It is currently Nov 15, 2018 9:37 am 

Do you or someone you know need some help with a project?
Click here to contact the Neighborhood Action Team.

Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: ELID - 22% Higher Sales Tax in Evergreen
Post Posted: May 17, 2018 10:17 am 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Please help out the Evergreen Community and sign this petition to stop DEED and ELID from raising our sales taxes. Even if you live outside of the proposed tax district, you may want to visit or shop in Evergreen.

It only takes a minute of your time. Here is the No2ELID Petition.

https://www.ipetitions.com/petition/ELID-Higher-Sales-Tax

Please help to spread the word to your friends and neighbors. DEED has had much publicity in favor of this tax, and almost no publicity from those opposed to a new Tax Authority.

The (DEED), Downtown Evergreen Economic District is a private group of downtown Evergreen property and business owners proposing to create a new layer of government called a "Local Improvement District" for the greater Evergreen area. The estimated annual revenue generated by the tax is $900 thousand per year with which ELID intends to construct roundabouts & other urban-type projects that would be detrimental to our mountain environment.

This idea will soon come to the Conifer area and we will all pay much Higher Sales Taxes in the future.
Thank You for any help you can provide!

Post subject: Re: ELID - 22% Higher Sales Tax in Evergreen
Post Posted: May 17, 2018 3:21 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Why would a roundabout be "detrimental to the mountain environment"? I know nothing about DEED or ELID, but I believe replacing that traffic light in downtown Evergreen with a roundabout would be just about the best thing to happen to that community.

Post Posted: May 17, 2018 3:52 pm 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
keg wrote:
Why would a roundabout be "detrimental to the mountain environment"? ....., but I believe replacing that traffic light in downtown Evergreen with a roundabout would be just about the best thing to happen to that community.

I also agree that a roundabout would have been a good solution, but it likely would have been an engineering nightmare due to close proximity of businesses and Bear Creek below the road. One building was already removed when the intersection was built. And don't forget the elk, and a roundabout? I think most folks have seen the picture of about 75 or so elk working their way through the current stop light. :elk dance:

Post Posted: May 18, 2018 5:52 am 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
Traffic roundabout = Satan

:evil devil:

Post Posted: May 18, 2018 6:46 am 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Yeah, BG, that is just about what I would expect from you. Roundabouts work in Europe and they are, in my opinion, the most efficient means of handling traffic at an intersection. And they are very simple to navigate.

Waterman, you might be right. I can't help but think that something the size of the roundabout at Marshdale would be possible in downtown Evergreen, without significantly impacting businesses ... but then again, my sense of scale is sometimes challenged.

Post Posted: May 18, 2018 7:36 am 
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Think of how many large vehicles go through that intersection, now add a roundabout...

Post Posted: May 18, 2018 7:43 am 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Funny the discussion here is all about Roundabouts. Originally, this group had plans for (8) roundabouts in Evergreen. The current plan is for (2) roundabouts. No Roundabout is planned for the 74&73 intersection.

Here is a link to the current ELID project list. Sidewalks, curb & gutter, Raised medians w/pretty flowers, Raised crosswalks etc... Just like in the big city!
http://www.elidevergreen.co.nf/PDFDOCS/ELID%20Project%20list%20042418.pdf

Post Posted: May 18, 2018 11:40 am 
Infrequent Pinecam poster
Infrequent Pinecam poster
Those Roundabouts are STUPID all they are is a man-made obstacle that impedes traffic. Many drivers don't even know how to negotiate them.

Post Posted: May 18, 2018 12:26 pm 
luigi wrote:
Those Roundabouts are STUPID all they are is a man-made obstacle that impedes traffic. Many drivers don't even know how to negotiate them.

I respect your opinion luigi, but mine is they facilitate flow as evidenced by the one at 73 and N. Turkey Creek Rd. Without question most folks know how to use that roundabout. A few hesitate unnecessarily, but in my opinion that's probably less than 15 percent and I drive this one sometimes multiple times each day. The intersection flows better compared to before the roundabout, especially considering the number of buses due to the bus barn at that location.

Where I wish a roundabout would be installed is at 73 and the complex with the Staples store.

Oh, and I'm not in favor of higher sales taxes in Evergreen as mentioned by the OP.

Post Posted: May 18, 2018 12:37 pm 
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
luigi wrote:

That's because, for some inexplicable reason, the simple task of merging has become a lost art. See it every day around here. Kings Valley, Aspen Park, 285 at Richmond Hill, take your pick. Why people struggle with this so much, and sometimes stop where there are acceleration lanes but no stop signs is beyond me. Personally, I don't mind the roundabouts as long as someone isn't in front of me with a dazed, confused look on their face and a death grip on the steering wheel.

Post Posted: May 18, 2018 12:41 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Taranis wrote:
luigi wrote:

That's because, for some inexplicable reason, the simple task of merging has become a lost art. See it every day around here. Kings Valley, Aspen Park, 285 at Richmond Hill, take your pick. Why people struggle with this so much, and sometimes stop where there are acceleration lanes but no stop signs is beyond me. Personally, I don't mind the roundabouts as long as someone isn't in front of me with a dazed, confused look on their face and a death grip on the steering wheel.

Might be a first, me agreeing with Taranis, but there it is. Any driver who is too stupid to know how to negotiate a roundabout is really too stupid to be allowed to drive in the first place. Roundabouts are about as simple a way to manage an intersection as there is.

Post Posted: May 18, 2018 5:24 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
The size of roundabouts that could be installed on 73/74 would never work. The reason the roundabouts work in Europe is because of their shear size, side ramps and multi-lane design.

Here is a perfect solution. Hire a traffic study team to analyze traffic flow along 73/74 and optimize the traffic light patterns.

The old plan and new plan are flawed from the start. All these proposed plans will be funded by local residents for use by visitors.

This country is bankrupt, stop the financial bleed before it is too late!

Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next