It is currently Jul 20, 2018 4:30 am 

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: RIP High Timber Times
Post Posted: Oct 19, 2016 9:48 am 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
It’s time to say goodbye to an old friend. The Evergreen Newspapers Canyon Courier has swallowed up the identity of The High Timber Times starting today. Promises are that the combined paper will include Conifer, Pine, Bailey and Morrison stories. But basically the coverage will center on Evergreen. I’ve been a High Timber Times subscriber since October, 1980 and feel it's sad that our local identity is being swept into the phrase “...unite our communities with a reliable local source of information, advertising and online content.” I understand the need for economy and that newspapers have to be efficient or die. But it doesn’t take the sting out of losing an old friend. And to the three, Tim Zeman, Publisher, Tom Fildey, Circulation, and Doug Bell, Editor, who signed the notification “flyer” (formated as a letter but not in an envelope to give the announcement some dignity), I think you should have acknowledged what economic reasons led you to this decision. The flyer’s content “...an exciting improvement to our news and advertising coverage” reeks of marketing sugar-coated reasoning. With this trite phrase you've destroyed the professionalism that the name High Timber Times so proudly displayed.

Post subject: Re: RIP High Timber Times
Post Posted: Oct 19, 2016 10:17 am 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
Our King's Valley household, in 1975, subscribed to The Fulton (Illinois) Journal, HTT, and Canyon Courier, along with La Voz Nueva and the Herald Dispatch, Ivan Rosenburg publications.

The small town newspaper had its own voice, and reflected the pulse of the town.

When a town goes global and there are no local advertisers left to support the voice, things like this are inevitable.

Post Posted: Oct 19, 2016 10:21 am 
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Prolific Pinecam Poster
This is very sad news.
The weekly High Timber Times was always something I looked forward to very much since I was very young.
RIP HTT

Post Posted: Oct 19, 2016 10:34 am 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
The news is not surprising, but it is still sad.

Post Posted: Oct 19, 2016 11:13 am 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
Evergreen and Conifer had 2 separate newspapers because these two mountain communities are distinctively different, to say the least. Sorry to see the HTT go away :(

Post Posted: Oct 19, 2016 12:48 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Lazierfan wrote:
Our King's Valley household, in 1975, subscribed to The Fulton (Illinois) Journal, HTT, and Canyon Courier, along with La Voz Nueva and the Herald Dispatch, Ivan Rosenburg publications.

The small town newspaper had its own voice, and reflected the pulse of the town.

When a town goes global and there are no local advertisers left to support the voice, things like this are inevitable.

The Herald-Dispatch, "the only newspaper in the world that gives a darn about Southwest Denver".

So many 'little voices' being swallowed up in the name of "progress". Yeah, right. It's all about the money.

Post Posted: Oct 19, 2016 3:02 pm 
Scanner Monitor
Scanner Monitor
:(

It's kind of fun to do the impossible.

Dum spiro spero - While I breathe, I hope.

Post Posted: Oct 19, 2016 4:32 pm 
A sad time for local print media.

Post Posted: Oct 20, 2016 9:00 am 
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
I am SO sorry to read this. I just renewed my subscription with Doug(circ) and never said anything.

Post Posted: Oct 20, 2016 10:12 am 
New Poster
I will not renew.

Post Posted: Oct 20, 2016 10:40 am 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
ScottB wrote:
It’s time to say goodbye to an old friend. The Evergreen Newspapers Canyon Courier has swallowed up the identity of The High Timber Times starting today. Promises are that the combined paper will include Conifer, Pine, Bailey and Morrison stories. But basically the coverage will center on Evergreen. I’ve been a High Timber Times subscriber since October, 1980 and feel it's sad that our local identity is being swept into the phrase “...unite our communities with a reliable local source of information, advertising and online content.” I understand the need for economy and that newspapers have to be efficient or die. But it doesn’t take the sting out of losing an old friend. And to the three, Tim Zeman, Publisher, Tom Fildey, Circulation, and Doug Bell, Editor, who signed the notification “flyer” (formated as a letter but not in an envelope to give the announcement some dignity), I think you should have acknowledged what economic reasons led you to this decision. The flyer’s content “...an exciting improvement to our news and advertising coverage” reeks of marketing sugar-coated reasoning. With this trite phrase you've destroyed the professionalism that the name High Timber Times so proudly displayed.

:yeah that:
Media and honestly being one and the same are having a real hard time recently. There is no way that the 285 corridor will be served in the same way with the "new" Canyon Corridor. I can't imagine that economics would even be much better as it seems like the advertisers will not like losing the option of advertising specifically in one area or the other. It is so sad that the whole newspaper industry is disappearing.

Post Posted: Oct 23, 2016 9:34 pm 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
Lazierfan wrote:

Mrs. BGR here. I've been thinking on this all week.
I was the founding editor of the High Timber Times. There was a big to-do about separating the publication of this paper from the Canyon Courier. Then and now the two papers had a common publisher. The whole small chain of weekly newspapers was sold years ago and has changed ownership a time or two.

The then readers of the Canyon Courier who lived on the 285 corridor were given the opportunity to name the new Conifer newspaper. Many put forward names and the High Timber Times was selected. I was hired to found the new paper and we hired a small staff. Ellen Stiner was associate editor and for years she carried the weight of reporting the news on the corridor while I fumbled about creating an identity for the publication. The community along 285, then and now, was totally amazing and the stories that came forth were award-winning from year one.

Hmmm. I wonder what the owners of the Canyon Courier will do with the dozens and dozens of awards earned by the High Timber Times over the years. I know I would like to see some of them...

The paper has been published for 39 years. The first edition hit the news stands on June 28, 1977. The paper had stories of fire training among the departments - Inter-Canyon, Indian Hills and Elk Creek. Victims donning mock blood were scattered over the pavement, awaiting triage. Before my time was done at the paper, I had witnessed and written about so many victims along Highway 285 covered in anything but mock blood.

I wept with your families in disaster. I took joy in the achievements of your children. I worked hard to understand your governments, and fought when their decrees were unjust. I photographed the opening of your businesses and celebrated the victories of your non-profits. Your achievements were mine and your grief took part of me. The High Timber Times will forever be my baby. You have lost something important. That loss is mine, too.
Cheryl Johnson Quaintance, Mrs. BGR

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next