It is currently Feb 19, 2020 11:07 pm 

Do you or someone you know need some help with a project?
Click here to contact the Neighborhood Action Team.

Reply to topic  [ 5188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 406, 407, 408, 409, 410, 411, 412 ... 433  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Re: Interesting Facts
Post Posted: Aug 24, 2019 4:53 am 
Scanner Monitor
Scanner Monitor
Location: "...and the flag was still there.” [National Anthum]
A wake of buzzards sounds appropriate after a murder of crows. 8O

And into the forest I go,
To lose my mind
And find my soul.

Post Posted: Aug 24, 2019 7:10 am 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
aspenleaf wrote:
A wake of buzzards sounds appropriate after a murder of crows. 8O

... or a shiver of sharks. :D

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." ~ Theodore Roosevelt

Post Posted: Aug 24, 2019 7:14 am 
How Many Baby Boomers Are There In The US?

The baby-boom generation is different in some countries because it is defined as those children born to families of servicemen returning home after World War II and for the eighteen years following.

It was decided that in North America this term included people born between 1946 and 1964.

In 2006 there were about seventy-six million baby boomers in the United States and about 9.8 million in Canada.

In that year the boomers began turning sixty, with the youngest, of course, being forty-two.

In Depth

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." ~ Theodore Roosevelt

Post Posted: Aug 24, 2019 4:00 pm 
Scanner Monitor
Scanner Monitor
We're going to need more nurses, doctors, hospitals, and so on. It's a good time to go to medical school and buy stock in a pharmaceutical company.

To lose my mind
And find my soul.

Post Posted: Aug 25, 2019 7:15 am 
aspenleaf wrote:
We're going to need more nurses, doctors, hospitals, and so on. It's a good time to go to medical school and buy stock in a pharmaceutical company.

Amen.

Post Posted: Aug 25, 2019 7:19 am 
Frederic Tudor, The Ice King

It doesn’t get very cold in the winter in the Indian city of Calcutta.

Winter in Calcutta

Even had they heard of ice in 1833, most of the city’s people had never seen it. So, when Frederick Tudor’s ship arrived in Calcutta harbor with a shipment of ice from the ponds of New England, it caused a great deal of excitement.

The ice sold as fast as it could be unloaded from the ship. People thought Tudor was crazy when he first began sending ice to different parts of the world, but he was actually very smart. The first place he sent ice was the West Indies. That was in 1805.

The sailors on the ship that carried the ice thought the ice would all melt, fill the ship with water, and sink it. The ice did melt, but the ship did not sink. On the next voyage, Tudor had the ice packed in sawdust as an insulator. This time the ice didn’t melt, and a whole new business was started. It was big business, too, because there was no way to make ice in those days, ice-making machines weren’t invented until the 1850’s.

First ice-maker

People prized ice because it kept food from spoiling. Without it, they either had to preserve food with salt and spices or eat it right away.

Frederic Tudor was known as Boston’s “Ice King”, and started the Tudor Ice Company. Much money was made selling ice to Europe and East Asia.

Logo

Historical marker

In Depth

Post Posted: Aug 26, 2019 7:25 am 
The Amazon Rainforest

As most of you know, the Amazon region in South America has been in the news for the last few days due to the outbreak of wildfires in this once picturesque and idyllic area. It is both scary and of immediate concern how much the goings-on in the Amazon affect us here so far away. Whether it’s the air we breath, the medicines we take, or the rains we get … it’s scary. Here are some facts about the Amazon, along with unrelated images of the ongoing fires that underscore my fears:

1. The Amazon is the world's biggest rainforest, larger than the next two largest rainforests — in the Congo Basin and Indonesia — combined.

2. At 6.9 million square kilometers (2.72 million square miles), the Amazon Basin is roughly the size of the forty-eight contiguous United States and covers some 40 percent of the South American continent.

3. The Amazon River is by far the world's largest river by volume. It has over 1,100 tributaries, 17 of which are longer than 1000 miles. The Amazon delivers 55 million gallons of water into the Atlantic ocean every second.

4. The Amazon River once flowed west-ward instead of east-ward as it does today. The rise of the Andes caused it to flow into the Atlantic Ocean.

5. The Amazon is estimated to have 16,000 tree species and 390 billion individual trees.

6. Nearly two-thirds of the Amazon rainforest is found in Brazil.

7. The Amazon is thought to have 2.5 million species of insects. More than half the species in the Amazon rainforest are thought to live in the canopy.

8. 25% of all western pharmaceuticals come from rainforest based ingredients, yet less than 1% of the trees and plants in the Amazon have ever been tested by scientists.

9. The Amazon influences rainfall patterns as far away as the United States.

10. Cattle ranching accounts for roughly 70 percent of deforestation in the Amazon.

11. This area of immense natural beauty is sometimes referred to as ‘the lungs of the Earth’. This is because the rich vegetation takes carbon dioxide out of the air, and releases oxygen back in. In fact, more than 20% of the world’s oxygen is produced by the Amazon.

In Depth

Post Posted: Aug 26, 2019 7:52 am 
Scanner Monitor
Scanner Monitor
80,000 (yes, eighty thousand) fires have occurred in Brazil alone. As much as 90% of healing drugs are found in rain forests. Answers to medical problems are being destroyed before research can be done to find more.

To lose my mind
And find my soul.

Post Posted: Aug 27, 2019 7:02 am 
The First Postage Stamp In The United States

The world’s first postage stamps appeared in England in 1840, but the first U.S. stamps didn’t appear until 1847.

The 1840 Penny Black

The 1847 Franklin and Washington stamps

There were two stamps issued at that time: a five-cent and a ten-cent. The five-cent stamp had a picture of Benjamin Franklin, who had been in charge of the mails during the American Revolution.

The ten-cent stamp bore a picture of George Washington. Some of these stamps still exist today!

Each year, about 410 pieces of mail are sent to every person in the United States!

In Depth

Post Posted: Aug 27, 2019 7:27 am 
Scanner Monitor
Scanner Monitor
Speaking of stamps: In 1918, 100 stamps were accidentally published with an inverted plane. At the time, it cost 24 cents.

It is considered the greatest blunder of the USPS.

The "inverted Jenny" last sold at auction in November 2007 for $977,500.

It is currently valued at $1,593,000.

To lose my mind
And find my soul.

Post Posted: Aug 27, 2019 7:56 am 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
I find it interesting that that happened just as the days of "barnstorming" were beginning and crowds were drawn to local fields to watch these acrobatic flights perform. Perhaps someone in the printing office wanted to draw a little attention for fun?

Great peace have they who love Thy law, and nothing shall offend them... Ps 118:165

Post Posted: Aug 27, 2019 11:38 am 
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
Does anyone know of someone who collects stamps ? I have some I'd like someone to take a look at.

Reply to topic  [ 5188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 406, 407, 408, 409, 410, 411, 412 ... 433  Next