could get in sooner.

Post Posted: Apr 2, 2015 2:30 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
People with celiac are commonly missed during diagnostic testing. My insurance states that it "seems" people with celiac are not IgA deficient. The NIH states that IgA deficiency is common in celiac disease.

Insurance companies recommend TTG-IgA tests to check for celiac but if you're IgA deficient the tests will come back negative. A test for IgA deficiency will show that the test could be a false negative but insurance companies blatantly try to get doctors to exclude this important test.

When being scoped for celiac one tissue sample may not be enough and you must consume gluten for the test to be positive. I've read that at least 4 tissues samples are recommended.

I knew someone that was tested for celiac but her endoscopy came back negative. Several years later she developed dermatitis herpetiformis which only occurs in people with celiac. (not all people with celiac will develop the rash)

Some oats are considered gluten free but some people with celiac get very sick if they eat them. Pills should be gluten free as well.

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2