It is currently Aug 21, 2018 3:43 pm 

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Cleaning Culverts on Private Property
Post Posted: Jun 20, 2018 6:12 am 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
Hi all, wondering what is the best way to get a 3' wide culvert cleaned on my private property. Culvert goes under our driveway and is packed full of sand coming from a "upstream" Jeffco road but they won't deal with it as it is on private property. Short of digging it out (I've done this before) what are other more reasonable methods of remediation?

Thanks for the assist

Post subject: Re: Cleaning Culverts on Private Property
Post Posted: Jun 20, 2018 6:27 am 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
Flushing it with a high stream of water is one option but it would have to have some clearance at the top from one end to the other to facilitate flow out of the culvert to wash out the sand. It doesn't always work depending on the compaction and mix of rock.

Post Posted: Jun 20, 2018 8:40 am 
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Prolific Pinecam Poster
I use a garden hoe to clean out the ends, then the hose.

Post Posted: Jun 20, 2018 11:55 am 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
FishFearMe wrote:
Hi all, wondering what is the best way to get a 3' wide culvert cleaned on my private property. Culvert goes under our driveway and is packed full of sand coming from a "upstream" Jeffco road but they won't deal with it as it is on private property. Short of digging it out (I've done this before) what are other more reasonable methods of remediation?

Thanks for the assist

Interesting that Jeffco won't deal with it. About 20 yrs. ago, Jeffco got tired of cleaning mine out that they just took it out (without consulting me or compensating me for my culvert that they took).

Post Posted: Jun 20, 2018 2:42 pm 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
Hey all, appreciate the perspectives and inputs.

Post Posted: Jun 20, 2018 4:41 pm 
Infrequent Pinecam poster
We have a culvert that is under 126 and the ditch runs into our yard; and a culvert from a dirt road that Jeffco maintains. When we moved here, 18 years ago, we contacted Jeffco and they cleaned out the culverts, one which is on "private land". When we called a year or two ago, they came out and told us they wouldn't clean out our cuvlert because it was on private land. It's frustrating because it is all the run off from the county roads. The last time, we actually contacted our country rep. because Jeffco wouldn't even come out to clean the ditches out, when we contacted them. It's their ditches, along their roads! After we contacted the Rep, they were out in a couple of weeks and did dig out the ditches. One good rain, and they were filled back in and so were our culverts that we had power washed out. The ditch from 126, has caused a "beach" in our yard. We have contacted them -- they don't care.

Post Posted: Jun 21, 2018 6:10 am 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
kmsunday, regarding "It's frustrating because it is all the run off from the county roads", precisely my point! I get the issue of liability. It's a dang shame we can't just do what's right vs what the lawyers say we can do. I'm resigned to the fact it's my responsibility but now trying to figure out a cost/time effective process to implement a remedy. The culvert runs under my driveway so if not remedied it's only a matter of time before it begins to destroy the driveway.

Post Posted: Jun 21, 2018 9:30 am 
I guess, technically they have "cleaned out the culverts" by blasting the dirt and debris into our yard. When they cleaned the ditches along the dirt road, they told us they would remove the dirt. They piled the dirt onto the road (right along the ditch) which in turn ran back into the ditch, when it rained and clogged the culverts and ditches, in no time.

Last year we paid $800 -- friend discount -- to have both ditches dug out, again (but to extend them both to a little (now) seasonal stream that runs across our yard). . . And several hundreds of dollars for large rocks to line the one ditch, to help with flow. We really don't appreciate the dirt, debris and trash from a "county maintained road" (not), destroying our yard, but it is not their responsibility -- but our tax money. Or the fact that we have an ugly ditch (you can only do so much to make it look "nice" ) running almost the length of our property, just to get it to run into the little/ditch stream to stop the sand beach in our yard. We still need to purchase dirt and grass seed for along the ditches. I threw out flower seeds this spring, but because of the sandy soil nothing but weeds came up (and not many of those!).

Each heavy rain, we go out and pick up all the trash. We have called many times. . . Sigh. At least our newly dug ditch does look better, then the clogged, over flowing ditch that stopped half way into our "beach"! Once we get grass/flowers to grow, it will look much better, too.

Post Posted: Jun 21, 2018 6:19 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
kmsunday wrote:
Once we get grass/flowers to grow, it will look much better, too.

Clover, plant clover...it's much better for soil retention.

Post Posted: Jun 21, 2018 7:30 pm 
Awesome!!! Thank you DogRunner! And it
should attack bees and butterflies!

Yay!!

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ]