It is currently Jul 9, 2020 11:41 pm 

Urgent Care Center and Emergency Room Locations
desktop webpage or mobile webpage

Reply to topic  [ 410 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 35  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Re: My Journey with a bum shoulder - @ 5 yrs-replace in Sept
Post Posted: Sep 15, 2019 8:41 pm 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
It takes awhile before physical therapy starts with a total shoulder replacement, particularly a reverse. Some healing has to occur before the work begins. It's usually about a month. There are things you can do to aid circulation, but the hard work needs to hold off for a bit. There is so much stuff you can tear up if you start too soon.
Mrs. BGR

Post Posted: Sep 15, 2019 9:15 pm 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
I go back for post surgery checkup and staple removal on the 24th. At that time, I will begin PT. I do two exercises now from day one. I am not to take any anti inflammatory other than what was prescribed for 4 days post surgery until I see him on the 24th. I will ask him about this formula 303

If you have a pet you wish to add to the Rainbow Bridge Site, please either post in the Pet Forum Rainbow Bridge Page viewtopic.php?f=85&t=78851 or PM me with pet names you would like them added. If you have others already there, please give me their names so I can add your pet with them.

Post Posted: Sep 16, 2019 10:08 am 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
Mrs. BRG.....actually I have had two total shoulder replacements, my left one was a reverse, and so I guess it is up to the surgeon as to what they feel is best when it comes to physical therapy. As I mentioned before, I began PT from Day One on each shoulder! Initially one of the most important exercises I did was called PROM therapy (passive range of motion). Obviously your surgeon felt otherwise as to his personal recommendations regarding PT. I guess it's not much different than physical therapy that follows hip replacement surgery when they get you up and walking the next day. Lots of different points of view these days.

Post Posted: Sep 16, 2019 2:45 pm 
I am only doing one exercise to keep the shoulder muscles "waking up". I have my arm down by my side with elbow bent forward and raise my arm just a bit for just a few times an hour. the other is moving wrist and fingers. I am no longer using the sling, but I do have my arm up against my chest when I am up and about.

Damn Cassi was chasing a mouse ALL NIGHT LONG in the guest room that I am sharing with her. Usually, I get up and I have a plastic 2 qt bucket and a piece of cardboard that I catch the mouse or chipmunk and release back outside. not now, so I was subjected to listening to her chase and torment all night. At 6:30, I got up, the mouse was alive and Cassi was so happy. I left them and came upstairs. She is now sleeping hard, so either the mouse is dead or it escaped or it is hiding somewhere good. As a result, I have been unusually tired today. no pain meds and doing OK so far. It is almost 3pm

If you have a pet you wish to add to the Rainbow Bridge Site, please either post in the Pet Forum Rainbow Bridge Page viewtopic.php?f=85&t=78851 or PM me with pet names you would like them added. If you have others already there, please give me their names so I can add your pet with them.

Post Posted: Sep 16, 2019 5:35 pm 
Day 7 - no pain meds today.

Post Posted: Sep 16, 2019 5:57 pm 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
Wily Fox aka Angela wrote:
Day 7 - no pain meds today.
:applause:

Wishing you a more peaceful night tonight, Ang. :sleeping: You need your rest to heal. :hugs:

:love:

Post Posted: Sep 16, 2019 6:55 pm 
AWWWWWWWWW. If Cassi stays asleep, I should, too. today was quiet day, did not do much, but did get up and about and walk around inside and out. beautiful day

Post Posted: Sep 17, 2019 8:37 am 
I ended up taking one 5mg at bedtime as I tried to sleep in the bed last night. I am so tired of sleeping sitting up. While the rest of my body was very happy, I could not find the right position for my arm. I will continue to work on it. the muscles from my elbow to my shoulder blade are involved in this trauma and that is what is hurting.

Post Posted: Sep 17, 2019 9:10 am 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
Have you tried sleeping with your sling on, to keep your arm (and ultimately your shoulder) snugly in place during the night?
I never slept in a chair afterwards so I can only imagine that it can't be too comfortable.

Post Posted: Sep 17, 2019 9:53 am 
I was thinking about that very thing this morning, the sling. I will experiment today with that. I am not in a chair, I am on a sofa, a very comfy sofa with tons of soft pillows so it is comfortable, but I wanted to sleep prone. I can't sleep in recliner/chair either. too much pressure on back on my head and shoulder blade to be comfortable.

Post Posted: Sep 17, 2019 10:01 am 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
I preferred the sling at night mainly to eliminate any possibility of moving the wrong way or perhaps putting myself in a position that would mess things up! It's hard to sleep when worrying about stuff like that! Besides, "sitting up" is not a normal sleeping position and your body knows that. Give your sling a try tonight!

Post Posted: Sep 17, 2019 10:57 am 
you got it. thank you for your help and advice. it means and helps a lot. the area around the incision is mostly numb from nerves being cut but some parts are knitting back and I have a different pain/discomfort today. I don't like it. taking it very easy today. took one 5mg pill at 10:15 as a result. settling in for nap with Cassi

Reply to topic  [ 410 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 35  Next