It is currently Oct 18, 2019 11:32 pm 

Do you or someone you know need some help with a project?
Click here to contact the Neighborhood Action Team.

Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Re: 43A/285 Dying @ the Light
Post Posted: Oct 8, 2019 4:34 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Sorry if I misunderstood, sunsetinthepines. I was under the impression from a previous post that you were leaving the area.

If you still plan to be driving this stretch of 285 on a regular basis, then of course your opinion is relevant, to me anyway (whether I agree with it or not). But if you are leaving the area, then I can't see the point of arguing except as sport.

I welcome differing opinions on any topic. But I find it distasteful to argue for sport; unless it is a debate team or such and then there are rules of engagement. Calling people names is not sportsman like.

Continuing to call me clueless, does not make your comment true nor does it strengthen your argument. So please drop it.

And also, please refrain from putting your values on me. You have no idea what I might value as to what constitutes a good place to live.

On a selfish level, I would love to see more and more people move away vs more housing being built. Personally I don't care if housing values go up or down. Doesn't change my basic mortgage payment one iota.

Edited to add: Yeah, what daisypusher said.

As for Keg, I don't understand your argument for arguing no matter how many times you try to explain it. And now I'm at the point where I just don't care any more what you think on the matter.

I'm so done with this thread. :thud:

I look forward to the meeting tomorrow to hear what CDOT has to say and what they plan to do.

Post Posted: Oct 8, 2019 5:55 pm 
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
Engaging with others and noting if/when you have a reaction is good therapy. Strive to be able to engage on any subject and not have any buttons pushed and you will be at peace. Pinecam can be great therapy and a path to enlightenment. 8O 8) :)

Post Posted: Oct 9, 2019 4:47 pm 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
Anyone have any news about the Commissioners/CDOT work session today??
We were unable to attend.
Mrs. BGR

Post Posted: Oct 9, 2019 5:58 pm 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
I'm looking at FB now, this is commentary from those that did attend on the Bailey and Pine page:

1. "Nothing seems to be happening soon. At one point it was said they are hoping to maybe have a preliminary plan next May. It seemed understood that much work needed to be done before they could remove the light. There was talk about a better light, that can be controlled better in terms of switching to a blinking red after certain hours. Shorter waits during the lower traffic times, etc. Not sure what will come of it all, but doesn't seem like anything has been or will be decided until mid next year at the earliest."

2. " The evening meeting has not been scheduled. There was comment that there needed to be one so that folks who were working during this meeting’s time could be there. There was a full house at this one with folks standing out in the hallway as well. The guy expected from CDOT (their traffic expert) was sick and didn’t show up. The person who did come was from Denver and didn’t know the traffic issues like the other guy would have. He said he would pass the ideas along. The next meeting needs to be in a place with more seating and better parking space."

3. " Yes, great turnout. CDOT scheduled rep didn't show and his replacement was 45 minutes late. On a positive note, he seemed attentive and hopefully understood all the negative impacts removing the light could have on local residents."

4. "Overwhelming support for not taking the light out. It seemed to me that cdot is more concerned with those passing thru Bailey than the people who live here."

As I find more I will share.

Post Posted: Oct 9, 2019 6:06 pm 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
Thx Jo , it was my understanding May . We will see thank you

Post Posted: Oct 9, 2019 6:14 pm 
From the Conifer, Bailey and Pine page:

1. "Good turn out. It was brought up to have a meeting in the evening so more could attend. A lot of good points were given, but not a very well planned meeting CDOT showed up 40 minutes late & sent a kid that had no idea what is happening. I wouldn't worry about the light moving anytime soon."

2. "they want folks who live on Roland and Rosalie to drive down to the overpass and uturn back on to 285 to turn right on those respective roads. Everything coming up to, going through and past Bailey will all be right turn only. This isnt just a 43a problem.... this is a much bigger problem."

Post Posted: Oct 9, 2019 6:15 pm 
missfrog wrote:
Thx Jo , it was my understanding May . We will see thank you

youre welcome, that's all I found so far.

Post Posted: Oct 9, 2019 6:16 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Big turn out. :applause: :applause: Standing room only.

Everyone (who spoke up) was against removing the light. In some side conversations a few were okay with light removal YEARS down the line, but only after all the CDOT work is completed to improve the 72/285 interchange and CR43 connection. And others went even further saying that the merge points (Richmond Hill, Pine Junction, Bailey, etc.) need to be eliminated as well before considering removal of the light.

Commissioners echoed our concerns that eliminating the light will indeed present increased safety issues for Bailey residents. They also implied that if the light is removed it would be well into the future (but of course could not give a specific time frame). But they did want to squash the rumor that it would be happening in 2019.

CDOT was represented by someone not familiar with the area or the specific issues. He said he was merely gathering info to pass along to others at CDOT. That was VERY disappointing to me.

Sheriff's department did not send a representative. That too was disappointing to me.

I got the impression that CDOT is going to devise a traffic study for the area starting in May. But later talking to someone else that was there, they didn't hear that. So I could be mistaken.

LOTS of ideas were given; short term, mid term and long term.
The most moving/compelling input (IMO) were from the mothers and others that transport kids to/from the elementary school Monday thru Friday. They were very passionate about the need for keeping the light.

All in all it was a lively discussion. It got ugly a few times, as these things often do. People wanting to bring up ancient history items, mistakes of the past, etc. But quickly things got redirected to what needs to be done going forward.

I left before it was over, so not sure what CDOT or commissioners decided to do next.

Hopefully others will chime in with what I missed and their impressions of the meeting.

I learned a couple of things.
~62% of all Park County residents live in the Bailey area.
CR43 has more traffic than any other Park County road.

Post Posted: Oct 9, 2019 6:27 pm 
Thanks CnT, for the first hand report. did you hear anything about the Roland and Rosalie comments I shared?

Post Posted: Oct 9, 2019 6:34 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Yes, the mothers who need to cross from that side of 285 to Deer Creek elementary was very moving. It is hard enough to do it now. Without the light it would be much too dangerous.

And preliminary ideas for them to drive around thru Burland then to the 72 overpass is just stupid IMO. A much better solution is obviously needed. But don't know what that might be.

I think everyone was in agreement that the light must stay for now. A thorough traffic study is needed. As I mentioned I think the study will begin in May.

Post Posted: Oct 9, 2019 6:44 pm 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
With both sides of 285 using this , then 72 exit go left or right . Um don't get the choas with volume of vehicles , its called growth both sides of 285 and 72 exit. It will be a wait and see period as to how the merge to go North or go left South . I need to let this go , the light removed puts the burden on us, to relieve 285 traffic.

Post Posted: Oct 9, 2019 6:48 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
JMiller quoting FB page(s) wrote:
Everything coming up to, going through and past Bailey will all be right turn only. This isnt just a 43a problem.... this is a much bigger problem."

Right turns only was just one of many ideas thrown out for consideration. It was met with many groans of disapproval.

But true this is not a CR43A light problem. It's the entire 285 stretch from Morrison to Buena Vista. Commissioner said that even towns like Gunnisson are very concerned about how 285 problems are adversely impacting them too. But the meeting focus was the stretch through the Bailey area.

Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next