It is currently May 26, 2019 1:04 pm 

Do you or someone you know need some help with a project?
Click here to contact the Neighborhood Action Team.

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Missing Couple Please Share (They were found OK)
Post Posted: May 10, 2019 9:24 am 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
From a publicly shared FB post yesterday:

Repost and sharing from 303 Trail Monitor-
"Hi trail lovers. This is Heather and Dave, they have been missing since Sunday. Their car was found in the Kenosha pass area when they had a backpacking trip planned Sunday-Tuesday but have not returned. If you have seen them please reach out! Park County search and rescue has been out looking since mid day today."

https://www.facebook.com/mnstegall/post ... 84?__xts__[0]=68.ARA0ZuOUvAOq5q3InvzyfLmBnkhS964ZF1ViVQc3ZOF6LhAKX0b9Tlj0mJKdb9FcCAtZ0rAeAYHCcp9IIjs2O1IijjNxawcw8z2pX5FN-n-aJLgCFjrXFUlJSAZSrhG-1Vjz6bSUV3f92GdKcWjGxX1XD4uRV1Bcyy0LwH75Dp_z3Om2s89VJ2CRUlv2RQF97_c-lFmDzQNlBKd0Y6xKq-L5zRxAG2JA1QBCIr9prwYZyA-AhjTYiGuhINxRNQHuUbvfvH4jkUnNxq2PG-XD9qlPJI3AKMR_X862HPrw0pRtn-6vOqzAZNVtfItkE8HFdnZMTy0&__tn__=K-R0.g

Post subject: Re: Missing Couple Please Share
Post Posted: May 11, 2019 9:59 am 
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Prolific Pinecam Poster
The news last night indicated that they had been spotted, by helicopter. Do you know if they got them out yet?

Post Posted: May 11, 2019 10:17 am 
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
News is they have been located.

Post Posted: May 11, 2019 8:01 pm 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
I found a site that gives the most current update. Great news they were rescued today and now safe, sound and sleeping in their home :)

https://denver.cbslocal.com/2019/05/11/ ... ckcountry/

At 6:20 a.m., the Skillmans exited the snowy wilderness at the Goose Creek Trailhead.
“It was a massive undertaking,” Sheriff McGraw said. “Three days, thirty-five to forty people over those three days. They’re all at home sleeping now.”

Post Posted: May 13, 2019 8:13 am 
Scanner Monitor
Scanner Monitor
How relieved their family and friends must be.

It's kind of fun to do the impossible.

Be compassionate, understanding and kind. You never know who is
this close to giving up.

Post Posted: May 15, 2019 12:27 pm 
Definitely some lessons to be learned from this story for novice backcountry hikers. This couple made many mistakes, first and foremost heading into the high country too early in the season. It is SO easy to lose the trail when there's snow on the ground. Simply checking in with the local ranger station/blm office/etc for trail conditions before heading out can save your life. The one crucial thing they did get right...letting a friend know their itinerary. Always, always, ALWAYS let somebody trustworthy know where you're going, what your timeline is, and that you'll be checking in with them when you come out. This couple would probably be dead if they hadn't taken that step.

This time of year is very unpredictable in the backcountry; bad trail conditions, freak blizzards, flash floods, and VERY HUNGRY BEARS! My wife, our three large dogs, and I did a spring trip several years ago in the exact same area as this couple. We got hit by an evening hail storm and took shelter in the outbuilding for the old dam up at the top of Goose/Lost Creek. Since it was getting dark we decided to just pitch our tent inside the cabin and I found a wedge shaped rock to jam the door closed with. We assumed any bear would smell our dogs and decide the risk wasn't worth the meal, so we kept our food and hygiene kit inside the cabin with us instead of hanging them. BIG mistake for a VERY experienced couple of hikers. At around 2am I woke up to the distinct sound of a black bear sniffing and snorting through the old, empty window frame of the cabin. I woke my wife up and we started yelling at the bear and got our dogs barking. It went away for about 15 minutes, then came back and started pushing on the door. I've been carrying a .40 cal in the backcountry for two decades and thousands of trail miles, and this is the only time I've fired it...two warning shots out the window and that bear ran away and never came back. I still get chills thinking what might have happened if I was unarmed and that bear had gotten into the cabin.

There's a saying, "I'd rather be good than lucky." To expand on that; I'd rather be prepared, educated, and capable of making relatively intelligent split-second decisions...than lucky. It's a constant process. Be safe out there!

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ]