It is currently Aug 21, 2019 8:33 pm 

Post your images and discussions about Colorado flora and fauna here.

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Other Food?
Post Posted: May 5, 2019 8:19 am 
Scanner Monitor
Scanner Monitor
What you you put in your regular seed mix? I have black oily, thistle, and peanuts, both in an out of shell. In other feeders I have suet and thistle.

What else could I add? I think I've heard safflower. Do you use that? Others?

Thanks!

It's kind of fun to do the impossible.

Life changes.

Post subject: Re: Other Food?
Post Posted: May 5, 2019 9:42 am 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
aspenleaf wrote:
What you you put in your regular seed mix? I have black oily, thistle, and peanuts, both in an out of shell. In other feeders I have suet and thistle.
What else could I add? I think I've heard safflower. Do you use that? Others?

Thanks!

That's what we use, and not many peanuts because of the Red Fox Squirrels. We use a variety of feeders - flat platform, tube and suet cage. Every feeder has nearby trees for shelter and security - mostly Aspen. We also provide fresh water everyday and close to the feeders - also with nearby protection. Providing water brings in many more birds. They found the water during the really dry years and have returned regularly.

We start with a tiny little Hummingbird feeder every year and then move to larger and larger ones as the number of birds increases. Easier to keep the nectar fresh that way.
Mrs. BGR

Post Posted: May 15, 2019 3:11 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
Aspenleaf--do you know what magpies normally eat? Audubon said they are scavengers, ground feeders--insects, road kill, seeds, etc. But I just saw one deliberately attack and kill a poor little woodpecker that was trying to carve out a nest hole in a big aspen tree. Nasty, nasty bird. Is this usual? In all my years up here I never saw that kind of behavior from magpies or even crows or ravens. Lord knows there are enough of them scavenging around stables. Magpies don't nest near my house so it wasn't territorial either.

Post Posted: May 16, 2019 12:15 am 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
I toss puppy chow out into yard for the crows, magpies, and stellars jays. it helps to keep them off the feeders. I like them around because they keep the hawks away.
I only use black oil sunflower seeds in all feeders. I keep a bag of shelled sunflower seeds that I toss a hand full out onto deck (under roof) for the little tweets that like to eat off the ground (junco and chickadees mostly). I toss out peanuts that drive the red squirrels crazy, they run off and bury them. I also keep grapes that I feed the squirrels. Yes, they are spoiled.
I only use small hummingbird feeders to not waste food if it doesn't get consumed in a week. They all get cleaned and refilled once a week.
Lots of suet feeders. all have additional support attached to let the larger birds land and feed easily.

If you have a pet you wish to add to the Rainbow Bridge Site, please either post in the Pet Forum Rainbow Bridge Page viewtopic.php?f=85&t=78851 or PM me with pet names you would like them added. If you have others already there, please give me their names so I can add your pet with them.

Post Posted: May 16, 2019 7:27 am 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
We put out safflower seeds all year. The chickadees and nuthatch love them and the squirrels don't. Have done sunflower chips which nearly all birds seem to love. We have two Niger thistle seed feeders which really attract the pine sisken, even in the winter. We'll scatter black sunflower seeds, peanuts and corn kernels on the ground, which last year brought a new bird to us, the Clark's Nutcracker. We've learned that the more variety of seed, the more variety of birds. We have several water dishes and when it is finally done freezing overnight, we'll start up our small water fountains. Also, Pine Country Feed is a great local source to buy seed in bulk at some of the lowest prices around. For suet cakes, when they are on sale, Moore Lumber and Ace Hardware in Pine Junction is where we stock up.

Post Posted: May 16, 2019 9:24 am 
Scanner Monitor
Scanner Monitor
seiralady, I wish I knew how to keep magpies away. They like the suet I put out. I keep all of those feeders within a foot of the house and leave pieces of old cakes out where they reach them. They stop by, take a couple chomps and leave for the rest of the day. Lately they haven't been around, too much. They are more of a winter bird here.

I have heard of feeding safflower to the little guys and Jays. Does anybody do that up here? I want to try if others have had success. I see that Northern Flickers can be fed meat. Ummm... Meat not happening. :lol:

Life changes.

Post Posted: May 16, 2019 9:31 am 
Scanner Monitor
Scanner Monitor
bikesforothers wrote:
We put out safflower seeds all year. The chickadees and nuthatch love them and the squirrels don't. Have done sunflower chips which nearly all birds seem to love. We have two Niger thistle seed feeders which really attract the pine sisken, even in the winter. We'll scatter black sunflower seeds, peanuts and corn kernels on the ground, which last year brought a new bird to us, the Clark's Nutcracker. We've learned that the more variety of seed, the more variety of birds. We have several water dishes and when it is finally done freezing overnight, we'll start up our small water fountains. Also, Pine Country Feed is a great local source to buy seed in bulk at some of the lowest prices around. For suet cakes, when they are on sale, Moore Lumber and Ace Hardware in Pine Junction is where we stock up.

Safflowers stirred in with your usual regular mix, or put in its own area?

Life changes.

Post Posted: May 18, 2019 7:21 am 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
Some of the pre-mixed seed we buy has safflower seeds in it. We buy the safflower seed by itself and put in some decorative hollowed-out gourds that we cut holes in just slightly larger than chickadees. Provides hours of bird-watching fun.

Post Posted: May 18, 2019 8:00 am 
Scanner Monitor
Scanner Monitor
That's a fun idea!

Life changes.

Post Posted: May 18, 2019 6:38 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
Bikes--the gourd does sound like fun! I had a pair of house finches desperately trying to nest under the eave over my front door, so I cut a basket in half and nailed it to the molding up high--she squirted those eggs out like an overdue woman in an ambulance! It's fun to help the critters. And I like everyone's input on what the birds like to eat and where. Someone in a magazine said that filling pine cones with seed mixed with peanut butter would attract winter birds. I tried it one Christmas and guess who ate it? The deer!

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ]