It is currently Jul 6, 2020 4:58 am 

If you enter a post in this forum that violates the Pinecam Terms of Service,
you may get a suspension with no warning.

note: quotes must be 4 or fewer sentences/the source cited, by URL if online

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Re: Elect Katie Spodyak Park County Commissioner District #1
Post Posted: Jun 17, 2020 4:54 pm 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
Scalawagy wrote:
Could others in the "community" not learn something from answers to my questions?

It was a candidate for commissioner, who raised the topic.

Isn't this candidate running for county commissioner? If so, she should be able to answer the questions?

MtRider wrote:
scalawagy, just a suggestion, this being a community page, may I suggest you attempt (as you admit your "complete ignorance" you try to discover on your own? Have a discussion with your county commissioner? I am sure he/she can answer many of your questions. Just saying... it is why we elect representatives to represent you!

Post Posted: Jun 17, 2020 11:22 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
Ahab1 wrote:
I was hoping you had some original ideas for the jail. This issue was discussed repeatedly during the sheriff's election, and I am looking for a candidate who has a true vision (new ideas and prioritized actions to present to others in meetings) to help the situation.

Actually, the idea of working together with the Sheriff's Office, the courts, the District Attorney's Office and Probations to utilize partnerships within the county is not something I have heard before. This will get people involved who use the jail and help to make sure decisions moving forward are effective, efficient and safe. Why not work together with those who are part of the county justice system to make sure we have a solution that is specific to our county's needs?

Post Posted: Jun 17, 2020 11:46 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
Scalawagy wrote:
It was stated that the Jail, "is one of the highest, if not the highest liabilities for the county, due to numerous reasons"
Could you, Katie, or any one else, list at least some of those reasons? Then perhaps, we could discuss them.

I would hope to hear some ideas for solutions to the problems, not just promises to try to find solutions.

That is a great question! The jail in any county will be one of the highest, if not the highest, liabilities for the county. This is not specific to Park County and really isn't avoidable in general, it is just a fact. First, just the dynamics alone create a liability. The jail houses criminals. Many may be in the jail because they hurt someone. Just because they are in jail, doesn't mean they will suddenly stop the criminal behavior. They may still try to hurt someone (an employee, another inmate or themselves) or they may try to bring contraband into the jail. There are many examples. The additional liability happens because the inmates are the responsibility of the county while they are in the jail. So, if an inmate hurts someone (employee, another inmate or themselves), not only is that inmate responsible (as they would be if they hurt someone outside of the jail), but now the county is also responsible as the inmates are in the care of the county. This would apply to any other criminal type activity as well.

Beyond that, Park County also has some specific challenges that brings additional liability beyond other jails. Park County's location is challenging. The altitude brings additional concerns and potential health issues. In addition to that, the lack of a close hospital or medical facility (beyond the recent addition of the Doctor in Fairplay) poses additional liability if any issues arise.

"tmjbp" also brought some valid points in his response. I would also add that when the jail was originally expanded, it was completed with an estimated capacity of 300 inmates. Due to the changes in laws and requirements, the capacity is now less than half of that (mostly due to a lack of common areas).

As I mentioned earlier, I think that coming up with a specific plan for Park County, utilizing partnerships within the county's justice system, will be very important. Current climate and issues will need to be thoroughly evaluated to make sure that we make thoughtful decisions moving forward. The jail has only paid for itself one year. If you look at the expenses, year to year, they are relatively stagnant (if you account for inflation). The jail's costs have not increased significantly. The major difference is that the revenue has drastically decreased. The dynamics are completely different now. There are not extra inmates to house and, even if there were, our altitude and location poses the additional risks that are likely not worth it. I can't think of another county department that is required by law to provide a service, that is expected to make a profit. The jail should be no different. The jail is a burden of the county and the taxpayers. It is not a profit making opportunity and it shouldn't be. That being said, we can work hard to make it effective, efficient, safe and specific to the needs of Park County.

Last edited by 285Properties on Jun 19, 2020 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Jun 17, 2020 11:59 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
Scalawagy wrote:
So, the big issue is, we're paying for much more jail than we need. correct?
Forgive me if the questions seem naive, but they come from a position of complete ignorance about our Jail.
I assume the place was built with a bond of some sort, How many years are left on it?
How many Square feet of space are going unused? Could this space be better used by the sheriff's dept. or other county departments? Perhaps freeing up space in other buildings that could be leased out?
Would this type of remodel even be feasible? or does the entire building need to be remodeled and the jail moved to a smaller facility?

I am responding to these separately to try to make sure I cover them all. I don't think these are naive; I appreciate you asking as I am sure many others are wondering as well. If you don't have direct experience with it, why would you know?

The jail is paid for. The expansion was done with a bond but nothing more is owed on it.

I covered this in my previous response, but just to reiterate the jail was originally expanded to 300 capacity. It is now less than half of that due to different regulations and particularly due to lack of common areas. My understanding is that the facility is out of date. It was created in "pods" that could be separately shut down if needed. Requirements have changed significantly since it was expanded. The personnel cost is also pretty set for the jail whether there is one inmate or many (obviously increasing with a significant increase of inmates). There needs to be a set number of people to run and operate the jail safely and that number can't be cut down. This is something that I don't think people really realize until they understand it better as it did come up in discussions during the Commissioner budget meetings this year.

The jail building is being utilized by the Sheriff's Office currently; that is where their main office is. There are several options (remodel, new facility, etc.) and whatever decisions are made will need to be a very thoughtful. The idea for the jail to make a profit was probably creative and sounded good at the time, but not viable and something we as county citizens have be stuck with since.

Again, thanks for asking!

Last edited by 285Properties on Jun 19, 2020 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Jun 18, 2020 8:23 am 
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
Thank you Katie, I appreciated reading your responses.

Post subject: Bailey Area Meet and Greet at Cutthroat Cafe Tomorrow
Post Posted: Jun 19, 2020 10:31 am 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
Thank you for the great questions and conversation!

I will be at the Cutthroat Cafe tomorrow morning if you would like to swing by!

Come grab some breakfast from the Cutthroat and visit with me! I will be in the outside seating area for an informal Meet and Greet. Stop by, meet me, ask questions and support a great local restaurant.

If you can't make it and have questions, please reach out. My website is http://www.katieforcommissioner.com and has lots of information about me. You can also email me (info@katieforcommissioner.com) or give me a call (720-924-1440).

Post subject: Today is Election Day! Please Vote!
Post Posted: Jun 30, 2020 9:44 am 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
Today is election day! Your ballot must be received by 7pm tonight in order to count. Please drop in one of the offical box locations or vote in person until 7pm at the Clerk's Office in Fairplay or at PCFD Station #2 in Bailey (top of Crow Hill).

Did you know you can check the status of your ballot?

Just click the link below, fill out your information and click the "Ballot Information" tab.

Here is the link: https://www.sos.state.co.us/voter/pages/pub/olvr/findVoterReg.xhtml

I would appreciate your vote!

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2