It is currently Apr 8, 2020 12:21 pm 

Do you or someone you know need some help with a project?
Click here to contact the Neighborhood Action Team.

COVID19 Information Webpage | COVID19 Guidance Forum

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Re: What's wrong with UPS lately? (Conifer)
Post Posted: Mar 25, 2020 9:33 am 
Infrequent Pinecam poster
Infrequent Pinecam poster
watermanofevergreen wrote:
I make deliveries for my business and in all due respect to you and the UPS driver, there is a point in which you have to make a decision as a driver. The lower part of your drive is in the shade with snow pack and maybe ice. Perhaps the driver didn't or couldn't see the upper part of the drive and made a decision to avoid getting stuck. Not sure if he was chained up. But to leave a notice as you mentioned is perhaps unacceptable. It's great you had the video. Maybe it's another driver on this route.

My business has unfortunately had to turn down several deliveries this winter due to the adverse driveway or road status as a result of these persistent weather conditions. I understand a driver's decision yet understand your frustration. It's been a tough winter for sure for deliveries.

Exactly! Unusual circumstances sometimes mean you can’t reasonably expect normal service such as items walked to your door; YOU might have to walk to get them.

I now live in a different part of CO than our old Pinecam place, but the road we live on is not maintained even though it is public. Two days ago a UPS driver foolishly tried to take the horribly sticky-clay, deeply-rutted uphill section of it as a “shortcut.” He got badly stuck. Tore up a traction aid, three sets of chains, which we noticed left there the next day durig our walk. He finally managed to back down (badly, too). We found out that he so delayed the deliveries in this “shortcut” that two other trucks had to meet him at the nearest maintained intersection, divvy up the remaining parcels, and deliver those. They got done at 11 pm. So much for minutewise and hourfoolish.

The previous winter, I instructed the trash pickup service to only go to the nearest good intersection, that instead of having them pick up in front of our driveway I would handpull the trash bin there. I did that the entire winter from late November through April. It was a very tough snow year in our part of the state.

Sometimes you just have to do a little extra as an individual to make the whole thing run more normally.

Oh...when we did live in Pinecam turf, our road AND driveway were both horrrendously steep and narrow. The UPS driver would chain up before starting on that road, and he RAN packages up to the top of our driveway, until I told him he could just leave them out of sight near the bottom, that I would track expected delivery dates. He was a senior driver (senior in experience, not that old) and because I took the time to formally praise his many years of good service, he soon showed up with one of the rewards—one of the TWO 4WD trucks for the entire service region!

So be kind to your service providers, all of them!

Post subject: Re: What's wrong with UPS lately? (Conifer)
Post Posted: Mar 25, 2020 9:14 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
I gotta say that I have the world's BEST UPS delivery professional. His name is Eric and he always calls me by name. He knows the names of my neighbors as well, and always come packin' treats in his pockets for times when my 'dogbell' is outside barking to let me know that the brown truck has arrived. Several times in the past year my deliveries have been shifted to the Junior G-Man squad and I generally ask why, both of Eric as well as of the newbie. They always tell me that business is booming and Eric's route has gotten so large that it's sometimes necessary to split it up. That's good news for the guys in brown, but not always for me. Eric is the consumate professional and a credit to UPS.

Just a suggestion for GIrl-Giving-Life ... I've seen many homes with a large covered plastic bin at the end of their driveway, placed there specifically for package deliveries. I don't know if every delivery goes into the bin or if it's something the homeowner has worked out with the driver to use only in adverse conditions, but it surely must beat digging through the mud or snow to find an anticipated package. It's just a thought...

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2