It is currently Oct 18, 2019 10:44 pm 

Do you or someone you know need some help with a project?
Click here to contact the Neighborhood Action Team.

Reply to topic  [ 5001 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 412, 413, 414, 415, 416, 417  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Re: Interesting Facts
Post Posted: Oct 5, 2019 8:24 am 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
Where Are We Now?

===============

Hint:

===============

We are here.

"People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do." ~ Isaac Asimov

Post Posted: Oct 5, 2019 10:07 am 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
I'm guessing South Georgia Island

"Sunshine is delicious, rain is refreshing, wind braces us up, snow is exhilarating; there is really no such thing as bad weather, only different kinds of good weather" - John Ruskin

Post Posted: Oct 5, 2019 10:11 am 
I peaked so can't guess but that sure looks like a wonderful place to live.

What ever in the world is that on the plate in the image below the lobster image. It looks like a bug.

Post Posted: Oct 5, 2019 11:59 am 
TillerBee wrote:
I peaked so can't guess but that sure looks like a wonderful place to live.

What ever in the world is that on the plate in the image below the lobster image. It looks like a bug.

I don't know what that is, TB.

"People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do." ~ Isaac Asimov

Post Posted: Oct 5, 2019 12:11 pm 
Could it be a cooked lobster tail with the feelers crossed over the body?

Post Posted: Oct 5, 2019 12:19 pm 
TillerBee wrote:
Could it be a cooked lobster tail with the feelers crossed over the body?

Close enough for me. :)

Post Posted: Oct 6, 2019 8:13 am 
Which Country Consumes The Most Calories Per Capita?

If you’re on a diet, the worst place to visit is Ireland.

Agencies of the United Nations have found that the minimum number of calories the average person should consume each day is 2,600.

2,600 calories

A few years ago, the average citizen of Ireland consumed 3,410 calories a day, the highest average of any nation on earth.

3410 calories

The United States ranks fourth, with an average of 3,330 calories per person each day. Well, we’ll just have to see about that!

Post Posted: Oct 7, 2019 8:23 am 
Anna May Wong

Widely considered to be the first Chinese-American movie star in Hollywood, Wong was also the first Chinese-American actress to be recognized on an international level.

Anna May Wong

Wong Liu Tsong was born on the 3rd of January, 1905 in Los Angeles. She was the second of seven children born to second-generation Chinese Americans. Her name, translated literally into English, means “willow frost.” She later changed her name to Anna May Wong.

Anna May Wong

During Wong’s childhood, movie productions first began moving west, leading to movies being shot all across Los Angeles, including where Wong was growing up. It was the beginning of the enormous empire we know today as Hollywood, and it would inspire her to one day join the entertainment industry as an actress.

Making up her mind to become a movie star, she taught herself the craft by studying films playing at local movie theaters. When a casting call for Chinese extras arose, her father’s friend introduced her to the assistant director on Alla Nazimova’s film, The Red Lantern (1919). Anna got an uncredited role as an extra, carrying a lantern, but she said looking back on that day, “I felt sure that I’d see my name in electric lights before long.”

Scene fron “The Red Lantern”

When Anna turned seventeen, she landed a role in The Toll of the Sea (1922), a silent version of Madame Butterfly. Over time, she developed a fan-base. On-screen, she was the mysterious, wicked, exotic dragon lady or Mongol slave. Off-screen, she was the model of a young American modern flapper. As recounted by historian Graham Russell Gao Hodges, journalist Myrtle Gebhart interviewed Anna for Screenland in 1922, and recalled Anna’s greeting as she emerged from her family’s laundry, “My, that’s a nifty car. It’s the kitty’s eyebrows, what?”

Toll of the Sea

She worked in the US and Europe during the 1930s, notably in Shanghai Express with Marlene Dietrich (1932). However, she was severely disappointed by Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer’s refusal to consider her for the leading role of O-Lan in the film version of Pearl S. Buck’s The Good Earth. MGM chose instead the German actress Luise Rainer.

Shanghai Express

The 5'7"-tall beauty was known as the world's best-dressed woman and widely considered to have the loveliest hands in the cinema. Her big breakthrough after her auspicious start with "The Toll of the Sea" finally came when Douglas Fairbanks cast her in a supporting role as a treacherous Mongol slave in his Middle Eastern/Arabian Nights extravaganza The Thief of Bagdad (1924). The $2-million blockbuster production made her known to critics and the movie-going public. For better or worse, a star, albeit of the stereotypical "Dragon Lady" type, was born.

Thief of Bagdad

Anna May Wong died of a massive heart attack on February 3, 1961, in Santa Monica, CA, after a long struggle against Laennec's cirrhosis, a disease of the liver. She was 56 years old.

Ashes interred in mother’s grave

In Depth

Post Posted: Oct 8, 2019 8:42 am 
Piplantri, India

Piplantri - which is built on a hill - lies on the semi-arid land in India’s Rajasthan state.

Yet look down at the undulating landscape below the village and you will see a carpet of green. It wasn’t always so. “In 2005, the drought was so bad the government had to send us water trains,” Ex-Chief Paliwal recalls.

The change began with the trees the then-chief planted in honor of his deceased daughter, Kiran. The 16-year-old died in 2006. Ex-Chief Paliwal kept planting trees throughout the year and urged the other villagers to do likewise. They laid pipes to take water to the saplings, dotted all around. A total of 350,000 trees have been planted.

Ex-elected Chief Shyam Sunder Paliwal

“With this, I’m doing two things: showing joy at the arrival of a daughter and honoring the land where my ancestors lived and died,” says Paliwal.

===============

Personal Note: I went to
at least a dozen websites
trying to find out the significance
of the 111 trees. No luck, sorry. – H

===============

In Depth

Post Posted: Oct 9, 2019 7:48 am 
Was Ferdinand Magellan The First To Circle The Earth?

The answer could be yes . . . and it could be no. It all depends on what you mean by “circling the earth.”

Magellan was the first person to sail completely around the world, but not in one voyage.

Ferdinand Magellan was a Portuguese nobleman. He sailed to the East Indies with the Portuguese navy, then returned to Europe. After a battle in Morocco, he was accused of trading with the enemy, and so he left Portugal and went to Spain. There, he interested the king in his plan to sail around South America and find a route to the East across the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans.

Magellan left Spain in 1519 with five ships. He rounded the southern end of South America through the passage that is now called the Strait of Magellan, then sailed across the ocean that he named the Pacific, because of its gentle winds. It took him 98 days to cross the ocean to the island of Guam, and during that time his men were so hungry, they had to eat sawdust!

In 1521, Magellan reached the Philippines and was killed in a fight with the natives there. But he had already accomplished the feat of sailing around the world, since he had earlier reached the East Indies by sailing around Africa. So Magellan really sailed around the world in two separate voyages!

Some of Magellan’s men left the Philippines, and one ship, the Victoria, reached Europe in 1522 with just 18 men. These men, with their leader, Sebastian del Cano, were the first people to sail around the world in one voyage.

In Depth

Post Posted: Oct 9, 2019 10:39 am 
Scanner Monitor
Scanner Monitor
Gallium is a soft, silvery metal used primarily in electronic circuits, semiconductors and light-emitting diodes (LEDs). It is also useful in high-temperature thermometers, barometers, pharmaceuticals and nuclear medicine tests. Unlike Mercury, is it safe to handle, but not recommended to swallow in large amounts.

Look at what happens from the warmth of your hand when you hold it:

I may not have gone where I intended to go
but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Post Posted: Oct 10, 2019 8:05 am 
Soldier

The word soldier is from the Latin word solidus, meaning a gold coin, because it cost money to raise an army of mercenaries.

Solidus

The word infantry is from infant, with a Latin derivative meaning “non speaking,” because, like children, well-disciplined soldiers never talk back or challenge orders.

Foot soldiers are often called “infantry”.

Curiously, another use of the word soldier is in reference to an army ant, due to the fact that other than humans, ants are the only creatures on earth to go into battle in formation.

In Depth

Reply to topic  [ 5001 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 412, 413, 414, 415, 416, 417  Next