It is currently Sep 23, 2019 3:56 am 

If you are looking for a new pet, click here for pets for needing adoption, rescue, or for sale.
Click here for lost/found pets and click here for pet related advertisements.

Image Rainbow Bridge page Image Add your fur baby here Image

Reply to topic  [ 598 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Re: **FREE advice from a Local, Professional, Dog Trainer**
Post Posted: Aug 17, 2014 7:03 pm 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
Hi Natalie,

Thank you for this useful article!
Just today I took in a 4yr old Chow mix from a friend. This would have been his 3rd or 4th return to a shelter for nervous biting.

His issue that I'm most concerned about is his dislike of extended or heavy touching.
While reaching under him trying to attach a lower strap for a harness he showed his teeth and lightly bit and nipped. I didn't back away but stopped my action and he slowly calmed down. An hour later It turns out a simple strap leash works just fine while walking and heeling. Charlie picked that up quickly.

BUT
He is a black dog with a thick coat and will need weekly brushing...mostly to stay cool. Also the occasional trip for grooming and nail clipping are needed. He needs all now. What do you recommend I do to help him adjust and relax to general touching/grooming.

Thanks for your past posts Natalie.

Post Posted: Aug 17, 2014 9:19 pm 
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
Abner wrote:
Hi Natalie,

Thank you for this useful article!
Just today I took in a 4yr old Chow mix from a friend. This would have been his 3rd or 4th return to a shelter for nervous biting.

His issue that I'm most concerned about is his dislike of extended or heavy touching.
While reaching under him trying to attach a lower strap for a harness he showed his teeth and lightly bit and nipped. I didn't back away but stopped my action and he slowly calmed down. An hour later It turns out a simple strap leash works just fine while walking and heeling. Charlie picked that up quickly.

BUT
He is a black dog with a thick coat and will need weekly brushing...mostly to stay cool. Also the occasional trip for grooming and nail clipping are needed. He needs all now. What do you recommend I do to help him adjust and relax to general touching/grooming.

Thanks for your past posts Natalie.

TIME TIME TIME... you just got him, it can take up to 6 months for an adult dog to adjust to a new home. Considering this dog has issues you will have to be patient and give him time to adjust to you and build trust. Work on a routine that involves some touching and "grooming" daily starting with your hands then slowly introducing tools like brushes and combs. He will learn to love these times of attention if he realizes they are not about force, fear and restraint. Find a special treat he really likes and I mean REALLY LIKES!! (Hot dogs, Cheese, steak....whatever!!) and make that part of these daily grooming sessions. Start slow and with lots of frequent rewarding. Let him leave when he wants to do not force him to stay with you give him an exit but if he wants to stay for more yummy treats and pets (brushing) give a few more just stay under his tolerance for touching him, don't push him into growling or snapping at you. When he leaves the treats and petting stops, you are trying to make him feel like it is his idea to be groomed.

If he is in dire need of a grooming because he has bad mats and they are pulling on his skin, then please take him to a Veterinarian that will sedate and shave him for now. It is not worth waiting or stressing him out at a groomer when he needs to be cared for and his health is involved.

Thank You for taking in this guy!!

Let me know how it is going and please feel free to ask any other questions.

"If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives; Be kind anyway." -Mother Teresa Of Calcutta

http://www.pinecam.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=20745

Post Posted: Aug 18, 2014 1:56 pm 
Infrequent Pinecam poster
Hi Natalie. I need some suggestions of how to help my 2-year-old aussie mix neutered male who has a problem with submissive or nervous urination. This only happens when I get home after being away at work or for a few hours on a weekend. I have had him for about a year and it seems to be getting worse instead of better. I initially reacted incorrectly and yelled as it caught me off guard. I do not react now. I try greeting him very casually, just talking to him in a regular voice and sometimes scratching him under the chin. If I get down on his level (not over his head) and greet him, he pees all over the place and shakes which makes me so sad that for some reason he's afraid. I would sure appreciate any suggestions you have. I'm thinking some agility might boost his confidence. Thanks so much.

Post Posted: Aug 18, 2014 2:25 pm 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
I have a dog (doxie) that did that too
he'd pee on my pant leg/shoes/floor everytime I came home
he trained me to immediately go into the kitchen (easy to clean floor) and spread my feet so he'd miss my shoes before interacting with them
or I'd immediately go out on the deck before greeting them and keep my shoes out of the way

it didn't take long before he stopped doing it
my advice (no where near Natalie's level of training) is to not greet him at all when you first get home
I think my guy was over excited rather than scared - but if your guy is scared, then I wouldn't greet him until you've settled down - not even eye contact - and let him come to you

Post Posted: Aug 29, 2014 8:13 am 
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Hi, I have a 2 yr. old Maltese/cocker/poodle little shaggy dog (adorable!) saved her from the devastations of a puppy mill in Nebraska. She is brilliant!! Learns everything very quickly except one issue, well maybe 2,..the one above of getting too anxious when entering our home after being away, (but we are taking your advise) The other is when we take her "bye-bye" with us. She had an issue of going potty in the truck along the ride, she's finally got it down of NOT going (took her forever it seemed) We put a seatbelt on her in the back as well as a seatbelt in front, for everyone's comfort really. But I do believe restraining her to the front passenger seat with seatbelt helped to teach her also to not go potty. (I still put plastic down and a towel just in case :-)

OK, our problem is her crying SO LOUD when we leave the truck to go inside a store!!! OMG!!! Even sometimes when we're just driving, (my thought? Stop and let her out to go potty, which I do, where I can up in the mountains off the highway)... But it's really mostly leaving her in the truck alone, she cries so loud!!

I'll get back in to the truck and of course tell her "no no"!, and hold her little mouth, as she's hopping and jumping all over the place from the excitement of seeing me. But before petting her as I get in, I discipline her to "NO!".. Oh sometimes people will look at me like I'm killing my dog by leaving her in the truck, it's embarrassing... I always leave windows down, so EVERYONE hears it!! I've tested her before like at Home Depot, I'll walk into the store, turn around to see if she's still yelling, I've found out "if she see's me STILL, she yells", but when she can't see me she stops, of course unless a "boogeyman shopper" from the store walks by the truck, then you'd think she was a 200 pound Rotti protecting the truck.

So how do I get her to stop this loud behavior when we go bye-bye? :shhh:

Post Posted: Aug 29, 2014 9:06 am 
again, I'm not Natalie, but i'll take a stab at it , tomcat
don't give her any attention at all, good or bad when she cries - that reinforces the crying for attention
park your truck in your driveway with her in it while you are outside (with yummie high value treats like hot dogs) - stand near the semi-opened window and when she's quiet, give her a treat - when she cries, turn your back to her (no eye contact)
when she takes a break from crying, give her some treats (small bites)
do that for awhile till she gets it while you are right there - then move further away and repeat, and keep moving further away as she gets it

I have no clue about the boogyman shopper though - my guys will do that too - I'm working with them about barking at folks when I'm driving the truck - they are getting better, but all bets are off when I'm inside the store - I park furthest away from the store so there will be fewer 'passerbys' -

Post Posted: Sep 26, 2014 10:03 pm 
sheppiedog wrote:
Hi Natalie. I need some suggestions of how to help my 2-year-old aussie mix neutered male who has a problem with submissive or nervous urination. This only happens when I get home after being away at work or for a few hours on a weekend. I have had him for about a year and it seems to be getting worse instead of better. I initially reacted incorrectly and yelled as it caught me off guard. I do not react now. I try greeting him very casually, just talking to him in a regular voice and sometimes scratching him under the chin. If I get down on his level (not over his head) and greet him, he pees all over the place and shakes which makes me so sad that for some reason he's afraid. I would sure appreciate any suggestions you have. I'm thinking some agility might boost his confidence. Thanks so much.

You will have to take him outside to have your greetings so that you won't care that he pees, then be happy to see him and let him get it all over with. And Yes some fun activities would be great to boost his confidence in himself and help him bond with you. Your eye to eye contact will make it worse, especially if he has ever been "dominance rolled" if pinned to the floor for doing something as a punishment. It will take him time to get over this behavior. Keep with the positive reinforcement it will get you farther in the long run.

"If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives; Be kind anyway." -Mother Teresa Of Calcutta

Post Posted: Sep 26, 2014 10:09 pm 
tomcat wrote:
Hi, I have a 2 yr. old Maltese/cocker/poodle little shaggy dog (adorable!) saved her from the devastations of a puppy mill in Nebraska. She is brilliant!! Learns everything very quickly except one issue, well maybe 2,..the one above of getting too anxious when entering our home after being away, (but we are taking your advise) The other is when we take her "bye-bye" with us. She had an issue of going potty in the truck along the ride, she's finally got it down of NOT going (took her forever it seemed) We put a seatbelt on her in the back as well as a seatbelt in front, for everyone's comfort really. But I do believe restraining her to the front passenger seat with seatbelt helped to teach her also to not go potty. (I still put plastic down and a towel just in case :-)

OK, our problem is her crying SO LOUD when we leave the truck to go inside a store!!! OMG!!! Even sometimes when we're just driving, (my thought? Stop and let her out to go potty, which I do, where I can up in the mountains off the highway)... But it's really mostly leaving her in the truck alone, she cries so loud!!

I'll get back in to the truck and of course tell her "no no"!, and hold her little mouth, as she's hopping and jumping all over the place from the excitement of seeing me. But before petting her as I get in, I discipline her to "NO!".. Oh sometimes people will look at me like I'm killing my dog by leaving her in the truck, it's embarrassing... I always leave windows down, so EVERYONE hears it!! I've tested her before like at Home Depot, I'll walk into the store, turn around to see if she's still yelling, I've found out "if she see's me STILL, she yells", but when she can't see me she stops, of course unless a "boogeyman shopper" from the store walks by the truck, then you'd think she was a 200 pound Rotti protecting the truck.

So how do I get her to stop this loud behavior when we go bye-bye? :shhh:

Great suggestions from wildgoose, and I may also suggest a kennel for transport in the vehicle. Maybe so that she can not see you once you have excited the car. Between the two suggestions you may be able to get the behavior under control.

Post Posted: Sep 26, 2014 10:11 pm 
Sorry everyone, my notifications were turned off and I didn't know there were questions for me. I turned them back on.

Post Posted: Nov 5, 2014 2:43 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
Abner wrote:

Had to chime in, had an Akita first dog. Great learning experience. Love how you can see that tail bobbing through the mountain grass, only way I could find him in a meadow.

Dogs thrive on routine.
And he's shown he wants to please you (by heeling), just some -hole along the way mistreated him and now there are issues with hands near the face and places he can't see them (bad memories).
So it's going to take time to erase the bad memories and replace them with 'happy times', luckily dogs can't tell time.
I find, once they let you, the quickest way to a dogs heart is through the belly. Treats and lots of belly rubs. My Akita loved homebaked peanut butter cookies (dog not human recipe).

If after he's adjusted, he's still showing teeth, post again.

I agree Vet sedate, shave. Never know when aggression/stress is symptom of larger health issue.
When they knocked out my Akita, he got his nails done (didn't need the shave).
Great nail clipping vid, when the time comes. Reinforces patience and routine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rcx-HG7kaGU

Post Posted: Nov 13, 2014 11:12 am 
Do you offer classes? If so, where can I find a schedule?

Post Posted: Nov 13, 2014 11:24 am 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Natalie offers Group Classes at Buster's Natural Pet Supply in Conifer. The schedule can been here-

http://www.bustersdogtraining.com/woof/ ... /schedule/

There are other trainers affiliated with Buster's so please call to schedule and confirm the class you are signing up for is a Natalie taught class =)

Reply to topic  [ 598 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50  Next