It is currently Dec 9, 2019 6:45 am 

Do you or someone you know need some help with a project?
Click here to contact the Neighborhood Action Team.

Reply to topic  [ 5091 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 418, 419, 420, 421, 422, 423, 424, 425  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Re: Interesting Facts
Post Posted: Nov 14, 2019 3:29 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Thanks for the bit on Korcula Henry, both of my paternal grandparents were born on Korcula in the towns of Blato and Vela Luka. My wife and I did a cycling trip in 2007 along the Dalmatian Islands and I got to meet and stay with relatives while we were on Korcula, such a beautiful area.

"Sunshine is delicious, rain is refreshing, wind braces us up, snow is exhilarating; there is really no such thing as bad weather, only different kinds of good weather" - John Ruskin

Post Posted: Nov 14, 2019 3:46 pm 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
wxgeek wrote:
Thanks for the bit on Korcula Henry, both of my paternal grandparents were born on Korcula in the towns of Blato and Vela Luka. My wife and I did a cycling trip in 2007 along the Dalmatian Islands and I got to meet and stay with relatives while we were on Korcula, such a beautiful area.

Everything I've heard and read about Korcula agrees with you, wx. Very beautiful and tranquil.

“Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here. This is the war room.” ~ President Merkin Muffley (Peter Sellers), Dr. Strangelove

Post Posted: Nov 15, 2019 7:57 am 
The Battle of Trafalgar

The Battle of Trafalgar is one of the most decisive naval battles in history. The momentous battle had a single British fleet defeat the combined forces of both France and Spain. The battle took place on October 21st, 1805 off the coast of Spain.

The battle was led by Admiral Horatio Nelson, who had built a reputation by foiling Napoleon Bonaparte. Nelson divided his 27 ships into two divisions and signaled a now-famous message from the flagship “England expects that every man will do his duty.”

During the five-hour battle, England defeated all 19 of the enemy’s ships. They managed to do all of this without losing a single ship of their own. However, 1,500 British seamen were either killed or injured during the battle, including Nelson. He was shot twice by a French sniper and died.

Nelson was honored as the savior of Britain as the win meant that Napoleon would never invade Britain. He was given a massive funeral at London’s St. Paul Cathedral. He is now immortalized by a famous column in Trafalgar Square in central London.

In Depth

“Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here. This is the war room.” ~ President Merkin Muffley (Peter Sellers), Dr. Strangelove

Post Posted: Nov 16, 2019 8:27 am 
Bessie Stringfield

In the 1930s America, an African-American woman riding a motorcycle across America was more than just impressive. Bessie Stringfield was born in 1911 in the Southern United States. She taught herself how to ride a motorcycle at the age of 16 and that’s when her adventures began.

Bessie Stringfield

For a black woman paving a way that has never been walked before, the road wasn’t kind. Ann Ferrar, Bessie Stringfield’s friend and her authorized biographer, is writing a new memoir and biography of Stringfield. The new book, still in progress, builds on Ferrar’s earlier stories about Bessie, such as that in her book debut “Hear Me Roar: Women, Motorcycles and the Rapture of the Road” (NY: Crown, 1996).

Ann Ferrar

According to Ferrar, as an African-American, Stringfield was often denied accommodation during her travels, leaving Stringfield no other choice, but to sleep on her Harley motorcycle, or, if she was lucky, stay with black families that she met. On top of that, she was refused a prize in a race she entered, purely because she was a woman. Despite all the odds, Bessie Stringfield achieved what others thought impossible for a black woman.

She became the first African-American woman to ride across the states solo, defying racial and gender barriers, as well making another 7 long distance trips in the USA, Europe, and Brazil. The woman performed motorcycle stunts in carnivals, served as a courier for the US Army during WWII until her presence in the motorcycle scene attracted media attention and she earned the title of “The Motorcycle Queen of Miami”.

In her advanced age, Bessie suffered from a chronic heart condition. For as long as she was able, she defied doctor’s orders to quit riding. In Bessie’s last few years, her longing to ride another Harley never left her. Bessie died in 1993 at the age of 82. Her spirit and determination continue to inspire many thousands of riders throughout the world.

In Depth

Post Posted: Nov 16, 2019 11:54 am 
Very impressive lady!

Post Posted: Nov 16, 2019 1:19 pm 
TillerBee wrote:
Very impressive lady!

Agree.

Post Posted: Nov 17, 2019 8:24 am 
Myths

Humans Have More Than The Commonly Cited Five Senses

The number of senses in various categorizations ranges from five to more than 20. In addition to sight, smell, taste, touch, and hearing, which were the senses identified by Aristotle, humans can sense balance and acceleration, pain, body and limb position, and relative temperature. Other senses sometimes identified are the sense of time, echolocation, itching, pressure, hunger, thirst, fullness of the stomach, need to number 1, need to number 2, and blood carbon dioxide (CO2) levels.

===============

Napoleon Bonaparte Was Not Short

He was actually slightly taller than the average Frenchman of his time. After his death in 1821, the French emperor's height was recorded as 5 feet 2 inches in French feet, which in English measurements is 5 feet 7 inches (1.70 m). He was actually nicknamed le Petit Caporal (The Little Corporal) as a term of endearment. Napoleon was often accompanied by his imperial guard, who were selected for their height—this could have contributed to a perception that he was comparatively short.

===============

The Forbidden Fruit Is Not Apple

The forbidden fruit mentioned in the Book of Genesis is never identified as an apple, a misconception widely depicted in Western art. The original Hebrew texts mention only tree and fruit. Early Latin translations use the word mali, which can be taken to mean both "evil" and "apple". In early Germanic languages the word "apple" and its cognates usually meant simply "fruit". German and French artists commonly depict the fruit as an apple from the 12th century onwards, and John Milton's Areopagitica from 1644 explicitly mentions the fruit as an apple. Jewish scholars have suggested that the fruit could have been a grape, a fig, wheat, an apricot, or an etrog.

===============

Thomas Edison Did Not Invent The Light Bulb

He did, however, develop the first practical light bulb in 1880 (employing a carbonized bamboo filament), shortly prior to Joseph Swan, who invented an even more efficient bulb in 1881 (which used a cellulose filament).

===============

Fortune Cookies Were Invented In Japan, Not China

Fortune cookies, despite being associated with Chinese cuisine in the United States, were invented in Japan and introduced to the US by the Japanese. The cookies are extremely rare in China, where they are seen as symbols of American cuisine.

===============

There Was No Widespread Outbreak Of Panic Across The United States In Response To Orson Welles's 1938 Radio Adaptation Of H.g. Wells's The War Of The Worlds

Only a very small share of the radio audience was even listening to it, and isolated reports of scattered incidents and increased call volume to emergency services were played up the next day by newspapers, eager to discredit radio as a competitor for advertising. Both Welles and CBS, which had initially reacted apologetically, later came to realize that the myth benefited them and actively embraced it in later years.

===============

George Washington Did Not Have Wooden Teeth

His dentures were made of gold, hippopotamus ivory, lead, animal teeth (including horse and donkey teeth), and probably human teeth purchased from slaves.

===============

Hair And Fingernails Do Not Continue To Grow After A Person Dies

Rather, the skin dries and shrinks away from the bases of hairs and nails, giving the appearance of growth.

Post Posted: Nov 17, 2019 9:02 am 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Henry wrote:
... Jewish scholars have suggested that the fruit could have been a grape, a fig, wheat, an apricot, or an etrog.

Thank you for adding to my vocabulary with this new datum of information. I had never heard of this, and had to go look it up because it sure looked like a typo or bogus name to me.

Post Posted: Nov 17, 2019 9:18 am 
keg wrote:
Henry wrote:
... Jewish scholars have suggested that the fruit could have been a grape, a fig, wheat, an apricot, or an etrog.

Thank you for adding to my vocabulary with this new datum of information. I had never heard of this, and had to go look it up because it sure looked like a typo or bogus name to me.

Weird. I had to look it up, too. :)

Post Posted: Nov 18, 2019 8:17 am 
The Last Survivor

It was recently reported that the last remaining survivor of the Hindenburg disaster had died at the age of 90.

Photo by Sam Shere – International News Photo

Church services were held Friday for Werner G. Doehner, who died on Nov. 8 at a hospital in Laconia, New Hampshire.

Werner Doehner at age 90

Doehner was the only person left of the 62 passengers and crew who survived the May 6, 1937, fire that killed his father, sister and 33 others.

Hermann (died) and Matilde (survived), Werner’s parents

Irene (died) , Walter (lf) Werner (rt) (both survived)

As the 80th anniversary approached in 2017, Doehner told The Associated Press that he and his parents, older brother and sister were returning from a vacation in Germany on the 804-foot-long LZ-129 Hindenburg to Lakehurst Naval Air Station in New Jersey.

The LZ-129 Hindenburg

As the Hindenburg arrived, flames began to flicker on top of the ship. Hydrogen, exposed to air, fueled an immense inferno.

Doehner said his mother threw him and his brother out of the ship before she too escaped.

Matilde in 1963 (d. 1981)

In Depth

Post Posted: Nov 18, 2019 11:08 am 
My goodness, the was brave of his mother to throw him and his brother out of the ship! I guess she had to pick between burning in the blimp or dying from a long drop. She sure chose the right action.

Post Posted: Nov 18, 2019 11:18 am 
TillerBee wrote:
My goodness, the was brave of his mother to throw him and his brother out of the ship! I guess she had to pick between burning in the blimp or dying from a long drop. She sure chose the right action.

There's nothing like a mother's instinct. Her personal safety was probably the furthest thing from her mind.

Reply to topic  [ 5091 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 418, 419, 420, 421, 422, 423, 424, 425  Next