It is currently Jan 27, 2020 12:30 pm 

Do you or someone you know need some help with a project?
Click here to contact the Neighborhood Action Team.

Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Re: Coleman trucks
Post Posted: Jan 26, 2019 6:10 pm 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
I am not sure what their final destination is up here but I do know that their starting point is in the Brighton/Ft Lupton area. I can tell you that Coleman is a Colorado owned company and a company that is committed to ensuring highway safety with their trucks and drivers.

Post Posted: Jan 26, 2019 6:40 pm 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
I would be curious to know how much this company pays in road taxes. Hoping it covers the extra wear and tear on 285 they cause. You can see the pavement is wearing quickly under the increased traffic and larger number of 18 wheelers vs prior years. Also hope they cover my next broken windshield too. To be fair, I've not had a rock hit my vehicle from a Coleman truck. Aggregate Industries trucks, on the other hand have nailed my windshield at least 3 times over the years. Guess it's part of living in the ROCKY mountains.

Post Posted: Jan 26, 2019 10:43 pm 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
I've seen them for at least a year. I've never had any issue with them, but I have noticed that they do not have Colorado license plates. I don't know the details of commercial registration, but if they are doing that to avoid paying Colorado taxes it seems wrong. Those trucks are obviously carrying heavy loads and are probably responsible for a significant portion of the wear and tear on 285. Hopefully that are paying their fair share.

Post Posted: Sep 10, 2019 2:23 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Looking for an update on this issue. I see about 10-15 of these trucks every day on the commute to and from work. Also, noticing lots of wear and tear on 285 now. Does anyone know if this company is taking any financial responsibility in the form of taxes, etc? They are also causing an issue during rush hour by forcing cars to slow down significantly to pass them. Not a big deal if there was only a few but dealing with 10 each morning is getting old.

Post Posted: Sep 10, 2019 4:23 pm 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
Not just them but ALL trucks. I think that is the biggest change in the last three years driving 285 as years ago trucks avoided 285 because it was too dangerous. It still IS too dangerous and between the trucks and increased tourist traffic, 285 is deteriorating rapidly and it isn't getting better soon. I can't wait to see the delays when repaving or when and if any improvements are made.

Post Posted: Sep 10, 2019 4:51 pm 
Infrequent Pinecam poster
Infrequent Pinecam poster
Kuruk wrote:
Looking for an update on this issue. I see about 10-15 of these trucks every day on the commute to and from work. Also, noticing lots of wear and tear on 285 now. Does anyone know if this company is taking any financial responsibility in the form of taxes, etc? They are also causing an issue during rush hour by forcing cars to slow down significantly to pass them. Not a big deal if there was only a few but dealing with 10 each morning is getting old.

"Financial responsibility"? They pay road taxes based on mileage just like EVERY OTHER commercial truck does.

Post Posted: Sep 10, 2019 5:21 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
The issue may not be how much they pay, rather how much damage to the roads. How many accidents caused by what is definitely too many trucks on the road at the same times. It has changed so much in the last few years that it is frustrating to drive around, behind the multitude. I have often had two side by side in front of me. One blew a tire in front of my neighbor and damaged his car when the pieces hit him. I have gone through two windshields and the second was a truck coming towards me in oncoming lane. 5" rock hit my window so hard I swerved and almost went off road. Last was one with building materials. Sheetrock piece blew off, just missed me. Hit car behind me and they went off the road but luckily stayed upright.
Why I whine about this? That is three just from me and I don't drive much.
Why are there so many trucks on 285?

Post Posted: Sep 10, 2019 7:13 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Add to that the number of "WIDE LOADS" during the day. I planted a thought with the sheriff that whoever issues the travel permits on State Highway 285, should stipulate a window of time in the early, early morning hours.

"No good deed goes unpunished." - Clare Boothe Luce

Post Posted: Sep 10, 2019 8:12 pm 
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Prolific Pinecam Poster
what a bunch of whiners! don't you need some cheese with that?
The commercial vehicles are paying their taxes too. As I remember we had several road improvement measures on the ballot last election and we, as a state voted them down!
The last major windshield breakage I had was a south bound passenger car that hit a deer and sent it flying into my north bound car!
Should I be asking the police to restrict other cars while I'm driving? or should I be complaining to the fish and game dept about when the deer are allowed to cross the road?

Deal with It!

Post Posted: Sep 10, 2019 9:54 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
We should not have to "deal with it." Ten years ago 285 should have been completed into a larger highway with a median. I believe it would have been good to plan ahead. Is I-70 still 2 or 3 lanes in several places? Do we have to just deal with a major roadway never finished to deal with future traffic?
Then truck traffic should at least be timed better as Copadrino stated.

Post Posted: Sep 10, 2019 10:16 pm 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
Scalawagy wrote:
what a bunch of whiners! don't you need some cheese with that?
The commercial vehicles are paying their taxes too. As I remember we had several road improvement measures on the ballot last election and we, as a state voted them down!
The last major windshield breakage I had was a south bound passenger car that hit a deer and sent it flying into my north bound car!
Should I be asking the police to restrict other cars while I'm driving? or should I be complaining to the fish and game dept about when the deer are allowed to cross the road?

Deal with It!

How about YOU dealing with the fact that forums like this are a perfectly reasonable place to discuss probably the worse part of living here - HWY 285!

I've never understood people whining about whiners (which they usually aren't to start.) How about moving on and just not read or waste your time reading forums you obviously don't care about anyway?? I also bet you have "whined" a.k.a. "gave your opinion" about a topic here in the past.

Post Posted: Sep 11, 2019 7:21 am 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
The issue is, once again, the same. There are too many people making too many more people on this planet requiring and using up too many resources. Those resources have to come from somewhere and be transported somewhere else where they are needed. Damage to the infrastructure is inevitable.

Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next