:rose: Community Memorials Where We Remember Those We Have Lost :rose:

Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject:
Post Posted: Jul 22, 2012 9:48 am 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
JMiller wrote:
I may be able to help. Just two days ago some guy tried to deliver an ATV and the directions he pulled from the internet brought him right to my door.

But I didn't order an ATV.....

I will log in later and see how I can participate.

So NOW I know where my ATV is ;)

A woman uses her intelligence to find reasons to support her intuition.
G. K. Chesterson

Post subject:
Post Posted: Jul 22, 2012 9:54 am 
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
Great Project !

and I am sure this would be a huge + for local and federal firefighting agencies to know hidden access/ egress points with just how far certain roads and paths go into the forest.
Outdated mapping, roads pushed thru further by whomever, trails that existed long ago and now unused, new trails, current conditions etc etc.As in this recent Derringer fire where they took some time to figure how to get into that spot.

During Fire events /rescue I have heard many times the phrase: " Well we just don't know yet exactly how to get in close " or " it took longer than expected due to difficult access to the area"

Google maps,et al. can go only go so far when using Sat data ( imagery) that is not current.

When more people get involved the info flows pretty rapidly. Case in point over at MountainProject a climbing website, Climbers who are members of the site can post per each individual climbing area updated info per road, parking, trails, conditions, closed areas due to landowner desires etc. after they have been to it.
An immense source of info given the large forested areas up here.

Post subject: Our Streets
Post Posted: Jul 22, 2012 10:10 am 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
UPS tried to deliver a package at Christmas time. Not our address? Actually the address was a number between ours & neighbors ! took a week to get UPS to pick it up ! ha

I just signed up for the mapping system - not hard - added Pine Jt post office - not hard but wanted to add a pile of dirt, couldn't find a symbol or how to add a symbol - will keep looking

Post subject: OpenStreetMap
Post Posted: Jul 22, 2012 10:52 am 
Infrequent Pinecam poster
A big thanks to xenon for getting folks interested in OpenStreetMap (OSM)! I'd be that guy in Bailey that's spent hundreds of hours contributing to the map (not just Bailey, but all over). I've 'adopted' Park County, as my hope was that Jeffco folks would eventually come around, although I just couldn't let Conifer/Aspen Park go without at least matching if not beating Google/Bing in detail. I also am affiliated with a couple non-profits that are in the disaster arena, so I typically put lots of effort to map areas around wildfire incidents - so, yes, OSM is being used in official capacities as well.

Anyway, I've been an OSM contributor for several years now and actually have given multiple presentations regarding OSM, including speaking at the State Of The Map (SOTM) 2011, which is the international OSM conference (it happened to be in Denver last summer, first time in the U.S.) So, I'd gladly talk to interested folks and/or do some sort of class, in the meantime there are lots of other resources to get you started, here are a few:
- Beginner's Guide: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Beginners%27_guide
- Main Wiki Page (use this to search for proper tagging/etc.): http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Main_Page
- Colorado's own OSM group: http://www.meetup.com/OSM-Colorado/

Let me know if there is any other way I can help!
Russell Deffner

Post subject:
Post Posted: Jul 22, 2012 11:08 am 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
I've just signed up xenon and russdeffner. Thanks for the beginner's guide link, russdeffner. This is some project and sounds like fun. I live off of park 72 in burland ranchettes subdivision. I'll try to do some here and there in my spare time. If there is a class, I would also be interested in attending.

Post subject:
Post Posted: Jul 22, 2012 11:09 am 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Thanks Russell, I was hoping you'd chime in here.

Yes, the first responder and disaster management issue is not to be overlooked. Many times we hear first responders referring to locations or landmarks that maybe we don't know how to locate. Similarly, they always can benefit from knowing about the accurate state of trails and roads and other important features.

I think it would be really useful to have a face to face meetup to discuss the basics, and maybe go over which areas need work and who knows them well enough to take them on.

Post subject:
Post Posted: Jul 22, 2012 11:20 am 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
Thank you for doing this, but there is one error that I found on the street names. Deer Creek Valley Ranchos - Hangman's Road comes to a T at Rustler's Road, Rustlers Road is a loop and intersects Tincup Terrace two times, it does continue up the hill to Desparado Road. I do not live on Hangman's Road, but live on Rustlers Road.

I would change this if I knew how to.

Post subject:
Post Posted: Jul 22, 2012 11:36 am 
mozartsmom wrote:
Thank you for doing this, but there is one error that I found on the street names. Deer Creek Valley Ranchos - Hangman's Road comes to a T at Rustler's Road, Rustlers Road is a loop and intersects Tincup Terrace two times, it does continue up the hill to Desparado Road. I do not live on Hangman's Road, but live on Rustlers Road.

I would change this if I knew how to.

That's the idea! Getting folks who have local knowledge to contribute. Even if you don't know how/don't want to learn how to fix it yourself, there are other ways to contribute, like posting the issue you found using one of the following 'bug reporting' sites:
- OpenStreetBugs: http://www.osmbugs.org/
- MapDust: http://www.mapdust.com/

A brief background for the U.S. - in order to speed things up, the TIGER road data was imported in 2007; so most of that data was from the 2000 census. That's why most of rural U.S. is in rather poor condition.

I typical begin by 'armchair' correcting the geometry of the roads, then ideally either someone like mozartsmom who has the local knowledge of street names, etc. can fix that stuff - not so ideal would be me having to drive every road in Park County to verify those things.

Post subject:
Post Posted: Jul 22, 2012 11:47 am 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
mozartsmom, we'd love to show you how to make fixes like this.

This is exactly what we want to foster, people being able to fix things based on their own knowledge.

Imagine if some emergency was going on and somebody was relying out cruddy outdated map data to respond, and got lost as a result. That would be a really bad deal.

Here's a tutorial video on editing OpenStreetMap with their built-on editing tool, called "Potlatch":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Kd3S53CXQs

I haven't watched it yet myself so I can't comment on how up to date it is, but it ought to get you started.

Post subject: Tutorials and comparison tools
Post Posted: Jul 22, 2012 11:56 am 
I'd be wary on any tutorials for Potlatch, as the default editor is now Potlatch 2; which long story short P2 is much better and user friendly in my opinion.

Also on a side note, if you want to compare OSM to 'other' maps; here's a fun tool:
http://tools.geofabrik.de/mc/?mt0=mapni ... 99&zoom=17

That link will show you the Platte Canyon campus on OSM versus Google.

Post subject:
Post Posted: Jul 22, 2012 1:28 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Good point. If you are aware of any P2 tutorial videos, let me know.

Post subject:
Post Posted: Jul 22, 2012 2:34 pm 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
Signed up X and going to help. Tried adding a frequently visited building in Bailey and it seemed straight forward, but going to look through the site information more.

Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next