It is currently Jul 7, 2020 2:03 am 

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Lehow Cemetary at Waterton
Post Posted: Feb 24, 2008 12:26 pm 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
Quote:
On a bluff battered by harsh winds and blistered by sunny blue skies lies a simple graveyard.It's not unlike the thousands of final resting spaces that dot the vast western prairies, rest inside the hogback, or nestle unseen in the mountains.

Usually they're found on a hill, surrounded by an iron fence which encloses a few withered trees and barren shrubs, their simple, weathered markers attesting to the lives of those who lived in leaner times.

The cars that whistle by on nearby Wadsworth are filled with occupants hurrying toward Lockheed Martin.Nearby, hundreds of golf carts sit in a large compound awaiting the arrival of spring. Multi-million dollar homes dot a new golf course catering to those who can afford hefty green fees which would have been more than a month's pay for those buried long ago under Lehow Cemetery's rock and sand.

Few know the cemetery is there, although it's just a few hundred yards from the sprawling aerospace campus and within a mile of affluent Ravenna and Roxborough communities.

In the late nineteenth century, the Lehow family lived on a ranch on the south side of the South Platte River, near the town of Kassler, where now only a few buildings still exist. Kassler, located at the base of Waterton Canyon, was a company town developed by the Denver Water Department for its filter plant workers.

The Lehows buried their infant, Charles Oscar Lehow, on a high rise near the town in 1870. His parents and other members of the Lehow family, buried in the late 1870s, surround his stone.

In 1937, the Lehows officially deeded the acreage as the burial place for "direct descendents and spouses of families who lived at the Kassler water filter plant, Waterton, and ranches within a one-mile radius of the cemetery prior to 1954."

During the past 130 years, Shellabargers, Myricks, Slocums, Swans, Woodwards, Van Cleaves, Riddles, Berens, Jenkins, Mitchells, and Wogans were buried there.Ten graves are nameless including one, which says, "Baby" and another that reads: "Man from Willard Filters."

One of the unmarked spaces is rumored to belong to a horse thief who was hanged nearby and then buried there.Some of the graves are of those who died in the flu epidemic in the early twentieth century.Still others were veterans killed in the European, Korean and Vietnam wars.

Sylvia Berens Hill, who grew up in the Kassler/Roxborough area and whose parents are buried there, is the chairwoman of the small board that oversees the care of the cemetery.She and her husband, Leonard, maintain the records, ensure the cemetery is cared for, and that the flag is raised on Memorial Day.

Opening a notebook filled with information about the cemetery, Sylvia points out a surveyed drawing showing 1536 lots.With only a few people buried there each year, fewer than a hundred plots are occupied.

"I don't think we'll ever use them all," she says.

Though the grounds will likey never be filled by early settlers' descendents, the cemetery will remain in clear view of Lockheed Martin's Waterton plant as a testimony to those first residents and the area's rural past.
<a href="http://denver.yourhub.com/Roxborough/Stories/Local-History/History/Story~430513.aspx">Denver Post 'Your Hub' Roxborough</a>

Post subject:
Post Posted: Jul 15, 2008 2:04 pm 
Quote:
Hello Friends of the Roxborough Historical Society,

Our next program is a tour of the historic Kassler Water Treatment Plant and company town of Kassler. This facility was considered to be the most technically advanced system west of the Mississippi when it opened in 1904. Joining us for the tour will be Rusty Simon who worked for 40 years at the plant and Bob Swan who grew up in Kassler. In addition Bob Swan has offered to take interested persons up to the Lehow Cemetery which is the resting place for many of the early families of this area.

We will meet at 10 am in the Waterton Canyon Parking lot on Tuesday August 12th. Please wear comfortable clothing, walking shoes and consider bringing a hat and drinking water. Please e-mail roxhistory@q.com or call 303-973-8622 for a reservation for this program.

Looking forward to seeing you in August.

Susie Trumble
Roxborough Area Historical Society
303-973-8622
roxhistory@q.com

Post subject:
Post Posted: Dec 10, 2008 8:00 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
<a href="http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=cr&CRid=2174103&CScnty=270&CSsr=21&">Lehow Cemetery</a> - Find a Grave - Lists of 69 interments, photos of some Tombsones, Map location of cemetery.

Post subject:
Post Posted: Dec 10, 2008 9:13 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Ohhh, I love old cemetaries. I photograph them, then research. It is pretty cool!

Post subject:
Post Posted: Dec 10, 2008 9:20 pm 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
I have run by that cemetery a number of times when I worked at the facility. It is, indeed, an interesting place. Have to be careful for rattlesnakes sitting inside some of the holes in the stone fence nearby on the dirt road. Thanks for the post.

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ]